Player Workouts

RunInRed

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Video. Awesome.

Just saw where Coach Russell tweeted this video out. So. Sick. We are about to go beast on the SEC.

Impressive. It looks like fun to do a standing jump that high. Wish I could get off the ground more than 6".

Alexa....probably before a lot of things...I mean, Reese has been putting away a lot of processed foods lately. But in those days a guy 5-8 weighed about 165 and now he weighs 200+ in many cases.

I was already out of AU by 1972 but anyone weighing over 200 pounds in the 1960s was pretty big and only a handful of guys were over 6-2 or so and more guys were 6-0 and shorter, than taller than 6-0....and I could be wrong but generally strength training was push-ups, squats, sit-ups and such.

Not true (LOL) when I started at Auburn in 1969 I would like to know how many of my fellow Freshman at Auburn told me they were 6' to 6' 1" tall while looking me squarely in the eye or sometimes their eye was slightly below mine. I am and was a whopping 5' 10" inches by the way most of them also had guys they went to school with who ran 4.3 forty's.

You are right the people were no place near as big now and there were very few fat people.

Coach Russell might have been Malzahn's best hire, a greatly needed change that has shown insane improvement. Can't wait to see what he does with guys with 4 years under him and modern techniques in strength and conditioning.

Coach Russell might have been Malzahn's best hire, a greatly needed change that has shown insane improvement. Can't wait to see what he does with guys with 4 years under him and modern techniques in strength and conditioning.

As has been said many times, Russell is a protege of our former S&C coach, Kevin Yoxall. Yox was and is one of the best in the business. Make no mistake about it, the greatly needed change was at head coach. It's quite possible that Russell is improving somewhat upon the techniques that Yox would be using had he been retained, but Auburn was as well-conditioned a team as there was in college football until Chizik (and Taylor) allowed the foundations to erode. Even in 2010, a big reason we went undefeated was because we were stronger in the 4th quarter than any of our opponents.

Russell deserves any praise that comes his way, but I reject the notion that his success should be contrasted against the last phase of Kevin Yoxall's tenure at Auburn. /soapbox

As has been said many times, Russell is a protege of our former S&C coach, Kevin Yoxall. Yox was and is one of the best in the business. Make no mistake about it, the greatly needed change was at head coach. It's quite possible that Russell is improving somewhat upon the techniques that Yox would be using had he been retained, but Auburn was as well-conditioned a team as there was in college football until Chizik (and Taylor) allowed the foundations to erode. Even in 2010, a big reason we went undefeated was because we were stronger in the 4th quarter than any of our opponents.

Russell deserves any praise that comes his way, but I reject the notion that his success should be contrasted against the last phase of Kevin Yoxall's tenure at Auburn. /soapbox

I don't know for sure, but if someone is that good at their job (in or out of football) they are usually in high demand. When Gus let him go, he went to work for a High School? Now he is at Rice? Not trying to be argumentative in any way, but no SEC, ACC, Big 10, PAC 10 or Big 12 school? I could be wrong but that just doesn't sound good to me.

On another note, where is Trooper? At Arkey State. After two stints in SEC schools (Tenn, and Auburn with a National Championship) he lands in the Sun Belt and hasn't been able to move up. That just really tells us something about him, IMO.

Thank you! Well said.

I don't know for sure, but if someone is that good at their job (in or out of football) they are usually in high demand. When Gus let him go, he went to work for a High School? Now he is at Rice? Not trying to be argumentative in any way, but no SEC, ACC, Big 10, PAC 10 or Big 12 school? I could be wrong but that just doesn't sound good to me.

On another note, where is Trooper? At Arkey State. After two stints in SEC schools (Tenn, and Auburn with a National Championship) he lands in the Sun Belt and hasn't been able to move up. That just really tells us something about him, IMO.

Very fair question about Yox. It confuses me, also. Some possible reasons:

-"Old" S&C coaches just aren't as desirable

-He turned down a higher profile offer or two for personal reasons

-The 2012 experience just broke him

-Current and emerging techniques and skills really have passed him by

Again, very fair question. As for Taylor... LOL.

EDIT: I guess I could have just done some quick googling before responding about Yox. The article below suggests to me that he wanted to go back the Houston area and work there. Sure, there are probably 6 better jobs in Texas (Dallas, Houston, TAMU, UT, Baylor and TCU), but Rice is very close to the Houston high school he coached at. Also, it's not like he languished away for long at the high school- he was only there for one season- and Rice is still a D1 school and CUSA champs: http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/02/former_auburn_strength_coach_k.html

Russell worked on Yox's staff, but he is hardly his protege... Ryan Should be given all the credit he deserves. This is HIS program, based on HIS philosophy...

Russell worked on Yox's staff, but he is hardly his protege... Ryan Should be given all the credit he deserves. This is HIS program, based on HIS philosophy...

Again:

Russell deserves any praise that comes his way

My point is that there is no need to disparage Yox in praising Russell.

Yeah, but we also don't need to praise Yox in Ryan's success...

