Russian Forces Moving In

autigeremt

This was Putin, in essence, walking up to Obama and shoving him, then saying, "What are you going to do about it?" This isn't good for the world, and it puts Obama in a tough position. Do we do nothing and look weak, or do we send our military and possibly escalate this to war with a country with a leader with his finger on the trigger of nuclear missiles?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was Putin, in essence, walking up to Obama and shoving him, then saying, "What are you going to do about it?" This isn't good for the world, and it puts Obama in a tough position. Do we do nothing and look weak, or do we send our military and possibly escalate this to war with a country with a leader with his finger on the trigger of nuclear missiles?

I agree. Let's hope that OUR President makes his next move, not based on ego or political pressure, but rather in a very logical and calculated way. I may be wrong but, IMO this is far more serious than Iraq, Iran, North Korea or even Afghanistan (now that Bin Laden is dead).

Putin received a unanimous vote from his parliment. Is that superficial or, does that mean something?

Column A, Column B.

?

Sorry, I had just cut my finger open and couldn't really type. The Russian parliament is widely known to be a rubber stamp for Putin. It's superficial because it doesn't have any real power, but its also a giant middle finger to the rest of the world. Plus, now he can say he has his people's backing.

icanthearyou......I agree I just hope Obama makes some of move How long does he need?Looks like England has made a move....requesting an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council.I doubt they do anything but at least Egland has taken that step.

And, do you think the Russian Parliament is anything but Putin's puppets?

icanthearyou......I agree I just hope Obama makes some of move How long does he need?Looks like England has made a move....requesting an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council.I doubt they do anything but at least Egland has taken that step.

And, do you think the Russian Parliament is anything but Putin's puppets?

I have never cared for the hurry up, do something, do anything strategy. However, I do not care for threats, ultimatums, or warnings either.

What else can the UK do? They do not have the power to take any other action. On the other hand, we do.

I did not know. That is why I asked.

Weegle77......I'm great. Spending a few days in Auburn just relaxing. Ready for our Tigers to beat the Updykes in a little while. Why do you ask?

There was an interesting segment on the PBS News Hour last night. Putin was described as a narcissistic egomaniac who is obsessed with leaving his mark on history. One would have hoped that we had passed the era of dealing with sociopathic leaders of superpower countries. Guess not.

No offense, but that is rather niave considering we have our own egomaniac leaders.

All political leaders have huge egos. For that matter there is undoubtedly a higher proportion of sociopaths in politics, including the U.S..

And there are a few narcissistic sociopathic tyrants who head up small countries (N. Korea for example).

But I was hoping that the era of having such a tyrant leading a large global power was over. Hell, even China is run by a committee that can presumably displace their premier if he goes wacko.

icanthearyou.......you never like the hurry up strategy? I'm gonna tell Gus ;)

I knew when I typed it, there should be a disclaimer.

I knew you were the tattle tale type.

Weegle77......I'm great. Spending a few days in Auburn just relaxing. Ready for our Tigers to beat the Updykes in a little while. Why do you ask?

Your typing was a little off. Just checking. ;D

So, in summary, do we have anything to fear from Russia, or are we worried about them becoming a power again? I thought they were broke. I have not kept up with it, but this story interest me.

So, in summary, do we have anything to fear from Russia, or are we worried about them becoming a power again? I thought they were broke. I have not kept up with it, but this story interest me.

The Russians are not broke. They just started selling their natural resources to Western Europe, etc. mainly oil and natural gas as they are energy independent. They make money off the sale and can threaten countries with shutting off the flow. Western Europeans like warm houses and driving cars too.

The only thing the west could do is jointly boycott Russia. That will not happen.

Eastern Ukraine better get use to only speaking Russian and buy some new flags.

The Russians are not broke. They just started selling their natural resources to Western Europe, etc. mainly oil and natural gas as they are energy independent. They make money off the sale and can threaten countries with shutting off the flow. Western Europeans like warm houses and driving cars too.

The only thing the west could do is jointly boycott Russia. That will not happen.

Eastern Ukraine better get use to only speaking Russian and buy some new flags.

That's a very succinct analysis. Here's a longer version with the same conclusion:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/world/europe/russia-to-pay-not-so-simple.html?hp&_r=0

You ok Proud?

You never ask how I am Weegs. :no:/> :'(/>

Sorry ICHY. How are you making it? ;D/>

Awesome brother. Thanks for asking. How are you?

Couldn't be better!

There was an interesting segment on the PBS News Hour last night. Putin was described as a narcissistic egomaniac who is obsessed with leaving his mark on history. One would have hoped that we had passed the era of dealing with sociopathic leaders of superpower countries. Guess not.

No offense, but that is rather niave considering we have our own egomaniac leaders.

All political leaders have huge egos. For that matter there is undoubtedly a higher proportion of sociopaths in politics, including the U.S..

And there are a few narcissistic sociopathic tyrants who head up small countries (N. Korea for example).

But I was hoping that the era of having such a tyrant leading a large global power was over. Hell, even China is run by a committee that can presumably displace their premier if he goes wacko.

Hope ain't much of a strategy Homey. Why would you think that? What could possibly lead you to believe that was remotely possible. When is the history of the world has their not been a sociopathic tyrant stirring up trouble. Foreign policy based on this type of irrational "hope" inevitably leads to folly. Bully's will always be bully's. They respond to one thing only...strength.

Hope ain't much of a strategy Homey. Why would you think that? What could possibly lead you to believe that was remotely possible. When is the history of the world has their not been a sociopathic tyrant stirring up trouble. Foreign policy based on this type of irrational "hope" inevitably leads to folly. Bully's will always be bully's. They respond to one thing only...strength.

First, I wasn't aware that I was proposing a strategy. I was making a comment about the situation, not proposing a plan.

And what do you mean by asking what lead me to believe (something) is remotely possible? That doesn't even make sense. I didn't state any "beliefs". Perhaps you should clarify your assumptions before running with them.

So are you suggesting we should oppose Russia directly with military action?

Saw this photo. Unfortunately, it is probably how the world sees us now.

IMG_88015304940338.jpeg

It's still a little early for the Obama bashing to start isn't it? I assume you are not suggesting Obama should act based on what the world thinks of him.

What do you propose?

Saw this photo. Unfortunately, it is probably how the world sees us now.

IMG_88015304940338.jpeg

It's still a little early for the Obama bashing to start isn't it? I assume you are not suggesting Obama should act based on what the world thinks of him.

What do you propose?

I'm not bashing him. I have no idea what pressure he is under. I've already stated my belief about this earlier in this thread.

Archived