2015 4* C Brandon Kennedy (Alabama signee)

AUbritt

I noticed that E mentioned Kennedy in the Williams thread. Then I read this article today about Kennedy.

Few have had as good of a spring as Brandon Kennedy.

Schools like Alabama, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Mississippi State and Georgia have all visited Wetumpka High School to see the 6-foot-3, 300-pound offensive lineman. The powerful interior offensive lineman has double-digit scholarship offers and has seen his stock steadily rise after shutting down Shades Valley defensive lineman Daron Payne, the state's top-ranked player, during drills at a Rivals.com camp in Hoover.

"I think I got the best of him," Kennedy admitted.

In the last two weeks Kennedy has picked up scholarship offers from Virginia Tech, Duke, Georgia Tech and Minnesota. Duke has quickly emerged as one of the hardest-pushing schools after Kennedy, along with Clemson and Louisville.

The power in-state schools haven't been nearly as aggressive recruiting him.

"I haven't talked to Auburn too much," he said. "Alabama wants me to come to camp so they can evaluate me and see how I fit into their system."

He plans to attend Alabama's camp, as well as take in cookouts at Clemson, Tennessee and Georgia Tech. After taking some visits, and potentially landing some more offers, Kennedy hopes to narrow his list down this summer.

He will then try to commit to a school before the season starts, likely sometime in August. There isn't a favorite at this point, though all eight predictions on 247Sports' Crystal Ball feature have him pegged to Auburn. The Tigers have offered multiple in-state offensive linemen, including Bessemer City's Darryl Williams and Southside-Gadsden's Tyler Carr, but haven't offered Kennedy.

Kennedy isn't worried, though. He is just working on become a better offensive lineman and letting the recruiting sort itself out. It certainly has worked well for him up to this point.

"I've just been trying to execute plays correctly, and to do that to the best of my abilities," he said. "I feel better than I felt last year."

Anyone know why we haven't offered; or, if we did, whether Kennedy would be interested?

Also, I'm assuming we'd be interested in Kennedy as a center, right?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I would think he would need to camp. He and Carr may get shut out though due to others willing to commit earlier. DW has just blown up recently, so that is his reason. Don't know why Carr is slow walking it.

So him and Darryl Williams shut down Daron Payne, therefore making both of their recruiting heat up?

So him and Darryl Williams shut down Daron Payne, therefore making both of their recruiting heat up?

You sure it wasn't Darrell Williams? ;)

I suspect that whomever we sign as center, he'll need to be able to shut down Payne. :cry3:

If Kennedy & Darryl Williams just Payne down then I wouldn't be surprised if Payne's stock started to fall...

This would also explain why Payne did not get an invite to The Opening.

It seems that some are implying that maybe D. Payne is over rated? Maybe that's possible IDK but it does seem that a lot of the services rate these guys based on physical attributes and performance against their scheduled teams. However, attitude is so much of the factor. Some of these young men have great numbers and attributes, but when you put them in a position to work against someone who has a killer attitude the fight in their heart (or lack thereof) begins to get revealed. D. Williams looks like one of those guys who has a lot of fight in his heart and others like Payne or Calloway... et.al has their fight revealed in the heat of battle. Am i wrong or misguided or off track or correct what is the consensus opinion out there?

It seems that some are implying that maybe D. Payne is over rated? Maybe that's possible IDK but it does seem that a lot of the services rate these guys based on physical attributes and performance against their scheduled teams. However, attitude is so much of the factor. Some of these young men have great numbers and attributes, but when you put them in a position to work against someone who has a killer attitude the fight in their heart (or lack thereof) begins to get revealed. D. Williams looks like one of those guys who has a lot of fight in his heart and others like Payne or Calloway... et.al has their fight revealed in the heat of battle. Am i wrong or misguided or off track or correct what is the consensus opinion out there?

I'm sure you are pretty correct in that a players measurables greatly influences their rankings. Atleast initially, now as the process goes along and these guys are evaluated a bit more by the services then you'll see some guys fall and some guys rise.

I remember playing as a high schooler which was about a decade ago now that we had a guy on the OL that was like 6'6" and weighed roughly 270 if not 300 lbs. For a small school like us this guy was 5 inches taller than anybody else on the line. He went on to be the only player from the OL selected to all state and I would say he was probably the 3rd best lineman on the team. He just didn't have the want to to dominate like he should have.

