Swain..... What is going on with him?

I take it as a very good sign that one of the big things on the minds of AU fans is the situation about a reserve linebacker who will probably drop to third string when this year's recruits Davis and Williams join the team. There have been years when we wouldn't notice Swain because of more pressing issues. :)

Refreshing indeed!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take it as a very good sign that one of the big things on the minds of AU fans is the situation about a reserve linebacker who will probably drop to third string when this year's recruits Davis and Williams join the team. There have been years when we wouldn't notice Swain because of more pressing issues. :)

Who are you and what have you done with Mikey? We never have enough LBs!

Freshmen are great but Swain has game experience and knows how to stop Arkansas' offense.

It's is very interesting.

And ultimately won't matter.

I hope he is able ot get things worked out. He showed some good play last year and if nothing else we could use him for depth. I'm not sure how he is in pass coverage but with his size he could really help against the run first teams like Arky.

I also agree with earlier thoughts that when Ellis said "we can't touch him yet" (or something like that) that he was probably referring to defensive couaching not be able to touch him yet because the head coach has him off limits. That is of course a guess but a likely reason.

As a side note that is off topic. I think a lot of people are discounting the LBs that are curently on roster because they haven't showed alot so far in their AU careers. I just want to point out (which I'm sure has been done) That none of the current LBs have ever played for the same D-coordinator in consecutive years. And the latest D change was a pretty siginifcant one in terms of player responsibilities. That is a lot to ask of any position but it is especially tough for the LB position. I'm excited to see what these guys can do when they are playing and not thinking about what they should be doing. I'd be careful to write any one off quite yet.

I hope he is able ot get things worked out. He showed some good play last year and if nothing else we could use him for depth. I'm not sure how he is in pass coverage but with his size he could really help against the run first teams like Arky.

I also agree with earlier thoughts that when Ellis said "we can't touch him yet" (or something like that) that he was probably referring to defensive couaching not be able to touch him yet because the head coach has him off limits. That is of course a guess but a likely reason.

As a side note that is off topic. I think a lot of people are discounting the LBs that are curently on roster because they haven't showed alot so far in their AU careers. I just want to point out (which I'm sure has been done) That none of the current LBs have ever played for the same D-coordinator in consecutive years. And the latest D change was a pretty siginifcant one in terms of player responsibilities. That is a lot to ask of any position but it is especially tough for the LB position. I'm excited to see what these guys can do when they are playing and not thinking about what they should be doing. I'd be careful to write any one off quite yet.

I want to say he made a big play during the Ole Miss game where i think he knocked the ball away at the last second on a pass to the WR or RB on a wheel route...that may have been Delaine

:thumbsup:

Swain showed enough to have breakout type potential but hasn't been around so long to be written off as having a low ceiling. He looked promising in spots last year. I'm not predicting big things but I'm interested to see him develop.

Who are you and what have you done with Mikey? We never have enough LBs!

Oh, we have enough all right. But in recent years we haven't had nearly enough QUALITY linebackers. I haven't seen anything from Swain, or for that matter any of the others currently on the squad that indicates they might contend for all-SEC status. Is it possible that one of them makes all-SEC? Certainly. Likely? No.

A baseball team can have 10 pitchers. If none of those ten can get guys out, you won't miss one of them, or adding 10 more of the same quality won't help the team win games. To improve, the quality of the pitching must be raised. The same can be said about LB's.

Swain showed enough to have breakout type potential but hasn't been around so long to be written off as having a low ceiling. He looked promising in spots last year. I'm not predicting big things but I'm interested to see him develop.

I would say he is, at the very least, a quality backup with experience. The experience, in my opinion, is why it's a big deal to get him back on track, because are in critical need of quality depth at the position. If he remains on the team, then we will have him and Cameron Toney to back up Frost and McKinzy, which is a big deal primarily because of their size. Javy Mitchell and Justin Garrett are both a bit undersized for linebacker in this system, and I know I'd feel more comfortable with two lines on the depth chart being filled with prototypically sized players who have experience in CEJ's defense.

