2015 4* LB Darrell Williams commits to AU!

EagleDamnWar

Williams . to me jmo. He's never been all in. I hope I'm wrong. He's a talented kid and could play as a freshman.

Not so sure I agree. Tre Williams was a 5 star out of HS and he saw very little PT this year.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody notice the UA all star game rosters posted yesterday on alcom? Just from memory all of the bammer commits are on one team and all of ours (except one) is on the other team. Guess which one is with the bams?

Anybody notice the UA all star game rosters posted yesterday on alcom? Just from memory all of the bammer commits are on one team and all of ours (except one) is on the other team. Guess which one is with the bams?

Interesting. This could mean something or not, but since it seems as though Bama is his first choice, he will be able to spend a lot of time with their commits. Not a good thing.

It's not a bad thing either. The reason he isn't committed to Alabama is because they haven't offered him, and they don't appear to have him in their plans. It doesn't matter how much he likes Bama or their commits. If he doesn't have an offer, he can't go there. If he gets one, I expect him to flip. The amount of time he spends with their people is kind of irrelevant.

It's not a bad thing either. The reason he isn't committed to Alabama is because they haven't offered him, and they don't appear to have him in their plans. It doesn't matter how much he likes Bama or their commits. If he doesn't have an offer, he can't go there. If he gets one, I expect him to flip. The amount of time he spends with their people is kind of irrelevant.

That makes sense. i dont follow this but in your opinion do you think they just dont have a spot for him? I mean he's a terrific prospect isn't he?

For some reason we don't play our talented freshmen as much

Could be they are not as talented as some folks think. It's a big step up from HS to the SEC and despite all the bickering on this site Frost and Casanova were pretty good....they were 4 and 5* guys a few years ago too....and just check around but not many of the better SEC programs have true freshmen playing at key positions....it's usually a last resort.

As for Tre...his time will come and with the defense likely to change next season he might have more opportunity.

Hire muschamp, pull this guys scholly, and move on. Simple as that, at some point Gus will have to tell these bama wanna b's to pack up and go. We only want kids that want to be at AU, instead of trying to hold on to AU if bama don't call. We go thru this every year with an instate kid. And will continue to do so until we recruit exclusively out of state players with the exception of a small percentage in this state whom actually happen to be fans of AU, IMO

Could be they are not as talented as some folks think. It's a big step up from HS to the SEC and despite all the bickering on this site Frost and Casanova were pretty good....they were 4 and 5* guys a few years ago too....and just check around but not many of the better SEC programs have true freshmen playing at key positions....it's usually a last resort.

As for Tre...his time will come and with the defense likely to change next season he might have more opportunity.

He will have more opportunity, and then people will wonder why this kid hasn't played as much. Just like cole said.

That could be true but the fact we aren't that deep should even that theory out a little. And why would it be we missed on ALL the recruits. I could see if it was sporadic but NONE of our defensive recruits were as good as we thought? I guess we won't ever know but I really believe if Williams had went to bammer he would have played more and clearly they are deeper. Their corners played more we redshirted ours and changed their position.....

I think it's been accepted for quite some time that the only way this guy comes to Auburn is if bammer doesn't give him a comittable offer. If we don't find and land another LB before signing day and Williams flips, it's on us, not Saban.

It does put us in a bad spot though. Because we basically have to hold his spot knowing all the time he could dump us at the last minute. If we give an offer to another LB then he stays with us we miss out on another position. Oh and it's still on Saban for playing this game.

With two starting Linebackers graduating next year and so few of the others having a lot of PT an extra LB would not hurt us one bit

That makes sense. i dont follow this but in your opinion do you think they just dont have a spot for him? I mean he's a terrific prospect isn't he?

Not that terrific or UAT would want him. However, we will have four (count 'em 4...Garrett, Swain, Frost, McKinzy) senior LB's next year. We have made no provision to keep the LB larder fully stocked. An "extra" would not be extra at all, he is essential and a fourth LB signee would be far from too many.

Not that terrific or UAT would want him. However, we will have four (count 'em 4...Garrett, Swain, Frost, McKinzy) senior LB's next year. We have made no provision to keep the LB larder fully stocked. An "extra" would not be extra at all, he is essential and a fourth LB signee would be far from too many.

