2016 4* TE Landon Rice (AU commit 11/20/13)

CameronCrazy

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just heard on the local radio that Rice has sent in his FAA paper work as well. I know I don't have a link and this is not as big news to our D as some but I think this is a great get for CGM. AU offense has shown that they are much better with a TE with good hands and can bloack (ie: Lutzy)

Happy to get that reminder. I must admit to sleeping on this guy a bit, maybe because he was locked in early and never wavered.

The lack of a quality TE this season was very noticeable. Don't know if Landon will immediately come in and contribute or if it will take some time, but this is a quality get for sure, and him being an EE might end up being a meaningful advantage.

Also happy to look up a couple posts and be reminded of the good point cole made about his potential athleticism.

Last thing: he seemed to pop up in a lot of photos with other recruits. Guys can contribute in a lot of ways.

I really, really like this kid....he has a Lutz kind of "feel" and I hope he can at least compare with him.

The only qualm that might be had by this kid is the nature of the wing T which makes more use of H-Backs, rather than tight ends. Almost all offenses use H-Backs now, especially in the NFL, though our variation of the wing T has made almost a niche of using these kind of hybrid backs. For one, Gus doesn't like to send TEs out on routes unless they are more like receiving TEs that Uzomah was. In that case, they are used more as an extra large Y receiver or Inside receiver. When there is a need for an in-line TE, gus simply brings in an extra OT because he doesn't have too many routes drawn up for Tight Ends that are attached. Sort of a disadvantage when you think about it. Not splitting a TE out and sending them on routes creates a sort of confusion in most defenses because the TE can invade either multiple zones, or they can place themselves in a location that can either make it hard for a safety who is playing Man to Man with them to cover due to it being in the middle of the field and with so much space. When TEs are exclusively used as receivers, being either in the Y or as an X in certain formations (Mostly NFL, like when they isolate Gronk with a corner) then unless you're dealing with a dynamic athlete, that TE loses the advantage of the field and it puts DBs in a situation that they are accustomed to, a limited area of space where they can control. Because let's be honest, few DBs want to start their cover in the box with all of those big bodies moving around so that's out of their element.

In regards to Rice, I definitely see this guy as more of an inline guy, which depending on what Coach Malzahn decides to do with his offense, might be a good thing and it might not. A lot of his production comes on Sub routes at the H-Back position during play action, which we don't even feature in our offense. (For some odd reason. High-Low levels type route combos with this type of play are a QB's best friend.) But it's definitely easy to see that this guy is an inline Y, so with that being said, he will either need to work on his route running and speed off the line to become more "Wide-Receiver Esque" so that we can split him out and have in the slot reminiscent of Uzomah and Lutz or he might become just another TE on the roster that isn't used. He definitely has to work on his skills at creating separation because it's hard to simply out-muscle and jump guys in the SEC, or any D1 college for that matter. Still he has solid hands, but he has to be able to create just a little bit more separation when being pressed one on one by a good defender.

The only qualm that might be had by this kid is the nature of the wing T which makes more use of H-Backs, rather than tight ends. Almost all offenses use H-Backs now, especially in the NFL, though our variation of the wing T has made almost a niche of using these kind of hybrid backs. For one, Gus doesn't like to send TEs out on routes unless they are more like receiving TEs that Uzomah was. In that case, they are used more as an extra large Y receiver or Inside receiver. When there is a need for an in-line TE, gus simply brings in an extra OT because he doesn't have too many routes drawn up for Tight Ends that are attached. Sort of a disadvantage when you think about it. Not splitting a TE out and sending them on routes creates a sort of confusion in most defenses because the TE can invade either multiple zones, or they can place themselves in a location that can either make it hard for a safety who is playing Man to Man with them to cover due to it being in the middle of the field and with so much space. When TEs are exclusively used as receivers, being either in the Y or as an X in certain formations (Mostly NFL, like when they isolate Gronk with a corner) then unless you're dealing with a dynamic athlete, that TE loses the advantage of the field and it puts DBs in a situation that they are accustomed to, a limited area of space where they can control. Because let's be honest, few DBs want to start their cover in the box with all of those big bodies moving around so that's out of their element.

In regards to Rice, I definitely see this guy as more of an inline guy, which depending on what Coach Malzahn decides to do with his offense, might be a good thing and it might not. A lot of his production comes on Sub routes at the H-Back position during play action, which we don't even feature in our offense. (For some odd reason. High-Low levels type route combos with this type of play are a QB's best friend.) But it's definitely easy to see that this guy is an inline Y, so with that being said, he will either need to work on his route running and speed off the line to become more "Wide-Receiver Esque" so that we can split him out and have in the slot reminiscent of Uzomah and Lutz or he might become just another TE on the roster that isn't used. He definitely has to work on his skills at creating separation because it's hard to simply out-muscle and jump guys in the SEC, or any D1 college for that matter. Still he has solid hands, but he has to be able to create just a little bit more separation when being pressed one on one by a good defender.

It would be nice to see Gus incorporate the TE or split him out more into sets. We have the athletes though, it would be nice to add that wrinkle or weapon to keep defenses off balance

You really need to think about becoming a coach or scout. I appreciate all the knowledge you have shared the last couple of days even though it makes most of us look stupid. Lol. War Eagle

It would be nice to see Gus incorporate the TE or split him out more into sets. We have the athletes though, it would be nice to add that wrinkle or weapon to keep defenses off balance

True, seems like wishful thinking though because we never did it when the QBs were struggling and TEs and their routes usually are some of the best things to get QB's acclimated into the pass game since a lot of their routes break off inside of the hashes and away from the difficult areas of the field.

You really need to think about becoming a coach or scout. I appreciate all the knowledge you have shared the last couple of days even though it makes most of us look stupid. Lol. War Eagle

Lol I'm a long way from that level I'd think. Really its more just generic analysis from the basic components of the game and I guess based on experience, which is still fresh, I can rationalize or break down things. I still have a lot to learn in terms of the theoretical aspects of football as well as learning football on a greater level. Still I def appreciate that.

Lol I'm a long way from that level I'd think. Really its more just generic analysis from the basic components of the game and I guess based on experience, which is still fresh, I can rationalize or break down things. I still have a lot to learn in terms of the theoretical aspects of football as well as learning football on a greater level. Still I def appreciate that.

Well, no one better to learn from than the mastermind himself. I, for one, have not only appreciated your insight, but have also been impressed by how well you articulate your thoughts. Not only do you seem to have coaching potential, but you'd also be a great sports analyst/writer. You should team up with Stat. His deep data and your football acumen could be a scary good combination.

I agree with all of the people encouraging you to haunt the football offices until someone wises up and makes you a part of the team, one way or another. Auburn can always use men like you.

One day.......just maybe.....we actually implement the screen game into this offense. I know it could be helpful on 3rd and intermediate/long and when a team is sending the house on a regular basis. It's an area I haven't seen very much of and we need to utilize it.

One day.......just maybe.....we actually implement the screen game into this offense. I know it could be helpful on 3rd and intermediate/long and when a team is sending the house on a regular basis. It's an area I haven't seen very much of and we need to utilize it.

I complained about this several times this year. I don't think you should run the screen every other play like CAB did, but throw it in there every now and then to keep them honest.

Archived