I would say he is, at the very least, a quality backup with experience. The experience, in my opinion, is why it's a big deal to get him back on track, because are in critical need of quality depth at the position. If he remains on the team, then we will have him and Cameron Toney to back up Frost and McKinzy, which is a big deal primarily because of their size. Javy Mitchell and Justin Garrett are both a bit undersized for linebacker in this system, and I know I'd feel more comfortable with two lines on the depth chart being filled with prototypically sized players who have experience in CEJ's defense.

I fully expect, barring injury, to see freshmen Tre Williams and DeShaun Davis in the rotation by, say, the Arkansas game. I'm thinking that as the team progresses through fall camp ability will trump experience. It's going to be interesting.

I'm not surprised that you think that, Mikey. You have been very outspoken about how little regard you have for experience making a difference, even if the ability is there. I just hope you don't start talking about how bad Williams and/or Davis are if they aren't immediately in the two-deep as true freshmen.

I'm not surprised that you think that, Mikey. You have been very outspoken about how little regard you have for experience making a difference, even if the ability is there. I just hope you don't start talking about how bad Williams and/or Davis are if they aren't immediately in the two-deep as true freshmen.

Last year we saw a big improvement in the D-line, it's already been mentioned in this thread. Last year we saw a big improvement in the D-backs, better tackling, better angles, better play on the ball. Where was the improvement in linebackers? Assuming across the board bumps in hands on coaching, the remaining explanation for the lack of improvement at LB is lack of raw ability. I do expect the freshmen to make a serious challenge for playing time, or even starting positions.

Last year we saw a big improvement in the D-line, it's already been mentioned in this thread. Last year we saw a big improvement in the D-backs, better tackling, better angles, better play on the ball. Where was the improvement in linebackers? Assuming across the board bumps in hands on coaching, the remaining explanation for the lack of improvement at LB is lack of raw ability. I do expect the freshmen to make a serious challenge for playing time, or even starting positions.

you saw no improvement in the linebackers.....lol!!! Even holland was playing decent at the end of the season. Frost improved a bunch over the year, making less boneheaded plays. Cass, on the other hand, was very steady all year... more improvement can be made sure, but you have to be blind to think the linebacker crew never improved. Linebackers played a helluva game in the nc game as well, so they will get my vote of confidence.

you saw no improvement in the linebackers.....lol!!! Even holland was playing decent at the end of the season. Frost improved a bunch over the year, making less boneheaded plays. Cass, on the other hand, was very steady all year... more improvement can be made sure, but you have to be blind to think the linebacker crew never improved. Linebackers played a helluva game in the nc game as well, so they will get my vote of confidence.

You must have missed Frost getting bulldozed by both Murray and McCarrion (not exactly bulldozer runners) or the many blown pass coverages by whoever was trying to play OLB. Both were playing out of position because nobody but Holland seemed capable of making defensive signal calls. But if you saw improvement, good on ya' mate! In our last four games of the year, we gave up 38, 28, 42 and 34 points. I'm thinking even ordinary LB play and we hold teams below those point totals. So no, I didn't see improvement.

You must have missed Frost getting bulldozed by both Murray and McCarrion (not exactly bulldozer runners) or the many blown pass coverages by whoever was trying to play OLB. Both were playing out of position because nobody but Holland seemed capable of making defensive signal calls. But if you saw improvement, good on ya' mate! In our last four games of the year, we gave up 38, 28, 42 and 34 points. I'm thinking even ordinary LB play and we hold teams below those point totals. So no, I didn't see improvement.

well how many points did we allow the last four games in the year before that? It wasn't always the linebackers fault....Hence the db screwup on the last drive against FSU and the 99 yard td pass against Alabama.

The last four games of the year were played against teams ranked #25, #1, #5, and #1, and all except Alabama had prolific offenses. Also, it's easy to get run over when you're more focused on making the tackle than delivering a blow, but you spout off about that while ignoring the fact that Frost ran down Johnny Football in a critical situation against TAMU.

But wait, it's because of a lack of raw ability? How does that explain being out of position and blown pass coverages? It couldn't be that Ellis Johnson, who IS the linebackers coach, after all, asks a great deal out of the LBs from a mental standpoint, and they were struggling because they were thinking too much (first year in the scheme, remember) and not reacting, could it? No, they're all inferior athletically. Right.

