We have to start throwing the football

DyeHardAllTheWay

The run offense is amazing and against the after TAM opponents it's been obviously more than enough. Pretty sure everyone gets.the if it ain't broke thinking. The only question that's being asked is when/if we face a defense that can force our hand, is working on it only during practice more important than the black ops, no game film approach. Again, it's just a question.

Stat's Upon Further Review post has some interesting thoughts on this issue.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with what Gus and the offense are doing. If they can't stop it, don't stop doing it. Kind of reminds me of the days when Oklahoma's wishbone was so good.

That is a great analogy. Back then you knew Oklahoma was going to run it, but most teams couldn't do anything about it. The AU OL makes this all work. I am sure UGa and Bama will be geared to stop our run option game but if anybody knows the counter to that, it will be Gus.

The run offense is amazing and against the after TAM opponents it's been obviously more than enough. Pretty sure everyone gets.the if it ain't broke thinking. The only question that's being asked is when/if we face a defense that can force our hand, is working on it only during practice more important than the black ops, no game film approach. Again, it's just a question.

Stat's Upon Further Review post has some interesting thoughts on this issue.

Much thanks. I'll check it out.

I ran through this thread pretty quickly and may have missed something.

Let me get this straight, we're sitting at 9-1 because we've been running the ball so effectively... so we need to pass more because we have tougher opponents down the road? Something about that doesn't make sense to me :dunno:

We only have 2 opponents left so I'm not sure about the "we have tougher opponents down the road," comment. It sounds as if we still have a whole season of football ahead. Also, if running the ball get's us the W, I'll take it every time. Besides, I'm not too concerned about the passing game if we need to open it up (See Texas A&M, Miss St.).

I guess I should be thankful though. Instead of seeing complaints about a 3 win season I now get to view comments about how fancy we need to get against others.

"Best comment I heard on TV was that they think Gus is going to pull a whole lot more offense out for the IB. Teams can't prepare for what they don't see."

Pretty sure Coach Saban has a lot of fresh ideas saved up for the Barn as well.

The Barn? Really? I'm all for free expression, but this is an AU forum. Please, ban the bammer.

Best comment I heard on TV was that they think Gus is going to pull a whole lot more offense out for the IB. Teams can't prepare for what they don't see.

I dont know that this is true, but it would seem to be a great idea. Would love to see what practice looks like these days. If CGM tricks alabama into stacking the box and then throwing over them or making them make adjustments on the fly, that would be great.

We saw first hand that once we adjusted in the 2nd Half of the IB in 2010 they never countered the adjustments.

And trying to be all things to all people, a la CGC, usually ends very badly.

I agree we need atleast to be able to throw the ball amd I am not surw we can enough to beat bama. I am all behind run it until they stop it jut no way we run like this on bama. There will be more 3rd downs in the bama game and I am not confident we can throw when we need to. But for now if the run game is winning games then do not change. Just don't think it will be enough to beat bama.

Just because we have nothing better to do let's compare some numbers to see if we should be concerned about our passing threat.

I know that Auburn was playing catch up and bama was protecting a lead but let's look at LSU game numbers anyway.

Auburn had 437 total yards to bamas 372

Auburn had 224 passing to bamas 179

Auburn had 213 rushing to bamas 193

How about the aTm game where both of us were in a shoot out?

Auburn 615 total - bama 568

Auburn 236 pass - bama 334

Auburn 379 run - bama 234

Starting with the Ole Miss game I have seen an offensive line impose it's will on teams. This has only strengthened the moral and "swagger" of the offensive line, Tre, and most importantly, Nick. You can see it on Nick's face now. He knows that he can play in the SEC. We are gashing teams for 300 and 400 yards rushing week after week!!! There is only one way Georgia can prepare to stop a rushing attack like ours. In my wildest dreams did I think that I would be able to say this at anytime this year.

TO STOP AUBURN, YOU MUST FULLY COMMIT TO STOPPING THE RUN!!! :muscles:

This only makes the passing game open up if need be. I don't feel that Georgia or even the mighty fighting sabans can try to base (conservative) defense us out of our gameplan of running, running, and running. At some point they will have to get out of their comfort zones and stop the run. Can they do it? Absolutely! But does anyone reading this think that Gus does not have a counter? (no pun intended)

I know I am sunshine pumper but its time for the Auburn faithfull to make the next leap and get out of our comfort zone and face facts.

WE ARE A DEADLY RUSHING ATTACK!!! :wareagle: Don't be scared to face reality.

Now if only Ellis has been hiding a deadly sacking machine of a gameplan in his back pocket :bananadance:

the funny thing is, they can't stop the run and when we decide to pass. usually they can't stop that either. we have the best offense in the SEC

YES!!! Now we need the rest of the Auburn family to believe this.

