2015 4* ATH Torrance Gibson (Ohio State signee)

ellitor

If they plan on playing him as a true freshman, I think that's exactly where he'll be lined up. A Kodi Burns-ish type of role in the slot, maybe not getting alot of passes but being a guy who can run the wildcat pretty seamlessly without having to substitute. With Johnson probably not running the ball more than 5 or 6 times in a game, they need someone other than the starting RB to distribute the carries to keep the defense guessing. Louis' end-arounds will help but those only come about 2 or 3 times max. Either Jason Smith or Gibson (if he were to sign with Auburn) could fill the wildcat QB role nicely - or both for that matter. Running option with the ability to drop back and throw as well.

Gus hasn't run the Wildcat with an alternate QB with regularity since Frazier in 2011.

With Marshall, it was about 99% zone read and about 1% Wildcat.

Johnson is not a true dual threat, so the zone read with Johnson will be extremely scarce between the 20's. The times we'll see it will be inside the 5-yard line. And even that will be remote with Jovon Robinson/Roc Thomas as the main carriers.

I just don't believe Gus will re-introduce the Wildcat with regularity, esp with an alternate QB, when Johnson is big enough to convert 3rd & shorts with the zone read.

Gus used alternate QBs like Burns (2009) & Frazier (2011) because Todd & Trotter/Moseley weren't ideal ball carriers.

If we sign Gibson, IMO he'll be a QB and compete with White for the backup position.

IMO, Jason Smith will be a WR.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TG made the statement during the season last year that he would have already committed to them, but they didn't run the zone read or an offense that was friendly to him. So if his heart is in Miami, then there is no telling what Al Golden will tell him this weekend. Plus they need a QB much more than Auburn or Ohio State does. I really hope I'm wrong. I think TG would be an athlete receiver if we could convince him to change positions after he signed.

If AU pulls Slayton like many are thinking, Gibson at receiver for AU may be a luxury. Coaches may be thinking we need the spot for a DT if we could pull a good one.

You are totally correct. The outlook is getting less and less likely for us. Plus I was looking at his Twitter last night, and he and Lawrence Cager have apparently always wanted to play together, and he is actively recruiting him to the U.

Oh well... saves the spot for a defensive guy I guess... this sux. I really want Gibson at Auburn.

I think Torrance Gibson surprises everybody and commits to Miami after this weekend. I hope we get him but...

I love your screen name, and I've always wanted to go to a game there. Man... ever since the days of Hurley, Grant, and Laettner.

Back on topic, I hope you couldn't be more wrong about Gibson. The only thing I dont like is that he is left handed. Ive always found southpaw QBs to be... well... off, or backwards if you will. But it doesn't matter if he is left or right handed if he is catching passes... not saying thats what he would do... but...yeah...

Wasn't Michael Vick a lefty?

Yes. And he still is far as I've heard.

Yeah, but whether or not he's still a QB is up for debate.

Promise the kid we will give him the opportunity to play where ever he wants to play. You are not lying to the young man and giving him the chance to see where he can contribute and be on the field the most. I do think that he will likely be a WR if he comes our way. The last great southpaw we had was Jason Cox I believe. I know we did not run the HUNH then.

Gus hasn't run the Wildcat with an alternate QB with regularity since Frazier in 2011.

Johnson is not a true dual threat, so the zone read with Johnson will be extremely scarce between the 20's. The times we'll see it will be inside the 5-yard line. And even that will be remote with Jovon Robinson/Roc Thomas as the main carriers.

I just don't believe Gus will re-introduce the Wildcat with regularity, esp with an alternate QB, when Johnson is big enough to convert 3rd & shorts with the zone read.

Gus used alternate QBs like Burns (2009) & Frazier (2011) because Todd & Trotter/Moseley weren't ideal ball carriers.

If we sign Gibson, IMO he'll be a QB and compete with White for the backup position.

Why not? Like you said, he used wildcat in 2009 and 2011 because our QBs weren't ideal ball carriers. Also like you said, Johnson isn't a true dual threat. We didn't run wildcat with Marshall because Marshall could run read-option effectively, putting more pressure on the defense to defend him, the RB, and the WR end-around threat in addition to the pass. A wildcat option wasn't needed.

