2016 3* RB Jalin Buie

EagleDamnWar

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get excited over two years in advance commitments either. However, if a future star is going to commit to somebody today it's better us than another school. He can change his mind but so can we so it costs us nothing to be ahead of the game.

What kind of football factory have they built at that school? A 6-A public school in the middle of Miami wouldn't normally have that many D-1 prospects! Recruit much?

Jacksonville Fl is a long way from Miami Fl

I don't get excited over two years in advance commitments either. However, if a future star is going to commit to somebody today it's better us than another school. He can change his mind but so can we so it costs us nothing to be ahead of the game.

What kind of football factory have they built at that school? A 6-A public school in the middle of Miami wouldn't normally have that many D-1 prospects! Recruit much?

And your comment is intended to mean what? I said a 6-A school in Miami wouldn't normally have as many D-1 prospects as this private school in Jacksonville, leading one to believe they recruit. I'm very familiar with the geographic differences between Jacksonville and Miami. Does that help you out a bit?

And your comment is intended to mean what? I said a 6-A school in Miami wouldn't normally have as many D-1 prospects as this private school in Jacksonville, leading one to believe they recruit. I'm very familiar with the geographic differences between Jacksonville and Miami. Does that help you out a bit?

Yes. Your OP came across like you thought he was from Miami instead of Jaxvegas.

Yes. Your OP came across like you thought he was from Miami instead of Jaxvegas.

And that is the way I took it...

I actually read it initially the way Mikey intended, though it could be read either way. No reason to take sides here, IMO.

Anyways. I hope Jalin grows another couple inches before he graduates high school, but regardless, welcome to him and happy to have him on board! And I'm sure he's the real deal to be getting an offer this early.

Interesting this was a surprise to coaches....I know these kids are young but you would think they stay in touch with coaches on the team they are getting ready to commit to. I have heard others mention it and I agree that he wanted to commit to save his place as his brother lost his offer spot a few years ago to Tre Mason I believe.

I actually read it initially the way Mikey intended, though it could be read either way. No reason to take sides here, IMO.

I read it to mean that Mikey thought it odd that a public school in Miami would have that much talent, much less one in "JaxVegas". E, I know you like accuracy but maybe taking sides isn't something a Moderator should be doing? I only bring it up because I KNOW you wouldn't want anyone jumping at any chance they had to prove you wrong, which is what this looks like. I would say the same thing to Mikey if the situation were reversed.

Interesting this was a surprise to coaches....I know these kids are young but you would think they stay in touch with coaches on the team they are getting ready to commit to. I have heard others mention it and I agree that he wanted to commit to save his place as his brother lost his offer spot a few years ago to Tre Mason I believe.

This is going to happen sometimes with the way the recruiting game has been evolving. I'm sure that the staff is capable of dealing with it no matter how it turns out. Trinity as Mikey pointed out has a ton of Div. 1 talent. IYAM, his teamate and 2015 3* Safety Edwards, may be our next commitment hopefully followed by 5* LB Jeffrey Holland. (Please let this happen!)

Guest jojo1515

Listed at 5'8", looks more like 5'0" lol. I'm betting the 5'8" is a slight stretch because he looks like what you would expect most sophomores to look like on a varsity team. Doesnt have the size or the speed to wow you, but when he gets that ball in hands, he's got some moves and good vision. Wonder if he'll grow any taller being so young still (not that it would be a prerequisite)

Listed at 5'8", looks more like 5'0" lol. I'm betting the 5'8" is a slight stretch because he looks like what you would expect most sophomores to look like on a varsity team. Doesnt have the size or the speed to wow you, but when he gets that ball in hands, he's got some moves and good vision. Wonder if he'll grow any taller being so young still (not that it would be a prerequisite)

I guess you could look up his brother and maybe get an idea...

Very shifty back with great vision. Looks to be a better fit for Oregon's O than ours. The coaches know what's best tho.

Looks to be a better fit for Oregon's O than ours.

Why?

I'm guessing because Oregon likes to spread people out and run it and we do more of a power run game. Jalin seems more suited to a spread running game as opposed to a power run game.

Small backs are great and they are ruling the college and NFL game now. If I could get a midget (sorry small person) that ran a 4.3, he would be my back (granted he held on to the ball as he was flung across the field). We need guys like this for the OMac position as well as the RLouis position.

Ellitor, do you know what percentage of our verbal commitments over the years have signed on NSD? I've started to really enjoy following recruiting the last 4 years, but for some reason I still can't emotionally get excited about kids verbally committing. Too many flips for me to every really appreciate it when a good guy commits. Maybe if I knew it was like 85+% or something I could start having more emotion. Does anyone else feel this way? There are some guys that you just know are solid, like Roc and Sean, but most the time I'm waiting for disappointment.

Small backs are great and they are ruling the college and NFL game now. If I could get a midget (sorry small person) that ran a 4.3, he would be my back (granted he held on to the ball as he was flung across the field). We need guys like this for the OMac position as well as the RLouis position.

Stanton Truitt is your guy then. 5'8" (if I remember correctly) and he was a track star in high school.

Ellitor, do you know what percentage of our verbal commitments over the years have signed on NSD? I've started to really enjoy following recruiting the last 4 years, but for some reason I still can't emotionally get excited about kids verbally committing. Too many flips for me to every really appreciate it when a good guy commits. Maybe if I knew it was like 85+% or something I could start having more emotion. Does anyone else feel this way? There are some guys that you just know are solid, like Roc and Sean, but most the time I'm waiting for disappointment.

There has been 2 whole staff changes the past 6 years so that would be a bad stat to get caught up in for recent years. Also it is very difficult to keep track of that unless you are doing it as it goes. With that said, the years there were not major staff overhaul I would say the % signed to committed is about 90%. The high profille flips to Bama like CK and TJ makes the perception to be worse than it is numerically.

Looks to be a better fit for Oregon's O than ours.

Why?

I'm guessing because Oregon likes to spread people out and run it and we do more of a power run game. Jalin seems more suited to a spread running game as opposed to a power run game.

Because he's small? 5'8 180 as a high school sophomore... he will likely end up playing college ball at 1-2" taller and 15-20 lbs heavier. And that wouldn't be small.

Also, the power in our run game comes from the OL. We have had powerful backs- to include Tre Mason, another RB who got written off by Auburn fans even as late as midseason this year as too small, and who will now be at worst the second RB taken in the NFL draft- but our success in the run game this year was primarily because of a ridiculous push from the OL combined with the misdirection and numbers advantages created by the zone read and, as pointed out to me by a fellow board member early in the season, Delaware Wing T stuff.

Regardless, even if this guy doesn't line up as a traditional RB, Gus has shown time and again that he is fully capable of using less traditional RBs with deadly results. Corey Grant and, as douggwilliams points out above, Onterio McCalebb agree with me on this.

There has been 2 whole staff changes the past 6 years so that would be a bad stat to get caught up in for recent years. Also it is very difficult to keep track of that unless you are doing it as it goes. With that said, the years there were not major staff overhaul I would say the % signed to committed is about 90%. The high profille flips to Bama like CK and TJ makes the perception to be worse than it is numerically.

A few years ago I saw a breakdown on some recruiting site. The number, nationally, was exactly 90% of committed players end up signing with the school they originally committed to. This was a national figure, not specific to Auburn, but like ellitor I think it's pretty close to our experience.

Archived