How the composite rankings work and why Kerryon is a 4*

ellitor

I have seen a number of questions about Kerryon moving back down to a 4* yesterday on a few AU sites and thought I would use this as a good opportunity to explain how that happened and how the composite works for high school recruits.

Composite rankings are purely mathematical and only take into account overall average rank order from the big 4 recruiting sites. Rating from sites like KJ being a 97 on 247 and an 88 on ESPN or designated stars by those sites do not matter. To break the 5* threshhold on the composite all a recruit has to do is have an average ranking of 42.5 or better. You simply add a player's overall rank on each site and divide by 4. KJ's average is now 42.75 because of the 3 players moving past him from Texas on 247 yesterday. KJ's overall rankings now are 50 (Rivals) +49 (247) +49 (Scout) +23 (ESPN) = 171, 171/4=42.75) Each time a player moves up or down 1 spot on any site's overall ranking it's worth .25 points when all 4 sites have a player ranked, .33 when ranked on 3 sites, .5 when ranked on 2 sites, and 1 when ranked on 1 site.

To verify 42.5 is the magic number I went back to the last player who had a final average of 42.5, Jordan Jenkins in 2012 Link His overall's were 28 (247) +19 (Scout) +56 (Rivals) +67 (ESPN) which = 170. 170/4 equals 42.5. Looking at the link of Jordan's profile. We see he was indeed a 5* with that 42.5 average. In the end, KJ is literally not a composite 5* by 1 spot for the moment.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion with composite rankings.

I know... Tre Mason was 3-star and heisman trophy finalist. ;D

Thanks for your clarification though. War Eagle!

I am pretty sure Tre was a 4 star.

I have seen a number of questions about Kerryon moving back down to a 4* yesterday on a few AU sites and thought I would use this as a good opportunity to explain how that happened and how the composite works for high school recruits.

Composite rankings are purely mathematical and only take into account overall average rank order from the big 4 recruiting sites. Rating from sites like KJ being a 97 on 247 and an 88 on ESPN or designated stars by those sites do not matter. To break the 5* threshhold on the composite all a recruit has to do is have an average ranking of 42.5 or better. You simply add a player's overall rank on each site and divide by 4. KJ's average is now 42.75 because of the 3 players moving past him from Texas on 247 yesterday. KJ's overall rankings now are 50 (Rivals) +49 (247) +49 (Scout) +23 (ESPN) = 171, 171/4=42.75) Each time a player moves up or down 1 spot on any site's overall ranking it's worth .25 points when all 4 sites have a player ranked, .33 when ranked on 3 sites, .5 when ranked on 2 sites, and 1 when ranked on 1 site.

To verify 42.5 is the magic number I went back to the last player who had a final average of 42.5, Jordan Jenkins in 2012 Link His overall's were 28 (247) +19 (Scout) +56 (Rivals) +67 (ESPN) which = 170. 170/4 equals 42.5. Looking at the link of Jordan's profile. We see he was indeed a 5* with that 42.5 average. In the end, KJ is literally not a composite 5* by 1 spot for the moment.

E, Thanks for this, and I am sorry if I do not understand this correctly.

You said all you have to do to be a composite 5 star is have an average rating of 42.5 or higher. I think you said Kerryon's average is 42.75. That seems to be a 5 star rating to me?

What am I missing. Thanks

Depends what recruiting site you look at.

Depends what recruiting site you look at.

4 star on Rivals, Scout, ESPN & 247Composite

You said all you have to do to be a composite 5 star is have an average rating of 42.5 or higher. I think you said Kerryon's average is 42.75. That seems to be a 5 star rating to me?

Think of football rankings. Higher= closer to 0.

Think of football rankings. Higher= closer to 0.

Aha, There is the answer. Thanks.

KJ's ranking:

247 - 4*

Rivals - 4*

Scout - 4*

ESPN - 4*

To be honest with you, I was amazed he was 5 star on 247composite before the change.

lol. I said 42.5 or better, not higher. I specifically did not use higher because I knew it would confuse people. You got confused anyway. Bravo!! :clap: And no I am not mean spiritedly picking on you in case anyone wonders. Better for individual rank order is always 1 or closest to it as possible.

KJ's ranking:

247 - 4*

Rivals - 4*

Scout - 4*

ESPN - 4*

To be honest with you, I was amazed he was 5 star on 247composite before the change.

Exactly why designated stars by each site does not matter in the composite.

Thanks for the explanation E. I was not aware the composite was based on player ranking and not player grade on each site.

EDIT: It makes sense though becuase each site has different grading systems....

I'm sure that by the end of his senior season he'll be back to a 5 star. Not that it matters, but I'm sure he will.

Archived