But without that threat at QB, with a QB like Johnson who CAN run the football but isn't particularly adept at it, why not introduce a wildcat threat to keep defenses from keying in on the RB with the run game?

I think it's a big part of Auburn's pitch to Gibson - "We'll give you a shot at QB this year but if you don't make it, we'll get you on the field." I doubt we land Gibson without promising some early playing time, especially if LSU and Miami and promising him the starting QB job, and with his type of talent, no reason to keep him on the bench unless he's really just not ready. But again, none of this even really applies unless he signs.

I think Torrance Gibson surprises everybody and commits to Miami after this weekend. I hope we get him but...

I love your screen name, and I've always wanted to go to a game there. Man... ever since the days of Hurley, Grant, and Laettner.

Back on topic, I hope you couldn't be more wrong about Gibson. The only thing I dont like is that he is left handed. Ive always found southpaw QBs to be... well... off, or backwards if you will. But it doesn't matter if he is left or right handed if he is catching passes... not saying thats what he would do... but...yeah...

Wasn't Michael Vick a lefty?

Yes. And he still is far as I've heard.

Yeah, but whether or not he's still a QB is up for debate.

Ha, very true!

Promise the kid we will give him the opportunity to play where ever he wants to play. You are not lying to the young man and giving him the chance to see where he can contribute and be on the field the most. I do think that he will likely be a WR if he comes our way. The last great southpaw we had was Jason Cox I believe. I know we did not run the HUNH then.

you mean Brandon Cox I think.

Why not? Like you said, he used wildcat in 2009 and 2011 because our QBs weren't ideal ball carriers. Also like you said, Johnson isn't a true dual threat. We didn't run wildcat with Marshall because Marshall could run read-option effectively, putting more pressure on the defense to defend him, the RB, and the WR end-around threat in addition to the pass. A wildcat option wasn't needed.

But without that threat at QB, with a QB like Johnson who CAN run the football but isn't particularly adept at it, why not introduce a wildcat threat to keep defenses from keying in on the RB with the run game?

I think it's a big part of Auburn's pitch to Gibson - "We'll give you a shot at QB this year but if you don't make it, we'll get you on the field." I doubt we land Gibson without promising some early playing time, especially if LSU and Miami and promising him the starting QB job, and with his type of talent, no reason to keep him on the bench unless he's really just not ready. But again, none of this even really applies unless he signs.

Oh I completely agree you HAVE to pitch early PT...and it has to be at least the Wildcat...and certainly a shot at beating out Johnson.

But once (if) he's on the team, I envision only Johnson running on short yardage. Like Cam and Marshall, it keeps the D from substituting.

Johnson is not a dual threat, but he's big enough to fall forward for a short gain when needed.

Why bring a Wildcat QB in on short yardage plays, allowing the D to substitute, when a 6'5" QB can fall forward for a yard, on occasion, when called on?

Again, it's substitution, particularly inside the 5-yard line that's critical for Gus' offense.

He doesn't point to the ground, pull his pants up and yell "RUN IT! HURRY UP! RUN IT! RUN IT!" for dramatics.

Well that's what I said. No reason to sub if you can have a player like that at a wide receiver position who can give you that option just by shifting over at the beginning of the next play. Rather than stop at the goaline and substitute a new player, keep a guy like Smith or Gibson on the field at wide receiver and move them in for wildcat. No need to sub if the personnel is already on the field.

Well that's what I said. No reason to sub if you can have a player like that at a wide receiver position who can give you that option just by shifting over at the beginning of the next play. Rather than stop at the goaline and substitute a new player, keep a guy like Smith or Gibson on the field at wide receiver and move them in for wildcat. No need to sub if the personnel is already on the field.

The odds of Smith/Gibson being in at WR full-time or even inside the red zone when it comes down to needing a rushing QB without substitution?

Slim to none.

With all due respect, I think you guys may be selling Johnson's running ability a bit short.