I expect both incoming freshmen to compete for playing time right out of the gate, and I wouldn't be surprised if they earned it. I wouldn't even be surprised to see one of them starting at some point in the season (though I SINCERELY doubt it will be against Arkansas). But that has a great deal to do with actual depth, not just quality depth, because this defense is essentially a 4-4 stack where the outside linebackers are replaced with safeties, so both LBs are basically inside linebackers and need some size for the D to be run properly. We've only got 5 players returning who have that size (Frost, McKinzy, Toney, Flowers, and Swain, if he does indeed return), so the newcomers will be given every opportunity to step up, and they DO have the ability to step up...but I think enough of the players we have now that I don't believe it will be an easy task for the new guys.

Quote: " Frost ran down Johnny Football in a critical situation against TAMU."

Indeed he did. Unfortunately, this fast guy that should have been playing outside LB was forced to play inside due to Lack Of Quality Depth. Thus the guys he ran down were outnumbered by the times he got run over. The position needs fixin'.

Indeed he did. Unfortunately, this fast guy that should have been playing outside LB was forced to play inside due to Lack Of Quality Depth. Thus the guys he ran down were outnumbered by the times he got run over. The position needs fixin'.

I know that method.....when in doubt, attack one sentence in a whole paragraph iot save face. Not happening today, if you seriously think the linebackers didnt improve any whatsoever this season... you need to change, "expert evaluator of linebacker talent and depth" bc that is a joke.

There is no outside linebacker position in this defense, and I think at 235 pounds, he's big enough to play the position he's playing. He just has to learn it properly, and this is the first time he's had the same coach for two consecutive seasons since high school (when he was playing wide receiver). It's a cerebral position, so it's only natural that a group made up of one senior and the rest underclassmen in 2013 had trouble getting in the right positions (and that the senior was the only one capable of calling out the assignments correctly).

But we've been through this before, and I'm not going to change your mind any more than you're going to change mine.

LB play did improve from the previous year. I saw some good plays (more from Cass.) and some plays that reminded me of the previous years. I dont pretend to know the assignments or if a LB is out of position or not. What i havent seen is a LB the has that "IT" factor. The guy who offensive players mention in pregame pressers that " we have to account for at all times." The guy who will find the ball carrier and run him down and rip his head off no matter what position he started in. The guy who never takes bad angles to the football(coaching helps but i think this is mostly instinctual). Gus mentioned Justin Garrett recently and said "he just has a nose for the football". That is what i want to see. A guy with the instinct to play the game. They all have the ability and i wouldnt call any of them terrible. I just want at least one to step out and be the beast.

LB play did improve from the previous year. I saw some good plays (more from Cass.) and some plays that reminded me of the previous years. I dont pretend to know the assignments or if a LB is out of position or not. What i havent seen is a LB the has that "IT" factor. The guy who offensive players mention in pregame pressers that " we have to account for at all times." The guy who will find the ball carrier and run him down and rip his head off no matter what position he started in. The guy who never takes bad angles to the football(coaching helps but i think this is mostly instinctual). Gus mentioned Justin Garrett recently and said "he just has a nose for the football". That is what i want to see. A guy with the instinct to play the game. They all have the ability and i wouldnt call any of them terrible. I just want at least one to step out and be the beast.

Well stated.

I know that method.....when in doubt, attack one sentence in a whole paragraph iot save face. Not happening today, if you seriously think the linebackers didnt improve any whatsoever this season... you need to change, "expert evaluator of linebacker talent and depth" bc that is a joke.

Of course it's a joke. Are you among the humor impaired?

Many time last year the scoring against our D was not solely due to one group of players. Last year I saw a combination of gaffes from multiple positions that directly led to scores. The LB position seems to have been the weakest position last year. However, I saw the most improvement from that group, mostly because the had the most to improve. That said, it was our first year under a new scheme and that will have an effect on performance. A lot of our players were cautious and worried about making mistakes rather than worrying about making plays. This Spring we heard EJ state that this year was more about scheme and less about technique. That tells me he feels the playing aspect, such as angles, reads, and tackling, have been fixed. I believe this year our D will be much improved. One reason is the return of some of our best player like Garrett and Holsey. Another is the comfort the players have in the new scheme and the understanding of their role in the D.

I think we should stop dwelling on what went bad or who played worse and turn our eyes to what we have done to improve and why we will be better.

Archived