AU vs. ETSU

This team can not get runners from scoring position to home for NOTHING right now.. I hope they figure it out. Looks like Sunny Golloway has a rebuilding year on his hands. Let's just hope they figure out some offense by SEC play. The defense and pitching has been good enough to win.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, guess Sonny isn't the answer (although its early)....read some of OU's blgs... he.wasn't getting exactly great grades by their fan base....spent a lot of money on a coach......JP was a lot cheaper and it seems like the team is maybe performing at a lower level .Baserunning and fundamentals seem to be lacking . Just saying....Im stil a huge JP fan and think he got raw deal with the NCAA's last year an Jacobs reacted way to quick

Wow, guess Sonny isn't the answer (although its early)....read some of OU's blgs... he.wasn't getting exactly great grades by their fan base....spent a lot of money on a coach......JP was a lot cheaper and it seems like the team is maybe performing at a lower level .Baserunning and fundamentals seem to be lacking . Just saying....Im stil a huge JP fan and think he got raw deal with the NCAA's last year an Jacobs reacted way to quick

I don't agree with you there. JP's time was done. No progress was being made. We have had good pitching and defense under Sunny Golloway. The offense needs to get worked out and is what is killing us at the moment. You go look at what Ray Tanner's record was his first year at SC or Tim Corbin's first year at Vandy they were not that great and did not make NCAA's. Sunny is 682-340-1 as a head coach in 17 years and rarely has missed the NCAA Tournament. You can't be judging him after the first 7 games. Probably not after year one for that matter. He needs to get more of his own players in here.

I wouldn't jump on the "sky is falling" bandwagon yet, and say he's not the answer, it's been 7 games. I will say that he has dug himself a bit of a hole for such high expectations that he set for the team this season

I have no problem with making Omaha the goal. Problem is in year 1 you don't always know what you are going to get.

I've got no problems with high goals and high expectations either, as long as you follow through on it

I wouldn't jump on the "sky is falling" bandwagon yet, and say he's not the answer, it's been 7 games. I will say that he has dug himself a bit of a hole for such high expectations that he set for the team this season

Yea, I was always around here as a JP supporter, but made it clear that my loyalty is to AU, not to a coach. I loved the Golloway hire. Judging him after 7 games is beyond ludicrous. I did kind of let myself get lost in the Omaha hype (not that I thought we'd make it there, but was thinking he could get us over the hump from that one game shy of a regional team last year to get us dancing at least, especially with how he was marketing the season), so the "rebuilding year" term is not hitting me particularly great at the moment. I still have full confidence he'll get things turned around, although it appears my expectations for postseason play need to get pushed out of mind immediately and just enjoy watching the freshman grow up

I'm sure many teams goal is Omaha EVERY year. Doesn't mean you are going to get there every year either.

Agree there. It should be the goal for every team. However, there are differences in contending years and rebuilding years. This is looking more and more like the latter when it was hyped up for the former.

But I'll end it with that one. Unfortunately, one thing I've seen on this board over the years is it gets very testy (moreso than the football board on occasion) with coach allegiances instead of Auburn baseball allegiances. Here's to finishing 54-4 everyone!

In general terms we were below average to bad in pitching, fielding, running and hitting last year.

There is no denying that through 7 ooc games our pitching has been no worse than above average against our competition.

Our defense is better according some of you watching the games.

Base running appears to be about the same, maybe slightly better - which ain't saying much. Mostly due to poor situational awareness it sounds like.

Hitting actually sounds like it has taken an early year step backwards. Hopefully that is correctable as they try to follow the coaches philosophy (I'd prefer to swing for the fences, but I don't know squat about baseball).

So all in all it sounds better except for the W/L's. CSG has a proven record as a winner as well as a proven record as a hard ass. We need mentally tough kids.

Btw, we are doing all of this with a pile of freshmen.

Hey John, welcome back to the board! Guess you think it was a raw deal in '12 and '11 as well? I hear Jacobs flipped a coin and Barbee won.

This team is five years worth of soft due to a milquetoast coach who had no idea what it took to fight. We may have swung too far to the other end of the spectrum but I'll withhold judgement for a year or two.

Really disappointing the season has started this way. Any SEC team should wipe the floor with some of these early non-conference teams so that is worrisome--but I still think the future of AU baseball is in better hands now.

For those of you that weren't frequenting the baseball board last year, this "nightranger" person is Pawloski's brother, lover or agent, we never were quite sure which it was. So, take his/her posts with that in mind.

Someone had a great analysis above. Almost everything is improved except the baserunning, which is about the same and needs work, and the hitting, which is worse. I'm of the opinion that we need to give Coach Sunny some time to get his own players in here, Coach Paw left the cupboard downright bare. The last group of good hitters recruited to Auburn was signed by Tom Slater before Pawloski got here.

For those of you that weren't frequenting the baseball board last year, this "nightranger" person is Pawloski's brother, lover or agent, we never were quite sure which it was. So, take his/her posts with that in mind.

Someone had a great analysis above. Almost everything is improved except the baserunning, which is about the same and needs work, and the hitting, which is worse. I'm of the opinion that we need to give Coach Sunny some time to get his own players in here, Coach Paw left the cupboard downright bare. The last group of good hitters recruited to Auburn was signed by Tom Slater before Pawloski got here.

hahaha I do remember that thread with the love affair. Auburn baseball will be fine, Sonny has a project on his hands.

hahaha I do remember that thread with the love affair. Auburn baseball will be fine, Sonny has a project on his hands.

Sounds like he will be doing it without 3 players. Haven't seen names but wouldn't be shocked if Tella was one of them. J Hokanson tweeted out 3 guys were leaving the program.

Not a surprise. Sounded like after the Cal game Sunny was ready to let some guys with "attitudes" go. He said some guys were smiling down 4-0 and he didn't like it. He doesn't put up with junk like that and I like it.

Archived