I feel the same way. The best is yet to come.

Completely disagreed. Johnson is not a Cam. Not a Marshall. Closer to Jason Campbell.

Please list plays where Johnson has run the zone read, Wildcat, or even taken off and scrambled for positive yardage over the past 2 seasons.

With all due respect, I think you guys may be selling Johnson's running ability a bit short.

Completely disagreed. Johnson is not a Cam. Not a Marshall. Closer to Jason Campbell.

Please list plays where Johnson has run the zone read, Wildcat, or even taken off and scrambled for positive yardage over the past 2 seasons.

Johnson ran 7 times for 47 yards in 2013. In 2014, he ran 4 for -7. Not sure which are from sacks (which count against the running game in the NCAA) and which are from designed runs.

Johnson runs much better than Jason Campbell. He ran the zone read more than once his freshmen year!

If he continues to put on muscle this off season and if he has a legit backup, he will run.

Johnson was a very good runner in high school. I know the competition is better, but the guy can run the ball. I watched enough "Friday Night Fever" on Montgomery's Channel 12 to know that. He's got fine open field speed and can bulldoze defenders when needed. He won't be called on to do what Cam or Marshall did, but when called on to run he's very capable of coming through for us.

Johnson was a very good runner in high school. I know the competition is better, but the guy can run the ball. I watched enough "Friday Night Fever" on Montgomery's Channel 12 to know that. He's got fine open field speed and can bulldoze defenders when needed. He won't be called on to do what Cam or Marshall did, but when called on to run he's very capable of coming through for us.

good to hear. Thanks

Who said Johnson was a Cam or a Marshall? Come on. You made a giant leap to get from "he might be a better runner than you think" to "he's among the best rushing QBs in college football history".

Also, the play calling for Johnson's extremely limited snaps is irrelevant. Cam played an entire game in 2010 with only 1 rushing attempt. That was about as meaningful and almost as many snaps as Johnson's entire resume at Auburn.

Finally, it's as inaccurate to compare Johnson to Jason Campbell in terms of rushing ability as it is to compare him to Cam or Marshall. There's a VERY wide gap between the two, and he's somewhere in there.

Yeah, I never said as good as Cam or Marshall. Just certainly better than the one yard at a time that was being referred to.

Guys if you'r gonna talk about current or former players take it to the football forum. Get this thread back on Gibson please.

That's pretty much what I said.

Good grief. No, it isn't. You said that JJ is not "a true dual-threat" QB and that those who expect JJ to run like Cam or Nick are crazy. Despite the fact that others responded that JJ is a very capable runner (no one had claimed he was either Cam or Nick), you also challenged folks to put up stats to prove that JJ was Cam or Nick.

But all of that is beside the point. This is the Gibson thread, not the current and former players thread. And it's not the 'I'm right, you're wrong' thread.

Good grief. No, it isn't. You said that JJ is not "a true dual-threat" QB and that those who expect JJ to run like Cam or Nick are crazy. Despite the fact that others responded that JJ is a very capable runner (no one had claimed he was either Cam or Nick), you also challenged folks to put up stats to prove that JJ was Cam or Nick.

But all of that is beside the point. This is the Gibson thread, not the current and former players thread. And it's not the 'I'm right, you're wrong' thread.

Yup, it is what I said. Coming through for us when called upon i.e. running short yardage conversions i.e. We won't need Jason Smith/Gibson to come in on 3rd & 1 to run the Wildcat.

That's fine tho. No one believed me when I said Marshall would run for 1000+ yards in 2013. Certainly don't expect folks to believe Johnson won't continue to make the zone read a staple.

Yup, it is what I said. Coming through for us when called upon i.e. running short yardage conversions i.e. We won't need Jason Smith/Gibson to come in on 3rd & 1 to run the Wildcat.

That's fine tho. No one believed me when I said Marshall would run for 1000+ yards in 2013. Certainly don't expect folks to believe Johnson won't continue to make the zone read a staple.

So, you're right and everyone else is wrong. Got it.

Wrong thread, though.

Archived