Historic Best Defensive Linemen

Newbomb

I'd say Tracy Rocker has to be the first mentioned...

my vote goes to Zeke Smith since he was a 2 time all american(?) and is the name on the award we give out for best defensive player each year.

he was decent.

Aundrey Bruce

Didn't Bruce play LB at Auburn?

DeMarco McNeil, Sen'Derrick Marks, and Gerald Robinson deserve a mention as well.

Gotta put Tracy up at # 1, for bringing it all 4 years.

Fairly , for an unbelievable season. Seriously folks, the smash of a QB, causing a fumble, and then recovering it, to stifle any hope of scoring by the updykes, is as legendary as it gets.

Aundrey Bruce

Didn't Bruce play LB at Auburn?

DeMarco McNeil, Sen'Derrick Marks, and Gerald Robinson deserve a mention as well.

I thought he was DE. Could be wrong as I was only 8 when he was wrecking havoc off the edge.

Audrey Bruce had one of the most ridiculous games vs GT @ Grant Field.

But he was a LB.

Audrey Bruce had one of the most ridiculous games vs GT @ Grant Field.

But he was a LB.

Shows you what I know. :dunno: He was a damn good one, I do know that.

1. Nick Fairley (best season)

2. Tracy Rocker (best career)

3. Gerald Robinson

4. Quentin Groves

5. Zeke Smith

6. hard to rate everyone else... in no particular order... Sen'Derrick Marks/DeMarco McNeil/Benji Roland/Ron Stallworth

I have a feeling that in 4-5 years We'll be having this conversation again with 2.. maybe 3 strong additions to this list.

1. Nick Fairley (best season)

2. Tracy Rocker (best career)

3. Gerald Robinson

4. Quentin Groves

5. Zeke Smith

6. hard to rate everyone else... in no particular order... Sen'Derrick Marks/DeMarco McNeil/Benji Roland/Ron Stallworth

I have a feeling that in 4-5 years We'll be having this conversation again with 2.. maybe 3 strong additions to this list.

You cannot have a list with Zeke Smith lower than 3.

He was dominant in his day.

1) Tracy Rocker 2) Nick Fairley 3) Zeke Smith 4) Donnie Humphrey 5) Gerald Robinson 6) Benji Roland 7) Quinton Groves 8) BBQ Tate 9) Aundray Bruce 10) Dowe Aughtman

Auburn had a reputation for turning out top DL talent in the 80's and had some good one's in the 70's. I already made a top 10 list but after thinking about it again I came up with some that I failed to mention. Frank Warren, Rodney Bellamy and more recently Jay Ratliff.

Jimmy Brumbaugh was a good one as well

He would probably be in the top 3 if he hadn't been injured.

Even with the injury his senior yr, he managed 291 career tackles from the interior of the line.

I've seen Auburn play since 1954. I've watched all these great lineman play in Auburn. From 1954 to 2012 I pick Zeke Smith (jersey #61 ). And please remember his teammate Jackie Burkett (jersey #50) also two time All-American should rank a tie with Zeke. Thanks to their great play in 1957, 1958 & 1959 Auburn lead the nation in total defense plus two unbeaten seasons in 1957 & 1958. And what's really remarkable they are the only ones named who played offensive and defensive. How could I almost forget big Jimmy "Red" Phillips (jersey #88, All-America and later All-Pro) who played both ways at end and was a senior on the 1957 National Champ team. The whole team played both ways. I would rank "Red" Phillips as #3 . What a great time period to be an Auburn Tiger!

Archived