James Franklin trying to destroy Vanderbilt recruiting class

RunInRed

I don't like this at all but is it uncommon? I am trying to think of similar situations. Often when a HC changes schools he steps up a notch and might be looking to recruit better talent than he was previously. I feel bad for Vandy, they are always fighting an uphill battle there anyway.

I wish more kids would commit themselves to the school that is recruiting them and not the coach that is.

I don't like this at all but is it uncommon? I am trying to think of similar situations. Often when a HC changes schools he steps up a notch and might be looking to recruit better talent than he was previously. I feel bad for Vandy, they are always fighting an uphill battle there anyway.

I wish more kids would commit themselves to the school that is recruiting them and not the coach that is.

As the article states, the extent Franklin is doing it, it is uncommon. Penn St already had a solid recruiting class by Big Ten standards also.

Will be interesting to see who inherits the PSU "commits". They are shown on Rivals with 21 commits...mostly 3*....so maybe with the common expectacton of OBrien leaving, they were not doing so well. Franklin probably expects he can improve the class and maybe he want's kids that will play his style.... :dunno:

Will be interesting to see who inherits the PSU "commits". They are shown on Rivals with 21 commits...mostly 3*....so maybe with the common expectacton of OBrien leaving, they were not doing so well. Franklin probably expects he can improve the class and maybe he want's kids that will play his style.... :dunno:

As I stated above Penn St was already doing well in recruiting. They were in the top 25 of the composite before O'Brien left and Franklin took over.

"It was less than two years ago that Franklin stood before a signing-day crowd supporters at Vanderbilt’s Student Life Center and said players who decommitted from his program were not “men of honor” and “men of integrity.”"

And the double standard lives on. I know coaches have to be upset about a prospect flipping from their school and a lot of things are said in the heat of the moment, but I don't see how you even let yourself make comments like that anymore knowing it's absolutely going to come back and bite you.

"It was less than two years ago that Franklin stood before a signing-day crowd supporters at Vanderbilt’s Student Life Center and said players who decommitted from his program were not “men of honor” and “men of integrity.”"

And the double standard lives on. I know coaches have to be upset about a prospect flipping from their school and a lot of things are said in the heat of the moment, but I don't see how you even let yourself make comments like that anymore knowing it's absolutely going to come back and bite you.

I hope the coach Vandy hires points this hypocrisy out when talking to recruits that Franklin is trying to take with him to PSU.

If these allegations are true, I think it is very clear who lacks honor and integrity here! He won't be missed in the SEC.

If he didn't try to take some recruits with him he might be the first coach in history to change schools without trying to bring some guys with him. What do we have on here....6 year olds who believe a coach who says "I'm not leaving except in a pine box" or "players should honor their commitments", or "I hope to retire from this school". All that kind of talk is meant for that moment only.

As for Franklin and Vandy....IMO this has nothing to do with Vandy..and everything to do with the expectations that the people at PSU have for their program. In the previous two years their classes were ranked 51st and 43rd. Recruiting classes ranked in the 20s are not going to help Franklin build that program back to their glory days. PSU indeed has some good commitments...but there is room for JF to improve that class....and the amazing thing to me is that some kids originally targeted for Vandy could actually help do that.

Got no problem with what he said and it holds true...."players committed to his program" well those commits were committed to his program, so it would make sense for those guys to follow him to his program

If he didn't try to take some recruits with him he might be the first coach in history to change schools without trying to bring some guys with him. What do we have on here....6 year olds who believe a coach who says "I'm not leaving except in a pine box" or "players should honor their commitments", or "I hope to retire from this school". All that kind of talk is meant for that moment only.

As for Franklin and Vandy....IMO this has nothing to do with Vandy..and everything to do with the expectations that the people at PSU have for their program. In the previous two years their classes were ranked 51st and 43rd. Recruiting classes ranked in the 20s are not going to help Franklin build that program back to their glory days. PSU indeed has some good commitments...but there is room for JF to improve that class....and the amazing thing to me is that some kids originally targeted for Vandy could actually help do that.

I am not 6 and not liking Franklin has nothing to do with him taking Vandy's recruits. I dont like his style, never did. His sideline hubris, to be the coach at Vandy, was remarkable.

