2015 4* ATH Torrance Gibson (Ohio State signee)

ellitor

Many folks agree with my assessment that Ford was mediocre on D (see e.g. Al.com, Nov. 9, etc). Obviously I don't flame Rudy, nobody was harder on ole Ellis failure to coach up than me. I'll give you Reed who was #7 WR by Scout but also highly rated as a defender by Maxpreps but rarely showed his apparent potential. In any event, Gibson by most accounts is a rare athlete I hope we can sign.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take the current team talk to the football forum please.

FWIW. Here's a nugget part of a free article yesterday on Gibson Link

Sources tell us the Tigers believe they are very much in the picture.

I rarely hope AU doesn't sign a kid, but this is one of those instances. Lots of red flags apparently have popped up about this guy which caused schools to back off. And then he committed to Ohio State and we know Urban loves sketchy characters.

Just putting 2 and 2 together.

However, if he does sign with AU I hope the rumors are untrue.

I rarely hope AU doesn't sign a kid, but this is one of those instances. Lots of red flags apparently have popped up about this guy which caused schools to back off. And then he committed to Ohio State and we know Urban loves sketchy characters.

He seems like he has some growing up to do. Pretty cocky and immature. That's just my read on it. The guy can flat out play ball though and I would love to sign a player with his athleticism.

He seems like he has some growing up to do. Pretty cocky and immature. That's just my read on it. The guy can flat out play ball though and I would love to sign a player with his athleticism.

I agree. Gibson can flat out play. And he is very versatile. He could be a CB, S, or WR if QB doesn't work out.

I'd sign this kid in a heartbeat and wouldn't think a thing about it. Lots of kids need additional maturation after high school and I think he'd flourish under Gus.

I wouldn't sign him, but then again I don't get paid millions of dollars to make these decisions. I will just trust that Gus knows what he is doing.

I hear the reason he might flip is because of the 3 headed monster in Ohio State, but chances for starting any earlier at Auburn aren't much greater. JJ for the next 1 or 2 years then likely Shawn White for 2 more years after that, which would mean at the earliest, he wouldn't start for 3 years, and very possibly 4 years.

If he wants to play QB he will not see the field at AU for a couple of years at least. Will be interesting to see if he can handle that.

If he ends up at WR or safety, I would assume his path to playing time is only a matter of work ethic and football IQ. All indicators are he has all of the athletic tools.

I said long ago I'd like to see him at WR. Sounds like he has potential there.

If he wants to play QB he will not see the field at AU for a couple of years at least. Will be interesting to see if he can handle that.

If he ends up at WR or safety, I would assume his path to playing time is only a matter of work ethic and football IQ. All indicators are he has all of the athletic tools.

I said long ago I'd like to see him at WR. Sounds like he has potential there.

I think they would potentially put a few series for him running the read option.

I think they would potentially put a few series for him running the read option.

I think he could potentially have a shot at playing QB in 2016 if JJ were to have an amazing season and leave early. He could potentially beat out Sean White or Tyler Queen but that's only if his passing accuracy and consistency improves. Either way, they'd get him on the field in some capacity. I can imagine part of the pitch to Gibson was to have a fair shot at QB in 2015 and 2016 and to play other roles in the meantime. Gibson would be a heck of a wildcat QB for Auburn as would Jason Smith. Both would be on the field as WRs/TEs but running a quick pace, they could move into the shotgun behind center and take a snap for runs or passes downfield, especially since JJ doesn't have the same kind of running ability. If Gibson can improve his consistency as a passer, he could be a big time force to be reckoned with at QB. No doubt Malzahn wants him at Auburn to develop into Nick Marshall 2.0.

I think he could potentially have a shot at playing QB in 2016 if JJ were to have an amazing season and leave early. He could potentially beat out Sean White or Tyler Queen but that's only if his passing accuracy and consistency improves. Either way, they'd get him on the field in some capacity. I can imagine part of the pitch to Gibson was to have a fair shot at QB in 2015 and 2016 and to play other roles in the meantime. Gibson would be a heck of a wildcat QB for Auburn as would Jason Smith. Both would be on the field as WRs/TEs but running a quick pace, they could move into the shotgun behind center and take a snap for runs or passes downfield, especially since JJ doesn't have the same kind of running ability. If Gibson can improve his consistency as a passer, he could be a big time force to be reckoned with at QB. No doubt Malzahn wants him at Auburn to develop into Nick Marshall 2.0.

Be careful lca,you are saying this guy will beat out Drew Breese; er I mean SW for QB. That could get you in trouble.

Be careful lca,you are saying this guy will beat out Drew Breese; er I mean SW for QB. That could get you in trouble.

Yep, think I better check for sugar in my gas tank before I head for lunch.

why the hate on Sean White?

Because some of us dared to say that he has some qualities that remind us of Drew Brees (and Aaron Murray, all three of whom being almost the exact same size), and that Jeremy Johnson will probably be the starter but White might push him. Some others, who evidently reserve no room for colors beyond black and... wait for it... White (nailed it) interpreted this as "OH MY GOD SEAN WHITE IS FOOTBALL JESUS" and got quite worked up over it.

why the hate on Sean White?

No hate from me. I hope he turns out to be a great QB for us. I am certainly not wanting to start a debate on this again. I (like everyone else) have an opinion on our QB situation for the next few years. I will leave it at that. I certainly do not want to even be seen as disparaging SW or any other young man that wears the orange and blue.

Then there were the ones who expected SW to start over JJ THIS year.

Anyway back on Gibson, I'd LOVE to get him. He is the very definition of the word electric. It would sure be fun seeing him at AU. And as much as I'd LOVE seeing him here, to say he resembles Cam makes me question your judgement. Cams body was twice as thick as Gibson, even as a freshman. We must temper our expectations over any 17-18 year old kids. Seems like yesterday, Tyric Rollinson was the 2nd coming if Cam...

Archived