2017 JUCO ATH D'Anfernee McGriff

RunInRed

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is hard to understand how a high school kid can't make the minimum grades necessary ... Short of learning disabilities or serious home issues, I just don't understand. Not just in this instance but every time a kid doesn't make his grades and can't except a scholarship offer from his preferred school.

It is hard to understand how a high school kid can't make the minimum grades necessary ... Short of learning disabilities or serious home issues, I just don't understand. Not just in this instance but every time a kid doesn't make his grades and can't except a scholarship offer from his preferred school.

It's pretty easy to understand. They do not get the proper schooling at the early ages and it hurts their development when they get to high school. And many do not have the parental guidance they desperately need. My wife was a school teacher and would come home many days frustrated as hell at her students. Many had no basic understanding of math, science, english, etc. It's as if the elementary school just passed them to get rid of them. And despite tutors & outside help it was just too late for some of them.

All schools aren't created equal

I meant for my admonishment to include "the system" ... Not just the kid. I'd would like to think that even at the worst schools ... When a kid had this level of talent, someone would help shape his scholastic views ... If they did, then it's on him.

Some kids get so wrapped up in the athletics side that they just get it stuck in their head that that is all that matters. They don't do the diligence in making sure that they are lined up to actually get into the schools that they are interested in.

But it is also a matter of having the people around you helping guide you in making the best choices for you. People who can help show you the things that need to be adjusted/brought up. Where was his guidance counselor when it came to grades/admissions? Where were his parents/coaches pushing him on his grades?

It's a sad situation to see...wish nothing but the best for this young man and his future.

Not hard to understand at all. Not saying this applies to DM. Aside from disabilities you mentioned some don't see the point of school and don't care. And if they are lazy it's a crapshoot whether they even graduate. I'm not proud of it but that was me. I never did homework or studied until my senior year until I had to to make a 2.0 and graduate.

"Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain't come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS."

Ohio State QB Cardale Jones

"Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain't come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS."

True statement....why do we make them go to class? Let's be honest, without their extraordinary football talents, most would not be at the university, and almost all would not be recruited academically to the school. Perhaps we should first accept students based on academics, THEN if they happen to be good at football they can try out for the team. All those that don't want to attend classes can go play minor league football somewhere.

True statement....why do we make them go to class? Let's be honest, without their extraordinary football talents, most would not be at the university, and almost all would not be recruited academically to the school. Perhaps we should first accept students based on academics, THEN if they happen to be good at football they can try out for the team. All those that don't want to attend classes can go play minor league football somewhere.

The average NFL career is somewhere between 3.3 and 6 years (depending on whether you ask the NFLPA or the NFL). And that's for the very, very few guys who actually make it there. These guys need an education, however farcical that might seem to the normal student.

The average NFL career is somewhere between 3.3 and 6 years (depending on whether you ask the NFLPA or the NFL). And that's for the very, very few guys who actually make it there. These guys need an education, however farcical that might seem to the normal student.

This is just preaching to the choir. We all understand the need for these young people to get an education, just try and tell them that. They don't see the need to apply themselves to something they think they won't need. We understand this because many of us have been out in the real world and realize that we are ultimately what we make ourselves. Most young people(especially those with poor parents) can't look past supper that evening, let alone into the future that they can't comprehend. :dunno: :dunno:

To be fair, Cardale Jones is the choir and the pastor on this one.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25134154/cardale-jones-still-cant-believe-he-sent-play-school-tweet

The "aint come to play SCHOOL" tweet was during his true freshman season (two years ago).The kid figured a lot of stuff out and chose to stay with OSU when he could've turned pro on a hot streak (as a RS Soph) and/or could've transferred to a smaller school to ride out the whip before hitting his pay day. Instead, he stayed with the school that gave his first shot and no guarantee.

This is no different than real life. You either put in the work to be successful or you fall by the wayside. The kids that put in the work, both athletically and academically, are able to go direct to D1. The ones who don't, get 1 more chance at a JUCO or they get a job.

I thought the official line on all of this was that it was all McDoofus's fault? Or has that changed since the spring?

:thumbsup:

And, generally: when in doubt, blame the Doof. You'll always have at least a... wait for it... 50/50 chance of being right.

It doesn't sound like McGriff is (all in) when it comes to his school work.

But how does he feel about (orange) facemasks?

:dunno:

Not hard to understand at all. Not saying this applies to DM. Aside from disabilities you mentioned some don't see the point of school and don't care. And if they are lazy it's a crapshoot whether they even graduate. I'm not proud of it but that was me. I never did homework or studied until my senior year until I had to to make a 2.0 and graduate.

i was exactly the same in H.S. looking back it is sickening. I didn't have a D1 football scholarship to lose but not sure that would have penetrated my skull either. I could have made 100% A's with just a little effort. I didn't see the point.

To be fair, Cardale Jones is the choir and the pastor on this one.

http://www.cbssports...ay-school-tweet

The "aint come to play SCHOOL" tweet was during his true freshman season (two years ago).The kid figured a lot of stuff out and chose to stay with OSU when he could've turned pro on a hot streak (as a RS Soph) and/or could've transferred to a smaller school to ride out the whip before hitting his pay day. Instead, he stayed with the school that gave his first shot and no guarantee.

Maybe ESPN will give him a courage award.

And then college football viewership, and thus the money generated by it, would all but disappear. There's a good reason Vandy struggles to make a bowl game every year, and it's not because there aren't enough bowl games to go around.

And then college football viewership, and thus the money generated by it, would all but disappear. There's a good reason Vandy struggles to make a bowl game every year, and it's not because there aren't enough bowl games to go around.

So what? I'd watch Auburn regardless. I'd even listen to the radio like I did when few games were televised.

So what? I'd watch Auburn regardless. I'd even listen to the radio like I did when few games were televised.

So would I. But the question was about why we make players go to class instead of simply creating a minor league football system.

So would I. But the question was about why we make players go to class instead of simply creating a minor league football system.

Who is going to create this minor league football system? Certainly not the NFL which has the absolutely best thing going in professional sports.

Let the colleges and universities "pay" the developing athletes for 3 or 4 years until they grow into men.....and along they way, train them for the sport and then sort the contenders from the pretenders and last, they get to draft players and have a federal anti-trust exemption that allows them to pretty much price fix the cost of their labor and prevents the possibility of competitive teams or leagues.

What could be better than that?

Who is going to create this minor league football system? Certainly not the NFL which has the absolutely best thing going in professional sports.

Let the colleges and universities "pay" the developing athletes for 3 or 4 years until they grow into men.....and along they way, train them for the sport and then sort the contenders from the pretenders and last, they get to draft players and have a federal anti-trust exemption that allows them to pretty much price fix the cost of their labor and prevents the possibility of competitive teams or leagues.

What could be better than that?

Seriously?

Okay, well, hypothetically speaking, if it were to be created, then it could be anyone. Neither colleges nor the NFL have rights over any players until they are signed, and if enough kids wanted to go to a semi-pro type of league designed specifically to develop them for a few years until they become men, as you put it, then it isn't too difficult to conceive of someone with an entrepreneurial spirit and connections to enough rich people willing to put money in the pot for setting up a league specifically for those players.

I'm not saying this is the right way to go about things at all, I'm just following the logical progression of how this could happen. Now, I rather doubt it will happen, because there are enough parents out there who see that the value of a free education is so much greater than that of going to a league without NFL ties in a game that has as many injuries as football, not to mention that the system already in place has been working for a long enough time that it is unlikely to change anytime soon.

However, again, I was just answering the question. I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was going to get this kind of blowback for doing so.

Archived