Player Workouts

RunInRed

Anything over 40 inches is ridiculous. I mean, for a normal person, anything over 30 inches is kind of crazy, but even in a room full of superior athletes 40+ is eye-catching.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've heard, Corey Grant is pound-for-pound the strongest guy on the team. Coates definitely ain't a scrub though.

The vertical was much more impressive than the bench max but the 2 combined is insane

Yeah if he has a great season and does that at the combine he'll be going in the first round.

Have a new contender for #1 spot on the upcoming Freaks list: #Auburn WR Sammie Coates. Vertical jumped 44 inches. Benched 405 lbs.

@BruceFeldmanCFB

:blink:/>

Anyone here actually know how crazy these numbers are? I vertical jump test athletes(including myself) multiple times a week and am also a certified gym rat... To be that strong while also being able to get that high off the ground is absolutely mind boggling. Someone with a 30 inch vertical looks almost like they're floating-but 44?! Count me as extremely impressed.

Actually, I didn't know. Professional qualification is always illuminating- thanks!

Have a new contender for #1 spot on the upcoming Freaks list: #Auburn WR Sammie Coates. Vertical jumped 44 inches. Benched 405 lbs.

@BruceFeldmanCFB

Anyone here actually know how crazy these numbers are? I vertical jump test athletes(including myself) multiple times a week and am also a certified gym rat... To be that strong while also being able to get that high off the ground is absolutely mind boggling. Someone with a 30 inch vertical looks almost like they're floating-but 44?! Count me as extremely impressed.

As a point of reference, the top performance by a WR at the 2014 NFL Combine was:

Vertical- 41", Tevin Reese, Baylor (Sammie- 44")

40 yds- 4.33, Brandin Cooks, Oregon St (Sammie- 4.2 or 4.3 ?)

Bench- 23 reps, Cody Latimer, Indiana (Sammie 27)

From what I've heard, Corey Grant is pound-for-pound the strongest guy on the team. Coates definitely ain't a scrub though.

The vertical was much more impressive than the bench max but the 2 combined is insane

Combine those two with his ridiculous 40 time and you reach a new level of insanity. It's called InSammity!!!

@BruceFeldmanCFB

As a point of reference, the top performance by a WR at the 2014 NFL Combine was:

Numbers at the combine are always worse then what you see people can do on boards like this. Samie isn't a great athlete (because he isn't great he is ELITE) but I will bet money now that the numbers people are throwing around now won't be the same as what Sammie will do at a combine. He is capable of having the best numbers at the combine when he does it but he will not do 4.3 or less in 40, 44 inch in high jump, and 27 in bench.

At the combines 6'6" inch linemen turn out to be 6'4", speed guys who actually run 4.4 are close to the top performers. At the combine there is no home cooking fudging the numbers.

Numbers that players throw around remind me of the things fellow Freshman told me when I arrived at Auburn in 1969. It was amaxing to me how many intramural football players told me about running 4.4 and 4.5 40's and who played on State Championship football teams. I came to Auburn from out of state but one time I figured out that apparently in 1968 there must have been at least 30-40 State championship football teams in Alabama that year. LOL

@BruceFeldmanCFB

Numbers at the combine are always worse then what you see people can do on boards like this. Samie isn't a great athlete (because he isn't great he is ELITE) but I will bet money now that the numbers people are throwing around now won't be the same as what Sammie will do at a combine. He is capable of having the best numbers at the combine when he does it but he will not do 4.3 or less in 40, 44 inch in high jump, and 27 in bench.

At the combines 6'6" inch linemen turn out to be 6'4", speed guys who actually run 4.4 are close to the top performers. At the combine there is no home cooking fudging the numbers.

Numbers that players throw around remind me of the things fellow Freshman told me when I arrived at Auburn in 1969. It was amaxing to me how many intramural football players told me about running 4.4 and 4.5 40's and who played on State Championship football teams. I came to Auburn from out of state but one time I figured out that apparently in 1968 there must have been at least 30-40 State championship football teams in Alabama that year. LOL

I doubt he can run a 4.3 but the vertical and bench should be pretty cut and dry. No gray area, you either did 27 or you didn't. If he can do 27 now, he can probably do it at the combine.

he surprised the crap out of lernquist

Doesn't every big Auburn play do that to him? :)

he surprised the crap out of lernquist

Doesn't every big Auburn play do that to him? :)

i think most subtle movements surprise the crap out of him

S&C working well at AU. Only thing we didn't improve was his height. Guess the stretching machine not working.

Sammie coats HS specs per rivals:

• Ht:6'3"
  • Wt:170 lbs
  • 40:4.4 secs
  • Bench Max:300
  • Shuttle:4.3
  • Vertical:38 inches
  • Class:2011 (High School)

Wow Ricardo got big too. Now if only he would catch the ball... what a great WR corps

He made one pretty good catch I remember. I think we'll see a much improved receiving corps this season, and one that will get a lot more balls thrown to them. Can't wait for football season!!!

Jonathan Jones looking the part ...

10412876_245978118930308_834024728_n.jpg

Holy cow. Jones was nowhere near this big when I saw him as a Senior in HS. He looks solid as a rock. He was always very fast. If he kept his speed, the kid is looking like he could deliver some pain.

Smith looks bigger than coleman

My gosh...the guy is only a Freshman....looks like an additional road grader for Johnson to work with.

Archived