Texas A&M Recruit's dad, says other schools offered money

Skyler97

http://bleacherrepor...-for-commitment

Texas A&M freshman wide receiver Ricky Seals-Jones was one of the most heavily recruited high school players in the nation before he committed to the Aggies last December.

According to his father, Chester Jones, the 5-star wideout left a $600,000 deal on the table from a collegiate powerhouse before ultimately choosing College Station as his new home.

CBS News reporter Armen Keteyian collaborated with Sports Illustrated's Jeff Benedict to author a new book entitled, The System: The Glory and Scandal of College Football, in which the duo tackle various layers and angles of college football that the casual fan would never see.

As reported by Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! Sports, Keteyian is speaking out in advance of the book's release by sharing some of the more mind-blowing details from his vigorous investigation on the subject, and the news on Seals-Jones is quite shocking.

According to Keteyian (via Wetzel), there's a full chapter in The System devoted to the recruitment of the former Sealy High School star.

Per the report, a "top-20 program" offered Seals-Jones and his family "$300,000 in cash, use of a luxury suite during football season, eight season tickets and $1,000 per month for Ricky and $500 for the family" if he signed their National Letter of Intent.

The elder Jones took it a step further, claiming that the offer was "a lot higher than that," and that in addition to the $600,000 offer, one ACC and one SEC school offered to double any monetary figure the Seals-Jones family was weighing from another program.

In the end, Seals-Jones and his family rejected all of them "out of principle and the fear of inevitably getting caught."

247Sports' composite rankings listed Seals-Jones as the No. 25 player nationally in the 2013 class. He was also ranked as the No. 2 athlete in the nation and the No. 2 player in Texas.

Seals-Jones is expected to play an important role as a freshman in Kevin Sumlin's offense this year. As you can see from this Aggie Sports tweet, the young wideout has been mixing in with the first team on occasion.

I doubt 600k for a single player. That's absurd.

Don't kid yourself. It could be close to that amount.

Reggie Bush got well over $300,000....and that was a few years ago. And the NCAA wasn't able to track all of the cash he and his family received. We'll never know all the money that was funneled to players at USCw. Or bammer either. Albert Means was just one kid. There are many more.

I am going to guess Ole Miss. After seeing some of those pics from last years recruiting class for them I wouldn't put it past them.

I think if it were bammer, the article would say "top 10" or higher program, rather than "top 20." JMO

guess we can breathe a little easier...

So when Cecil Newton and Cam walked away from the MSU offer the speculation was that Auburn must have offered more. Will be interesting to see if the media treats Texas A&M and Chester with the same type of accusations.

If it was an SEC team, I'd be willing to bet it was Ole Miss.

You know, the team that went 7-6 last year, didn't have any coaching change, and had like five 5 stars on campus at one time during the offseason.

I do remember reading that we tried tied recruit him.The "top 20 program" takes us out of the discussion.

That sounds like an awful lot of $$$'s for Ole Miss to be involved.

This is who Scout "claims" was in the mix.....

Texas A&MVerbalYes Nonecheck.gif

AlabamaNo InterestNo None

BaylorNo InterestYes None

LSUNo InterestYes 11/02/2012

MississippiNo InterestYes None

Notre DameNo InterestYes None

OklahomaNo InterestNo None

Oklahoma StateNo InterestNo None

OregonNo InterestNo None

SMUNo InterestYes None

TCUNo InterestYes None

TexasNo InterestYes None

Texas TechNo InterestYes None

I think he visited LSU twice. Once for Jr. Day and once again during the 2012 season. At one point he was committed to Texas. Again, since Cecil and Cam were automatically assumed guilty for walking away from MSU's offer then Ricky and Chester must be guilty too of picking a school based on a better offer. :poke:

Oh and since MSU didn't get in trouble for arranging meetings between boosters and recruits & family then I assume the programs mentioned by Ricky must be safe too.

Oh boy if it's LSU and something does happen with this story to get them in trouble.... All that talent in that state that they would lose....licking chops...

Why is dude's Dad snitching anyway? He didn't tell anyone but now feels compelled to for a guy who is writing a book? Right. I bet there is something else to this story, there always is.

I don't believe this crap. Writers have lost all integrity and respect due to their constant lies, innuendo and rumor mongering. I think it's just another liar trying to sell his book.

Why is dude's Dad snitching anyway? He didn't tell anyone but now feels compelled to for a guy who is writing a book? Right. I bet there is something else to this story, there always is.

He may regret that he mentioned it later when they starting checking his finances to see if he got cash from an booster at A&M.

Archived