2015 4* LB Darrell Williams commits to AU!

EagleDamnWar

I feel sorry for recruits that get used as pawns in a game they really don't understand. I watched Darius Philon seek out and talk to Gus after the Arky game and wondered what that young man must be thinking.

Philon played a good game for Arky against Texas Tech. Glad he seems to have made the most of that signing day debacle.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I saw on Rivals, he does have a Bama offer.

According to 247, which normally is much better than Rivals, yes he has an offer but no it's not committable.

So if he doesn't have an offer from bama are they recruiting him or is he recruiting them?

They are interested in him but it looks like they may not have room in the end. He grew up a Bama fan so he is understandably peaked by their interest. I would not say he is recruiting them but he would love for their offer to become commitable.

I know we need LBs but if it were me, and he was saving a spot in case he doesn't get in at $puat, I'd tell him to cut bait. I'd rather have a kid whos heart is in Auburn.

I know we need LBs but if it were me, and he was saving a spot in case he doesn't get in at $puat, I'd tell him to cut bait. I'd rather have a kid whos heart is in Auburn.

I'd be recruiting another LB or two real hard. We can take Williams and another one but if Williams lets the turd juice from UAT get in his eyes and we don't have another very, very solid guy on board we'll end up short of our goals at the position.

I'd be recruiting another LB or two real hard. We can take Williams and another one but if Williams lets the turd juice from UAT get in his eyes and we don't have another very, very solid guy on board we'll end up short of our goals at the position.

Yep....getting into these head-to-head battles with Bama over in state kids has not worked out very well for us with defensive players. Like it or not, NS has pretty much sold these kids on the bama-way to the NFL. This argument has not sold as well out of state and there is plenty of talent out there for us to chase.

So if he doesn't have an offer from bama are they recruiting him or is he recruiting them?

They are interested in him but it looks like they may not have room in the end. He grew up a Bama fan so he is understandably peaked by their interest. I would not say he is recruiting them but he would love for their offer to become commitable.

The good news is that once on campus he will fall in love with Auburn like everyone else so if we get him I'll be happy. It would also be good for us to start getting kids from Hoover to come our way.

TRUST IN GUS!!!!!!!! :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle:

That only works so far. Foster and Evans say howdy.

I really do think that if a player has committed to AU he should be out there on the social media helping us recruit. If he's not doing that, we need to have an alternate standing by because that guy is not "all in". Sure, in the end he may sign with us but on the other hand he may not. Guys that won't help recruit are very probably not "committed" in the true sense of the word.

I really do think that if a player has committed to AU he should be out there on the social media helping us recruit. If he's not doing that, we need to have an alternate standing by because that guy is not "all in". Sure, in the end he may sign with us but on the other hand he may not. Guys that won't help recruit are very probably not "committed" in the true sense of the word.

^ Good common sense here, that unfortunately isn't so common. ^

TRUST IN GUS!!!!!!!! :wareagle:/> :wareagle:/> :wareagle:/> :wareagle:/>

Maybe, but certain guys like Smith, Kim and Sharpe don't do social media and are as committed as they come.

Can't trust al.com that but there have been enough articles about him to leave the impression that he is an AU commit until he has a real offer from bama....and then he is gone....too bad if it happens ...but a player needs to be where he wants to be....and not at AU because his favorite did not make him an offer.

I am surprised with our obvious need at LBer we don't have several high ranked LBers high on us. Any insiders care to speculate. I hate the idea of Williams holding out for an offer from bammer. I would rather have 2 tough SOBs that might be 5'-10" instead of 6'-3" that would love to play for us.

Not an insider but I think to this point we just have not recruited that much nationally. I do think with the way the program is looking we will though.

Maybe, but certain guys like Smith, Kim and Sharpe don't do social media and are as committed as they come.

Are you saying Williams doesn't do social media, doesn't have a cell phone to text other AU recruits, and the like?

I am surprised with our obvious need at LBer we don't have several high ranked LBers high on us. Any insiders care to speculate. I hate the idea of Williams holding out for an offer from bammer. I would rather have 2 tough SOBs that might be 5'-10" instead of 6'-3" that would love to play for us.

The staff does not see the need at LB that Mikey and others on here feel. Their plan all along was to take a minimum of 2 and at most 3 if 3 was a stud. I'm not sure on other high ranked LBs but I know with Ro Smith way have too many LB bodies on roster that are fairly young and too many committed combined at LB and Star for his taste so he dropped AU.

The staff does not see the need at LB that Mikey and others on here feel. Their plan all along was to take a minimum of 2 and at most 3 if 3 was a stud. I'm not sure on other high ranked LBs but I know with Ro Smith way have too many LB bodies on roster that are fairly young and too many committed combined at LB and Star for his taste so he dropped AU.

The problem is, if we lose Williams we're down to one without any other obvious LB prospect, "stud" or otherwise, waiting in the wings. One McBryde is a long way from three studs.

Williams is just in a good position where he can dictate to AU how the recruitment will go. He is a good LB and we need good LBs. Therefore he has the power in this relationship. I personally wish the coaches had a backup plan (and maybe they do) but it is also possible that they like Williams so much more than anyone else that they are willing to role the dice on bama not having a spot for him. If he signs with AU and contributes in the future then all this chatter will not matter. Players can be successful and useful to there second choice school. Philon at arky is a perfect example. I bet arky fans weren't overly excited about getting a bama cast away at the time. But they love him now!

Are you saying Williams doesn't do social media, doesn't have a cell phone to text other AU recruits, and the like?

Having a cell phone and texting recruits isn't social media, and none of us would know if he is or isn't. He does have a twitter account but doesn't put much out publicly. If he is DMing others, we wouldn't know about private messages.

For the record, I agree that its nice to have players recruit for the school they are committed to. But just bc it's not done publicly doesn't mean it isn't done. I don't know if DW is or isn't recruiting others to AU or Bama for that matter.

Having a cell phone and texting recruits isn't social media, and none of us would know if he is or isn't. He does have a twitter account but doesn't put much out publicly. If he is DMing others, we wouldn't know about private messages.

For the record, I agree that its nice to have players recruit for the school they are committed to. But just bc it's not done publicly doesn't mean it isn't done. I don't know if DW is or isn't recruiting others to AU or Bama for that matter.

I agree with this. Also not all kids are into Social media.

I don't recall a player that was actively recruiting for us flipping. Some that commit and then stay in the corner, not helping and having little or no contact with their fellow recruits are cause for worry. Call it social media, texting, twitter, whatever, they all use these things to a large extent.

Obviously the point here is: If you're on board, grab an oar and help with the rowing! If you don't want to row, get off and we will recruit and find another who will.

The question/problem becomes, who is the other?

The coaches know the situation better than any of us, but if there is strong evidence this kid is just waiting for a UAT offer, and we are just hoping this offer doesn't come, let's cut some bait, then fish for another.

Obviously the point here is: If you're on board, grab an oar and help with the rowing! If you don't want to row, get off and we will recruit and find another who will.

The question/problem becomes, who is the other?

The coaches know the situation better than any of us, but if there is strong evidence this kid is just waiting for a UAT offer, and we are just hoping this offer doesn't come, let's cut some bait, then fish for another.

The staff feels confident we will keep DW. Not sure if their view changes if Bama gives a committable offer but that's where things stand now.

Archived