2016 4* TE Landon Rice (AU commit 11/20/13)

CameronCrazy

I've often wondered why we don't use a TE more than we do. They are being used all over the NFL very effectively. Great for check downs, delayed crossing patterns and seam routes. Cam and Greg Olsen put on a show last night against the Colts.

Right now we just don't have the horses. The guys having success in the NFL right now are almost all freak athletes or just incredible football players. Greg Olsen was a first rounder out of Miami.

If we get another Lutz, we'll get him involved. If we would have gotten OJ Howard, he'd be involved.

All of the above is just my uneducated opinion, though, and I hope somebody more football savvy than me chimes in.

I thought Lutz was a fair player at Auburn and he had a big catch vs bama in 2010, but he was by no means a "great" tight end. If he were he would have been drafted.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've often wondered why we don't use a TE more than we do. They are being used all over the NFL very effectively. Great for check downs, delayed crossing patterns and seam routes. Cam and Greg Olsen put on a show last night against the Colts.

Right now we just don't have the horses. The guys having success in the NFL right now are almost all freak athletes or just incredible football players. Greg Olsen was a first rounder out of Miami.

If we get another Lutz, we'll get him involved. If we would have gotten OJ Howard, he'd be involved.

All of the above is just my uneducated opinion, though, and I hope somebody more football savvy than me chimes in.

I thought Lutz was a fair player at Auburn and he had a big catch vs bama in 2010, but he was by no means a "great" tight end. If he were he would have been drafted.

Injuries derailed his NFL career moreso than talent. Remember that he had a rough time staying on the field his last year.

You don't seem to have much info at your disposal. Let me help you out:

2011 -- AP Second Team ALl-SEC ... Coaches All-SEC Second Team ... Sports Illustrated Honorable Mention All-American ... SEC Coaches Pre-Season Third Team ... Phil Steele All-SEC Second Team ... Mackey Award Watch List ... Sports Illustrated Preseason All-SEC Team ... Phil Steele Preseason All-SEC Third Team ... Played in 12 games with 11 starts ... Third on team in receptions (24), receiving yards (238), while leading team with seven TD receptions ... Tied for third nationally with seven touchdown catches by a tight end...

2012 -- Did not fully participate in spring drills recovering from injury ... AFCA Good Works Team nominee.

PS- He still managed to sign with the Rams as a UFA.

2011 -- AP Second Team ALl-SEC ... Coaches All-SEC Second Team ... Sports Illustrated Honorable Mention All-American ... SEC Coaches Pre-Season Third Team ... Phil Steele All-SEC Second Team ... Mackey Award Watch List ... Sports Illustrated Preseason All-SEC Team ... Phil Steele Preseason All-SEC Third Team ... Played in 12 games with 11 starts ... Third on team in receptions (24), receiving yards (238), while leading team with seven TD receptions ... Tied for third nationally with seven touchdown catches by a tight end...

2012 -- Did not fully participate in spring drills recovering from injury ... AFCA Good Works Team nominee.

Btw, I'm not arguing that Lutz was ever going to be a Gronkowski or even a Barnidge (cha-ching, picked him up off waivers 4 weeks ago). But he was a damn good college tight end and he was a key piece of our offense in 2010 and 2011. He didn't line up a ton next to the tackle and/or in a 3-point stance, but he was recruited as a "tight end" and did a nice mix of blocking and running routes, so I'm not sure the TE/HB distinction that some like to focus on is anything more than a matter of semantics.

Again, my point was that we will use a guy of his caliber if we have one, but the closest we've had since was Uzomah (who we used a lot more than we've used the two freshmen we currently have; he was more heavily recruited than both, but we didn't use him a ton when he was a freshman, either). Put another way, saying a tight end is "pretty much wasted in our offense" is like saying that a fullback is "pretty much wasted in our offense". Jay Prosch of the Houston Texans begs to differ.

Lutz had elite hands. He was just average at about everything else that's not intangibles

If he were on our team right now, do you think he'd be contributing in a meaningful way on the field? I do.

But he'd be vital in the redzone, at least I think he would. If nothing else he'd draw attention away from other players and maybe they'd make some plays. Olson did that a couple of times last night as well

But he'd be vital in the redzone, at least I think he would. If nothing else he'd draw attention away from other players and maybe they'd make some plays. Olson did that a couple of times last night as well

Yep, they ran the same play Lutzie scored on in the '10 IB, too.

Lol that's cute. Like I said. If he were an amazing tight end he would have been drafted. If you are that good a team takes a chance even with injuries. But don't let facts get in your way. You were right about his awards too bad no nfl team thought that highly. Also as a UFA he either didn't like it or didn't cut it cause he was coaching back here in Alabama before something happened to him.