So i'm sure the same happens to some degree with the recruiting services. There are so many HS players out there they just can't do a thorough evaluation of them all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have known Brandon for years , and we even talked with him a couple of weeks ago when we was in Wetumpka visiting family.Him and my oldest son are good friends. He seemed very confused as to why Auburn has not shown any real interest yet. He had a GREAT camp at Auburn as a Sophomore , and there was even a story on either Scout or Rivals about that. I do not know about the #1 center in the country rating that Rivals gave him, Because He has always played Guard, Tackle , and D-line since he was in youth football. Just from what he told me , he would be very interested in Auburn , but he does not want to be a 2nd or 3rd option if other recruits fall through.He is a great student , and an even better kid.

I have known Brandon for years , and we even talked with him a couple of weeks ago when we was in Wetumpka visiting family.Him and my oldest son are good friends. He seemed very confused as to why Auburn has not shown any real interest yet. He had a GREAT camp at Auburn as a Sophomore , and there was even a story on either Scout or Rivals about that. I do not know about the #1 center in the country rating that Rivals gave him, Because He has always played Guard, Tackle , and D-line since he was in youth football. Just from what he told me , he would be very interested in Auburn , but he does not want to be a 2nd or 3rd option if other recruits fall through.He is a great student , and an even better kid.

Sounds like a winner to me, and I do understand wanting to be a first option (especially if he's interested in Auburn). No inside info, so I don't know where he sits on our board, but I would hope he would change his mind if we did offer him later than someone else at center.

• 3 weeks later...

So, how many guys are going to have to push Payne around before he stops being "The state's #1 player"?

So, how many guys are going to have to push Payne around before he stops being "The state's #1 player"?

Probably quite a few. Even at his size he apparently played very well last week at the Rivals 5* Camp.

These guys with potential who haven't really put it all together puzzle me. It's like they're always given the benefit of the doubt based on that potential and no downside is factored into their rankings. Think lamichael fanning.

Payne, like Fanning, looks great running through drills. He has definitely got the fast twitch muscles you're looking for at a DT/NT position but so rarely can find in an athlete his size. His issue will be work ethic and motivation. With his #1 state ranking on Rivals they are apparantly assuming he will be motivated enough to commit to a college level year round work out program like he will be asked to do. Personally, and as you brought up, it would concern me a guy of his talent is being stonewalled by Darryl Williams at camp. Williams shouldn't have the talent to be on the same field as Payne, but has the heart and desire of 5 Payne's.

These guys with potential who haven't really put it all together puzzle me. It's like they're always given the benefit of the doubt based on that potential and no downside is factored into their rankings. Think lamichael fanning.

Payne, like Fanning, looks great running through drills. He has definitely got the fast twitch muscles you're looking for at a DT/NT position but so rarely can find in an athlete his size. His issue will be work ethic and motivation. With his #1 state ranking on Rivals they are apparantly assuming he will be motivated enough to commit to a college level year round work out program like he will be asked to do. Personally, and as you brought up, it would concern me a guy of his talent is being stonewalled by Darryl Williams at camp. Williams shouldn't have the talent to be on the same field as Payne, but has the heart and desire of 5 Payne's.

I don't have a problem with Payne as the #1 player in Alabama. He is. But like you said he has issues with his work ethic. There are some VERY good players in Alabama this year.

Have always liked everything I've heard about Kennedy. He just seems like a great fit for Auburn to me. I would be very happy if he ended up here. It sort of feels like other centers on our board are either already Bama bound or holding out for Bama offers.

Does anyone know how much the coaches have seen him play or in camps?

Looking at his offer list, he's obviously a great student. Smart kids on the OL are always a good thing. Good size. In-State kid. Lots of positives.

According to the latest ESPN rankings, he's now rated higher than Darryl Williams and Tyler Carr.

He's been ranked high by ESPN. They were the first to rank him high. He actually just dropped 13 spots from 89 to 102 overall on the ESPN 300.

According to the latest ESPN rankings, he's now rated higher than Darryl Williams and Tyler Carr.

He's been ranked high by ESPN. They were the first to rank him high. He actually just dropped 13 spots from 89 to 102 overall on the ESPN 300.

Thanks for the correction, E.

Archived