I am not 6 and not liking Franklin has nothing to do with him taking Vandy's recruits. I dont like his style, never did. His sideline hubris, to be the coach at Vandy, was remarkable.

I was/am not a big Franklin fan either...and was only responding to comments about his trying to ruin Vandy's recruiting class. Just sayin' that all coaches do that kind of thing and once a coach leaves a school, his mind and loyalty is to his new boss. Recruiting, as you know, is a dog eat dog world...just like AU fans suggesting we ought to be poaching FSU prospects while they are between coaches....my view? heck yes....go to it..and of course about a year ago we were all wondering how many kids Garner and Craig would bring with them to AU.

I was/am not a big Franklin fan either...and was only responding to comments about his trying to ruin Vandy's recruiting class. Just sayin' that all coaches do that kind of thing and once a coach leaves a school, his mind and loyalty is to his new boss. Recruiting, as you know, is a dog eat dog world...just like AU fans suggesting we ought to be poaching FSU prospects while they are between coaches....my view? heck yes....go to it..and of course about a year ago we were all wondering how many kids Garner and Craig would bring with them to AU.

In a nutshell explains the idiocy of a portion of our fanbase, if Auburn coaches flipped someone it is because they are great and doing a good job....if any other coach flips players from AU then.........too funny

In a nutshell explains the idiocy of a portion of our fanbase, if Auburn coaches flipped someone it is because they are great and doing a good job....if any other coach flips players from AU then.........too funny

I have no problem at all with coaches trying to flip players, etc. It's how the business is. I'm just saying it's extremely hypocritical for a coach to blast high school kids for not having any honor/integrity when they leave him, but then having no problem trying to flip a ton of recruits when he changes gigs.

Go try and flip whoever you want (personally I hope we're still working on trying to flip Ronnie Clark), but be mature enough to not throw a fit about it and call out 17-18 year olds when it happens to you. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd have hated to see Malzahn start blasting Reuben Foster, Dee Liner, etc after signing day last year.

As of today, Franklin has flipped 5 Vandy commits to PSU. They only have 8 commits left. Also, Herb Hand just announced that he is moving on to PSU.

As of today, Franklin has flipped 5 Vandy commits to PSU. They only have 8 commits left. Also, Herb Hand just announced that he is moving on to PSU.

''

Franklin really knows how to show Vanderbilt his appreciation for his 1st HC job. He has basically "Kiffined" vandy

''

Franklin really knows how to show Vanderbilt his appreciation for his 1st HC job. He has basically "Kiffined" vandy

Not sure who you should "blame"....maybe JF but also how about blaming a bunch of kids whose first allegiance is to their prospective coach and not to Vanderbilt which IMO is the superior school in this matter.

So maybe the answer is not to "blame" anyone ....and just accept that in college football, loyalty is a theoretical value among coaches and HS prospects too.

Too bad for Vandy...and meanwhile, I notice that Stanford is heavy on defensive players in their recruiting class...so will their new coach be able to bring a few kids who might like to have a chance to play for a quality school in the SEC?

''

Not sure who you should "blame"....maybe JF but also how about blaming a bunch of kids whose first allegiance is to their prospective coach and not to Vanderbilt which IMO is the superior school in this matter.

So maybe the answer is not to "blame" anyone ....and just accept that in college football, loyalty is a theoretical value among coaches and HS prospects too.

Too bad for Vandy...and meanwhile, I notice that Stanford is heavy on defensive players in their recruiting class...so will their new coach be able to bring a few kids who might like to have a chance to play for a quality school in the SEC?

you're right of course, my problem is I just dont like Franklin.

''

Derrick Mason has stated he will not go after Stanford commits. We'll see.

''

Derrick Mason has stated he will not go after Stanford commits. We'll see.

Good for him...but that might have been said before he learned that JF had raided his commitment class. Kinda like those gentleman's agreements in the Big 10....until Urban arrived on the scene.

As for JF...I'm pretty much with you blue....I just never got on the Franklin bandwagon...but had to admire that he made Vandy relevant again...even if it was partly at the expense of Auburn. Nice that the SEC east could no longer treat them the same as some mid-season FCS opponent.

I dunno-- it's not like Vandy had ANY winning tradition before Franklin for recruits to believe in. These guys mostly were drawn to the coach. If he didn't take the ones who were leaving they'd probably go elsewhere anyway.

Archived