Yep. 2012 sounds about right.

Yeah I hate when people present facts in a reasonable manner so I resort to childish comments about usernames too.

Yeah I hate when people present facts in a reasonable manner so I resort to childish comments about usernames too.

You remember Philip Lutzenkirchen making one big catch in his career at Auburn. Your thoughts on his career carry very little weight and you do not present facts in a reasonable manner.

I'm guessing you're not old enough to know who Gino Torretta is. Look him up if you really want to know what the NFL draft has to do with accomplishments in college football. Or since it's a little more in your realm of experience, you might recall a guy who quarterbacked Auburn to a national championship game but who is now playing cornerback in the NFL.

Again, Philip Lutzenkirchen was a very good tight end for Auburn. Top scoring tight end in school history and single season touchdown leader at the position. (those are facts, by the way.) It's a shame that he didn't go pro after 2011 when his draft stock was much higher (projected as a 3rd-4th rounder), but he was an awesome guy in addition to being a very good football player, so he stayed and got his degree. As a result, he got an injury that derailed his senior season and any chance he had at an NFL career.

If Landon Rice is as good as Lutzie was and/or doesn't get moved to DE, then he will contribute in this offense. Jalen Harris and/or Chris Laye might, also, but they are freshmen and obviously not immediate impact guys.

You remember Philip Lutzenkirchen making one big catch in his career at Auburn. Your thoughts on his career carry very little weight and you do not present facts in a reasonable manner.

I'm guessing you're not old enough to know who Gino Torretta is. Look him up if you really want to know what the NFL draft has to do with accomplishments in college football. Or since it's a little more in your realm of experience, you might recall a guy who quarterbacked Auburn to a national championship game but who is now playing cornerback in the NFL.

Again, Philip Lutzenkirchen was a very good tight end for Auburn. Top scoring tight end in school history and single season touchdown leader at the position. (those are facts, by the way.) It's a shame that he didn't go pro after 2011 when his draft stock was much higher (projected as a 3rd-4th rounder), but he was an awesome guy in addition to being a very good football player, so he stayed and got his degree. As a result, he got an injury that derailed his senior season and any chance he had at an NFL career.

If Landon Rice is as good as Lutzie was and/or doesn't get moved to DE, then he will contribute in this offense. Jalen Harris and/or Chris Laye might, also, but they are freshmen and obviously not immediate impact guys.

Interesting that you continue to argue if my thoughts carry such little weight. Just about as much as your thoughts might for that matter. I never said Philip was a bad tight end, or that I didn't like him. I am simply stating the undeniable fact that he was not some world beater that you project him as. He was good, but clearly not NFL level, regardless of why he stayed in school he did. He could have gone pro then come back to finish his degree like so many before and after him. And if you want to get down to it, those guys who didn't get drafted made the team didn't they? So even though they were undrafted they proved something as undrafted free agents something Philip apparently did not. Your facts carry about as much weight as your statement about my supposed age which mean nothing. Age can bring with it wisdom or stubbornness, you apparently chose the latter.

Oh yes, I agree about this year. I was referring more to the last few years when we did have them. Lutz and CJ were both pretty sure handed TEs and we didn't really feature them that much. Certainly not the way the NFL uses a tight end game in and game out.

So getting back to Landon guess no one knows if he plays basketball?

I heard he plays with the Harlem Globetrotters on the weekends.

He told Wade Christipher you go hard in the paint or you don't go at all.

Oh yes, I agree about this year. I was referring more to the last few years when we did have them. Lutz and CJ were both pretty sure handed TEs and we didn't really feature them that much. Certainly not the way the NFL uses a tight end game in and game out.

I wonder this, too, especially every time we get burned by a tight end from another team. It seems to be a glaring weakness in Gus's scheme. I wonder if he just never had good tight ends when he was developing the foundation.

I couldn't imagine him not playing because if he plays both tight end and d end I'd think he'd have to have good agility and footwork. I have seen that when some guys get around junior our senior season they sit basketball out to focus on football and vice versa. I don't remember if Reggie ragland played b ball his senior year but he was an awesome b ball player too....I actually think they used him at hb on short distances and tight end as well on offense

• 1 month later...

I just heard on the local radio that Rice has sent in his FAA paper work as well. I know I don't have a link and this is not as big news to our D as some but I think this is a great get for CGM. AU offense has shown that they are much better with a TE with good hands and can bloack (ie: Lutzy)

Archived