Why Tre Mason's skills may be best suited...

bigbird

"You need to be both a stronger, more powerful runner, and a back capable of working through small cracks at the point of attack. Mason is that back.

He was a patient runner, with an innate understanding that burst and acceleration is a function of speed through the hole, not speed to the hole. Mason is a sturdier behind-his-pads runner than Carey, Seastrunk and Sankey; that gives him a lower center of gravity and more natural power. It also showed in his outstanding balance and body control, with deceptively quick feet and subtle change of direction to make defenders miss in space."

Dare I say Mason could be described as a....bruiser? Nice write up overall. Seemed to break down each back pretty well. Get 'em , Tre.

"You need to be both a stronger, more powerful runner, and a back capable of working through small cracks at the point of attack. Mason is that back.

He was a patient runner, with an innate understanding that burst and acceleration is a function of speed through the hole, not speed to the hole. Mason is a sturdier behind-his-pads runner than Carey, Seastrunk and Sankey; that gives him a lower center of gravity and more natural power. It also showed in his outstanding balance and body control, with deceptively quick feet and subtle change of direction to make defenders miss in space."

Dare I say Mason could be described as a....bruiser? Nice write up overall. Seemed to break down each back pretty well. Get 'em , Tre.

Pretty sure you dare, Chimes. :rolleyes:

I'd take Tre as the first back off the board -- but I watched him play over the course of several seasons and know how good he is. Whether one describes him as a 'bruiser' or not, he's without question an excellent player.

Thanks for posting, bird!

Dare I say Mason could be described as a....bruiser?

Say it loud, say it proud. I got your back.

I remember arguing on here, along w/ metafour and a very few others, as late as mid season that Tre is an NFL-caliber RB. Unfortunately, many AU fans 1) never realized that Tre knew where the weight room was located and 2) simply won't accept that 205 lbs does not a small RB make- in fact, it's quickly becoming the norm in the NFL. (And it's those same people now saying that Corey Grant- who is built similarly to Tre, but who is by all accounts lb-for-lb stronger- is strictly a speed back.)

Don't let the scouting report on these kids out of high school be your permanent assessment of them, Auburn fans. Don't mistake their most obvious qualities for their defining ones.

Not to make this a Corey Grant thread, but I have a feeling that Grant will be what Tre was last season, but more explosive.

Not to make this a Corey Grant thread, but I have a feeling that Grant will be what Tre was last season, but more explosive.

I think Tre will be missed. Thats not to say that I dont have confidence in CAP and Grant because I do but Tre's greatest talent, to me, was his way of exploding through the skinniest daylight. Not sure Grant has the same vision as Tre. I really believe CAP can be a star and with Grant alongside Auburn should light it up on the ground again in '14.

Just remember this time last year no one thought Tre could handle 20 carries a game. Also remember that through the first few games we had a three back rotation till Tre got the hot hand. I think Corey or Cap can be everything that Tre was in Gus's offense. Guess they will just have to convince you guys the way Tre did last year WDE

Just remember this time last year no one thought Tre could handle 20 carries a game. Also remember that through the first few games we had a three back rotation till Tre got the hot hand. I think Corey or Cap can be everything that Tre was in Gus's offense. Guess they will just have to convince you guys the way Tre did last year WDE

Who needs convincing? I don't see any doubters here. We will have 4 guys -- don't forget Barber and Roc -- possibly capable of being our #1 back. There has been a lot of discussion and speculation about which one will come out on top, but there is no doubt we will have a potent running attack.

I love our RBs. Tre was awesome. He is exactly what an NFL team should be looking for. He is as advertised above. He can get through the gaps quickly and quickly find the gaps.

I always liked Ronnie Brown for "falling forward". Low center of gravity... Power... Tre is like that. Extremely high quality RB.

Tre is going to be a great NFL back if he is able to stay healthy. Emmit Smith.....that is the RB everyone should compare Tre too. He is small enough that LBs have trouble finding him behind the LOS. Even though he is smaller he runs with a low center of gravity and runs behind his pads well so that he is hard to get down. He is a patient runner but has quick explosive feet to hit a hole once it appears. He has great vision and balance that allows him to find and hit the creases and cut back lanes. He is extremely shifty so it is hard to get a solid hit on him. How many times you guys remember Tre getting his clocked clean last year? Not many. He alsways falls forward and is smart enough to know the down and distance so on 3rd and short he is extremely hard to stop.

Tre saved us on at least a couple 3rd and short plays last year that weren't blocked well. I remember one in the Texas A&M game where he had no business getting a first down and almost went under a guy to pick up the first down. Tre isn't the fastes or biggest RB out there but i'd say he is up there with the best. I see him having a long and productive pro career.

Tre will be an every down back in the NFL a dying breed. Just hope he goes to a team with a solid O-Line so he can showcase his skills. Will have to develop his catching the ball out of the backfield and improve his blocking but he is capable of doing it. If he goes to the right team could have a breakout year in a game that is slowly forgetting that the RB exists in the pros.

If he can't help out Cam I'd love to see him in the Burgh....but that's unlikely due to our needs.

My son is praying he goes to the Panthers.

I wouldn't mind that, but we have way too many RBs on the roster right now (for no good reason).

Tre will be drafted by the Browns in the third round.

I hope not. Don't want one former AU running back cutting into the carries/spotlight of another. I'm hoping Panthers, Broncos, or Seahawks...all for my own selfish reasons.

Tre will be drafted by the Browns in the third round.

I hope not. Don't want one former AU running back cutting into the carries/spotlight of another. I'm hoping Panthers, Broncos, or Seahawks...all for my own selfish reasons.

Panthers have DWill, Broncos are setting Montee Ball to be their franchise RB, and Seahawks have beast mode for years to come. But we will see!

Also, speaking of remembering: I found it interesting that Seastrunk was one of the four mentioned in the yahoo article. Four years ago we thought it could be Michael Dyer edging out Seastrunk as the first RB taken tonight. Turns out, there is an Auburn RB challenging Seastrunk, it's just Tre Mason instead. Running Back U just keeps churning them out!

Hope Tre gets whom/wherever he wants, he's earned every bit of it. Don't see how anyone can watch his amazing performances against the defenses he faced in the Iron Bowl & SECCG--on two consecutive Saturdays--and question his toughness!

Someone projected tre to the titans in the 2nd or 3rd. Im on the ship with folks dreaming he would be a panther but that is no more than a dream. Panthers have double trouble at RB and recently drafted one of those oregon backs. Maybe one day he will get traded to carolina but he wont get drafted there

Tre will be an every down back in the NFL a dying breed. Just hope he goes to a team with a solid O-Line so he can showcase his skills. Will have to develop his catching the ball out of the backfield and improve his blocking but he is capable of doing it. If he goes to the right team could have a breakout year in a game that is slowly forgetting that the RB exists in the pros.

I don't think he will be an every down back. Unless you are AP you will share the load. Teams still run the ball. They just don't have it all on one man.

As a Cowboy fan I would love to have Tre. Dallas needs a complementary back to Demarco Murray.

I'm a Falcons fan and they need a RB to replace old/broken down Steven Jackson. No offense to Tre, but if I'm the GM I'm taking Jeremy Hill hands down, assuming he's done sucker punching people in parking lots.

Archived