Especially if we go back to a 4-3.

(I'm done disagreeing with Mikey. It's like chasing internet points across a minefield. WE NEED MORE LBs.)

That could be true but the fact we aren't that deep should even that theory out a little. And why would it be we missed on ALL the recruits. I could see if it was sporadic but NONE of our defensive recruits were as good as we thought? I guess we won't ever know but I really believe if Williams had went to bammer he would have played more and clearly they are deeper. Their corners played more we redshirted ours and changed their position.....

You must be joking....Reuben was a 5* and mostly on the bench his second year and Evans playing special teams. People actually think AU would have kept Tre on the bench if he was better than the guys who were playing? We saw him a few times during the year and not to be critical but he was just not ready.

No I'm not kidding at all and Evans played more than special teams and maybe Reuben just wasn't all that smart. Alabama actually have a history of playing their linebackers young. Corners and safeties as well. I can even think of some d linemen as well. Guess they get "lucky"more often.....since Saban been there I can name you at least 5 guys that played for them freshmen until they left that school whereas we haven't but they have traditionally had a better defense and more depth let's say the 5 years or so.

Evans played a LOT for that team. Reuben isn't on the sidelines because he can't understand plays. He's on the sidelines because Dickson and DePriest were much better than him, and Saban decided to shorten his rotation instead of trying to save those two.

I think it's a mix. Some of our freshmen play. Lawson played. Adams played. Daniel played. Ruffin played. Tre Williams started to play, but essentially we made the same decision as Saban. We preferred to play a three man rotation at LB as opposed to getting Tre reps. He couldn't match the experience/ability level of Frost/McKinzy/Swain. Garrett was a late season add that got 15 snaps a game at LB, which basically sealed the deal on Tre getting reps.

Alabama gets some guys like Landon Collins or A'Shawn Robinson that are just ready. Evans was the same. So all three of those guys played. None of them started as freshmen. I was surprised Tre and Roberts fell out of the rotation this year. I expected to build their involvement, but it didn't happen.

As for Williams, I think they have more needs at other positions, and I think they have a lot of guys higher on their board that are still available. If that changes, they might offer him, but they've over-signed at LB for a few years. They don't have needs at that position the way they do at QB or DB or DE. They also have 21 current commitments. They do have numbers limits the same as everyone else.

I'm just saying it's funny to me how we haven't had any guys like Mcclain, Hightower, dareus, Barron, Kilpatrick, Moseley, Collins, Robinson etc. Well I guess i can say lemonier and Lawson if he didn't get hurt. But it seems like with our defense being less talented and deep that there would be more opportunity for guys to come in and make a quicker impact. We don't let our guys play it doesn't seem. I won't forget 2012 against lsu how the young guys came in brought energy that game. Then boom sat them down, they weren't ready.....

I'm not sure what you mean by that list though. A number of those guys didn't really contribute as true freshmen. Are we talking about top level talent by the time they leave? If so, you'd have to say Dee Ford, Corey Lemonier, and Nick Fairley are recent examples. Certainly we've been lower on top-shelf talent, but that means two things: (1) dudes don't go pro early and (2) the incoming freshmen are probably the same caliber guys. We've been predominantly four-star guys for the better part of the last six years.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that Saban may try to offer this kid a grey shirt at the very last minute. This would keep us from getting him and Saban and the kid would both be happy.

I'm including the redshirts. I don't have a problem with that I'm saying we hear about how great our guys are but don't see them for three years because they're not ready....while our defense is less talented while not as deep. How does that make sense? We're missing on 90% of our players? Meanwhile some of the guys I named are headed to the nfl while some of ours have sat 3 years to be able to play in our highly effective complex defense....That just doesn't make sense to me

I'm including the redshirts. I don't have a problem with that I'm saying we hear about how great our guys are but don't see them for three years because they're not ready....while our defense is less talented while not as deep. How does that make sense? We're missing on 90% of our players? Meanwhile some of the guys I named are headed to the nfl while some of ours have sat 3 years to be able to play in our highly effective complex defense....That just doesn't make sense to me

Some guys just take longer to develop..... like Frost. Also.... look at Kennion and Westry from this class.... we take some some players that are projects and hope to strike gold.

Archived