2015 4* ATH Torrance Gibson (Ohio State signee)

ellitor

Gus and Rhett know how to handle QBs. Gibson is the closest QB to Cam I've seen on film. He is WELL worth a spot.

Wherever he goes, will be very difficult to not play him.

Agreed. When he gets in space, he is usually gone! Td!

However, his comments about sitting for two years are not ideal because I'm really hoping White is next in line after JJ.

Maybe Queen after. Not sure he would be the man if he actually comes to Auburn.

I would rather sign him though.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And as much as I'd LOVE seeing him here, to say he resembles Cam makes me question your judgement. Cams body was twice as thick as Gibson, even as a freshman.

Tyric Rollinson was the 2nd coming if Cam...

No. Rollison reminded me of Dameyune Craig. Good pocket presence. Rocket arm, but not built for scrambling.

Of course Cam, at 6'6" 250lbs, was MUCH bigger than Gibson. But when I (and I have read others' comments who) saw his film, the first comparison, the way he runs and dodges defenders in the open field, was instantly like Cam.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/642539/highlights/120093376

Gibson isn't built to bulldoze defenders like Cam did. He's a dodger and runs like a deer...more like Randall Cunningham. But he does possess a good stiff arm.

And is a very good passer.

Closest I've seen to Cam in high school.

He is much closer to Colin Kaepernick than he is to Cam Newton. He does not have Cam's build or power at all; I fail to see your comparison there. Cam isn't the only tall QB who can run, and Gibson's running style is much more comparable to someone like Kaepernick.

He is much closer to Colin Kaepernick than he is to Cam Newton. He does not have Cam's build or power at all; I fail to see your comparison there. Cam isn't the only tall QB who can run, and Gibson's running style is much more comparable to someone like Kaepernick.

Never said he has Cam's build or power. In fact, I just stated above your post he doesn't.

I agree he runs like Kaepernick.

And he has Cam's moves in the open field.

Regardless...and the point is...like Cam was, he will be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

Never said he has Cam's build or power. In fact, I just stated above your post he doesn't.

Then why make the comparison? That is what made Cam what he was. The "moves in the open field" were only showcased once in a while, whereas the bulk of his "greatness" came from being able to convert those short runs over and over and over again.

Gibson is considerably more similar to Kaepernick at UNLV.

Then why make the comparison? That is what made Cam what he was. The "moves in the open field" were only showcased once in a while, whereas the bulk of his "greatness" came from being able to convert those short runs over and over and over again.

you mean...*Nevada

I think the answer to that will depend oh how JJ does and if he stays for 2 years, and that would then mean that Jason Smith wouldn't be in the mix, and it would be either himself, Tyler or White for multiple years. He would be a playmaker and could definitely play a role that I see Jason Smith playing at AU, but he does have the talent to play QB and might win the race down the road.

you mean...*Nevada

I think you need to add an insult or he might not hear it.

:dunno:

The thing I like about Gibson's frame as opposed to past dual-threat QB's of similar size coming out of highschool is that it seems more well-suited for making the transition to another skill position like WR almost seamlessly at the next level if needed. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Gus has some wildcat packages in mind for him in his offense; seems like he's just built to be that do-it-all playmaker.

you mean...*Nevada

I think you need to add an insult or he might not hear it.

:dunno:/>

Lol

In your opinion, what would it mean if Gibson did sign with Auburn. Consider who we have QB over the next 3 to 5 years.

in my opinion, we would have major options at QB. Some feelings might get hurt or Gus may try the JJ way in keeping expectations low and unloading on some poor school.

in the end, That Gibson guy is a weapon And still Sean White has major promise, long term

If he is unsure with the QB situation at tOSU, it's not that much better at AU. I mean if JJ and Sean play out their careers in college, he's looking at only 1 year to play as a RSSr. I think if we don't miss out on some guys like Beckner, CeCe, Ivey, Godwin, etc. then we should just wait for the next class instead of signing him now. He is very talented and hard to pass up on though.

If he is unsure with the QB situation at tOSU, it's not that much better at AU. I mean if JJ and Sean play out their careers in college, he's looking at only 1 year to play as a RSSr. I think if we don't miss out on some guys like Beckner, CeCe, Ivey, Godwin, etc. then we should just wait for the next class instead of signing him now. He is very talented and hard to pass up on though.

I'm happy with where our QB situation is currently, but OSU is certainly more of a log jam in terms of playing time. They've got 3 guys who have all started major games for them coming back, and two of them were underclass men this past year.

Assuming JJ wins the job for us (as most do), TG would have the potential to compete with Sean White for the starting job once JJ leaves. Sean certainly has done everything right so far, but there's no promise that he succeeds JJ as the starter.

TG would compete with Tyler Queen AND Sean White. He might be better than them. He might also not. I don't want to turn a kid away because we have QBs already (Russell Wilson), but I'm more concerned with the red flags. Sometimes guys with a lot of noise surrounding them like that can tear a team apart from the inside.

Other than the ULM, bammer and Oregon games, Cam showcased his open field moves in every other game, which is 11 of them.

Gibson is proficient in finding an open receiver while scrambling towards, then releasing next to the sideline, just like Cam did.

Their zone reads are similar.

Even Gibson's stiff arm is similar to Cam's.

No question Gibson's strides are more simliar to Kaepernick, but to insinuate there's zero comparison to Cam in any facet is being ignorant.

if JJ and Sean play out their careers in college, he's looking at only 1 year to play as a RSSr.

Why is it a certainty Johnson and/or White will pan out as expected?

Why is it a certainty neither will get injured?

If Gibson wants to play for you, you take him.

Pretty sure the coaches tell every dual threat QB that the kid reminds them of Cam. Its a recruiting tactic since HS kids love Cam Newton.

if JJ and Sean play out their careers in college, he's looking at only 1 year to play as a RSSr.

Hopefully they'll believe you. They tend to call anybody who takes this stance crazy, though. Oh, and somebody's going to say that you've already penciled in Gibson to start next season.

(I agree with you, btw.)

Hopefully they'll believe you. They tend to call anybody who takes this stance crazy, though. Oh, and somebody's going to say that you've already penciled in Gibson to start next season.

(I agree with you, btw.)

I hope Johnson and White pan out as expected, but bammer would be the reigning champs if Cardale Jones had not signed with OSU.

Sure, dual QB injuries are ultra rare, but phenom QBs beating out heir apparents are much more common.

Gibson is 4th on my want list behind Cowart, Ivey and Beckner. Likely won't get him, but I'll do back flips if we do.

OSU just won the natty because they had a cupboard full of talent at the QB position through their 3rd string. I would rather have 3 elite QBs than 2 elite QBs and a good one. Obviously results on the field would have to prove their worth, but just classifying them that way as an example. The more, the merrier I say. Let them fight it out. If one decides to transfer later than we are probably in good shape with the ones that beat him out.

OSU just won the natty because they had a cupboard full of talent at the QB position through their 3rd string. I would rather have 3 elite QBs than 2 elite QBs and a good one. Obviously results on the field would have to prove their worth, but just classifying them that way as an example. The more, the merrier I say. Let them fight it out. If one decides to transfer later than we are probably in good shape with the ones that beat him out.

Yup. It's insane to suggest that we don't have room. QB is the most important position on the field. 3 deep with high, high quality guys should be the bare minimum. Going into 2015, we'll only have 1 that's ever taken a college snap.

Archived