2013 4* S Tray Matthews (Georgia signee & transferred to AU)

Rednilla

War Eagle Tray, and remember to bat the damn ball down.

Technically, he never touched it. Granted, it sure looked like he intended to catch it, but Josh Harvey Clemons knocked it up in the air. Just want to make sure we all recognize that...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically, he never touched it. Granted, it sure looked like he intended to catch it, but Josh Harvey Clemons knocked it up in the air. Just want to make sure we all recognize that...

Yep, this is correct. Mathews was trying to catch the ball, not knock it down, but he never touched the ball, JHC knocked the ball up in the air.

True, but irrelevant in my book. All that means is Matthews did a slightly worse job of trying to intercept a fourth down Hail Mary than Harvey-Clemons did. There were no innocent parties in the UGA backfield that day.

Nevertheless, here's to hoping it's not the last historic play Matthews is part of in Jordan Hare.

True, but irrelevant in my book. All that means is Matthews did a slightly worse job of trying to intercept a fourth down Hail Mary than Harvey-Clemons did. There were no innocent parties in the UGA backfield that day.

Nevertheless, here's to hoping it's not the last historic play Matthews is part of in Jordan Hare.

Respectfully disagree. Tray was in perfect position to seal the game for the pups had HC not messed things up. Can't assume Tray was going to make a blunder there like HC did.

He should have never tried to go for the catch. As a safety, in a situation like that, you are always taught to knock it down for the exact reason that happened.

I have to agree with you. Since junior high football, all coaches preach "don't try to be the hero just knock the ball down" on desperation throws. I have to think the Georgia coaches said something similar before the play, unless they thought auburn would throw an underneath pass.

It still wasn't his fault whether or not if he tried to catch it or knock it down. Game would had been over if Harvey Clemons hadn't interfered with the ball.

He should have never tried to go for the catch. As a safety, in a situation like that, you are always taught to knock it down for the exact reason that happened.

I know. My point is though he could not get into position to knock it down because HC was in front and above him

It still wasn't his fault whether or not if he tried to catch it or knock it down. Game would had been over if Harvey Clemons hadn't interfered with the ball.

Bingo or HC knock it down himself.

smart ass

It definitely wasnt trays fault at all. 100% HC because tray would've either caught the ball or knocked it down himself. Judging the picture, both were trying to catch the ball ...not knock it down. Gotta be horrible coaching considering it was 4th and 18

I guess I don't understand the folks who are saying anything other than Tray should have tried to knock the ball down. That's just the right thing for him to have done in that situation. Whether he could/would have caught it had H-C not touched the ball first is irrelevant. Tray should have tried to knock the ball down, and yet he clearly was trying to catch it. He made a bad decision in that situation -- one I hope he never makes again.

I'm happy that Tray gets a second chance at Auburn. But I really hope he learns from his mistakes off and on the field.

It definitely wasnt trays fault at all. 100% HC because tray would've either caught the ball or knocked it down himself. Judging the picture, both were trying to catch the ball ...not knock it down. Gotta be horrible coaching considering it was 4th and 18

^^^This^^^

He wanted to catch it, and he probably would have. Instead, thanks to Sir-Smokes-A-Lot, Ricardo made history

I agree with Bird. My above post was just an ill-advised attempt at humor. There is NO excuse for not knocking it down. Why catch it and risk a fumble? That would be just like a catch for us. Tray has to have been coached to knock the ball down since Pee-Wee ball. The UGA staff apparently didn't remind them tough. That is just crazy!

I'm not so sure that, had Tray intercepted the ball that was about to land right in his breadbasket, any football coach would be nearly as upset with him as some of y'all are for him being in position to make an easy catch.

I'm not so sure that, had Tray intercepted the ball that was about to land right in his breadbasket, any football coach would be nearly as upset with him as some of y'all are for him being in position to make an easy catch.

No telling how far he would have been able to return it too.

F-U-M-B-L-E. That is why you just knock it down when you are leading. And I bet if one of our guys did this and even if they succeeded that Coaches Smith/Cheese would have a talk with them afterwards.

It is DB 101.

I don't think anyone is arguing whether or not he should have knocked the ball down. Some are just saying that HC is the reason for the deflection. He could have tried to knock the ball down and HC could still have tipped it up to Ricardo. Anyway we all agree they didn't play the ball right.

NO! I want to drive this until the wheels fall off! Should we take a poll to see who everyone thinks we should blame?? >:D

Archived