True, but I couldn't really refute the slight that I was originally responding to without providing some sort of justification, now could I?

Back on topic, Sammie Coates, Corey Grant, fast, strong, whatever...

I refuse to give yox a pass and nobody else. Physical improvement came immediately when Russell came so IMO he should get the credit

We can sit here and argue all day but cRRs guys are much bigger than Yox's ever were. That's not to take away from Yox, but Russell's system is nasty!

We can sit here and argue all day but cRRs guys are much bigger than Yox's ever were. That's not to take away from Yox, but Russell's system is nasty!

No slight to Yox because he had a solid S&C program during his tenure, but one can't helped but be encouraged by Russell going forward.

After the fall from grace in 2011 & 2012, how many honestly foresaw two NFL first round draft picks this time last summer?

Very fair question about Yox. It confuses me, also. Some possible reasons:

-"Old" S&C coaches just aren't as desirable

-He turned down a higher profile offer or two for personal reasons

-The 2012 experience just broke him

-Current and emerging techniques and skills really have passed him by

Again, very fair question. As for Taylor... LOL.

EDIT: I guess I could have just done some quick googling before responding about Yox. The article below suggests to me that he wanted to go back the Houston area and work there. Sure, there are probably 6 better jobs in Texas (Dallas, Houston, TAMU, UT, Baylor and TCU), but Rice is very close to the Houston high school he coached at. Also, it's not like he languished away for long at the high school- he was only there for one season- and Rice is still a D1 school and CUSA champs: http://www.al.com/au...th_coach_k.html

Thanks for the info!

I am totally on board with Coach Russell. Like many others I have seen a huge change in strength, and physical appearance on our team since Coach Russell has been year. We are lucky to have him. If I am not mistaken, he received a really good raise after last year too.

I watched the video. Very impressive. I am pretty sure I saw Gabe Wright severaltimes. I could not get over what he looks like. I am not sure it is because of Carl Lawson's injury or not, but Gabe looks more like a DE now than a DT. In the video, Gabe is really quick. Amazing.

Comparisons are complete apples and oranges. Yox's style fit the head coach. Gus does things like no other, and has brought in a mind that trains the team how they need to be trained to be successful in this system.

I love Coach Russell. He's wonderful, but can we dial back the exaggerations? His guys are bigger than Yox's guys ever were? Really? Did we watch Dontarrious Thomas and Karlos Dansby? Wasn't it Yox that helped those guys go from high school bean poles to 240 pound fire breathing dragons? We have running backs bigger and in better shape than Cadillac and Ronnie? We have offensive linemen bigger, stronger and quicker than Marcus McNeil and Ben Grubbs?

I love Coach Russell, and I think he's doing a great job. Great. Just don't erase the past in an effort to highlight the present.

I love Coach Russell. He's wonderful, but can we dial back the exaggerations? His guys are bigger than Yox's guys ever were? Really? Did we watch Dontarrious Thomas and Karlos Dansby? Wasn't it Yox that helped those guys go from high school bean poles to 240 pound fire breathing dragons? We have running backs bigger and in better shape than Cadillac and Ronnie? We have offensive linemen bigger, stronger and quicker than Marcus McNeil and Ben Grubbs?

I love Coach Russell, and I think he's doing a great job. Great. Just don't erase the past in an effort to highlight the present.

It's really not that difficult a concept, is it?

The problem is that folks are comparing 2013 to 2011-12 while completely ignoring the first 12 years of great success that Yox had at Auburn. I guess they think he just forgot what a weight room looks like after the BCSCG, just like Ted Roof forgot how to coach defense, Gus forgot how to score points (22.6 pts per game over the last 8 games of the 2011 season) and the same OL that led us to the national rushing title couldn't block their way out of a paper bag.

Comparisons are complete apples and oranges. Yox's style fit the head coach. Gus does things like no other, and has brought in a mind that trains the team how they need to be trained to be successful in this system.

That, too.

Yox lost a lot of fan support, when before the 11' season opener vs Utah State, Fox 6 in Birmingham, did a sit down interview with him. Basically, the point was to kiss his butt, because Yox was the longest tenured coach on the AU staff.

It went on, and he was asked why AU's Pro Day numbers weren't so great? He returned with, "We do things different here at Auburn"... and this is where he made the infamous "We don't bench press, because you don't play football on your back"... comment. That rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

The interview that aired on Fox 6 was edited and chopped up to make Yox look kind of defensive in his statements.

This was the season (11') where Utah State almost beat us opening week... they were bigger, stronger, and faster. This brought some negative attention toward Yox because of his previous comments in the interview (that aired two days before the game)... So deserving or not, he kind of brought that on himself.

But obviously, the next two seasons spiraled out of control. We were running out 175 pounders to try to compete against SEC competition. Several coaches were taking the heat, and Yox was right there in the middle of it.

I'm not saying he was a bad S&C coach, but he put himself out there for criticism... Much like Scott Cochran over in tuscalooser... is starting to take some heat for his "methods".

Archived