It's a New Day and we ARE GOOD!!!

Time to get up stretch, learn to say that Auburn belongs, and unleash that locked up :homer: .

Makes me want to dance :party:

Some people just need to calm down. Did you know when you throw the ball 3 things can happen. And 2 of them are bad. So when you can run the ball like we are why throw it. Especially when we have 2 play 80 yard drives while running

I really like how CEJ adjusts. I just hope it doesnt take until halftime to do it. We have got to have better LB play. I hope Frost is not hurt, that would kill us.

That is a concern but at the same time I believe he has done a magnificent job with what he had to work with. We do get two weeks to get guys some much needed rest and healthy. Also more time to prepare for the game and come out and play better in the first half.

Only 440 yards rushing....those punt and kick-off returns probably cost the offense another 150 rushing yards or so.

Otherwise Gus is a "run first" coach and I think was just playing some games with UT by coming out with passes right away. Once he got that out of his system (probably responding to people moaning on this board about AU not passing enough)...then the team went to work and steam-rolled the UT defense. And granted the UT rush defense was pretty poor coming into the game...so why not take advantage of it?

Best comment I heard on TV was that they think Gus is going to pull a whole lot more offense out for the IB. Teams can't prepare for what they don't see.

Exactly! I hope we beat UGA with nothing but run.....we shall see. War Eagle!

Well get ready. i doubt that you see double digit pass attempts this week(unless Nick gets hurt and Jeremy has to carry the load). UGAs D is not much better than UTs. Doing what brought us this far is the best chance to keep Gurley and Murray on the sideline.

Bottom line, if you don't like what you've seen so far, don't expect it to change this week.

Exactly! I hope we beat UGA with nothing but run.....we shall see. War Eagle!

Well get ready. i doubt that you see double digit pass attempts this week(unless Nick gets hurt and Jeremy has to carry the load). UGAs D is not much better than UTs. Doing what brought us this far is the best chance to keep Gurley and Murray on the sideline.

Bottom line, if you don't like what you've seen so far, don't expect it to change this week.

UGA is second in SEC against the run. Should be fun.

Maybe I read the OP wrong but it seemed to me what he was saying is that he hopes the passing game is developed as well as the running game. It's more of a "sharpen your saw" kind of thing. Our running attack has gotten deadly, as someone put it, through practice, use, and execution. Our passing game has mainly only utilized practice (with a little use, and even less execution). For us to assume that our team can come out and rely heavily on the passing game, if it had to, would be the equivalent of having our head in the sand (to which we have proven in recent history that we are quite capable of...the sand part).

This view point doesn't make me or anyone else a "bammer" or mean that I/we don't love and support Auburn. It's just an outside opinion.

Yeah okay, I'm a "bammer" because I'm afraid of Bama beating Auburn. If anything, you're the "bammers" because of your flawed logic and immaturity!

All I'm saying is that I'm a little concerned with the lack of passing game we've had. Watching Alabama play right now scares me. They will shut down the running game and then we'll have to throw it. I hope we're prepared.

I see what you are saying, and I agree with you, but from a different perspective. I love running the ball down opponents throats, even when they put 9 men in the box, and still can't stop us. However, I think the area this may hurt us is with recruiting. 5-star WR's want the ball in their hands. They do not want to learn to be great blockers. I'm sure they realize what our gameplans are, and the coaches are assuring them we can/will throw the ball, but if I'm an elite WR recruit, and I see 16 passes over the past two games, I may start to think of going to a more "pass-happy" offense. Hope I'm wrong, and I also hope Gus is just baiting the hook for the Iron Bowl, where we come out and run formations/plays that no one has seen before, and whip bammer by 50+ points.

In Gus we Trust!!! War Eagle!!!

I swear some people just don't get it...

When you know that you can run the ball for 400 yards against a team then you do it.

Look at it this way. We aren't giving UGA or Alabama anything to study and that is a really good thing!

You are 100% correct. Gus knew we could beat the likes of Arky & TN with just a downhill running game and very little passing. The leg-humpers and turds will see a much different Auburn offense. I can't wait to see Napoleon of Tuscaloser cringe when Auburn is running the HUNH down his little throat.

I believe we can run the ball on UGA and Bammer. It is our defense that is going to have to step up in both games. That will be the key. We can't let Gurley and the two Bammer backs run it on us at will and we are going to have to turn up the heat on Murray and McCarron.

If our offense needs to do anything different it is Nick and the backs holding on to the ball and the receivers catching the ball when it hits them in the hands.

Archived