2013 4* S Tray Matthews (Georgia signee & transferred to AU)

Rednilla

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given his record at UGA it will interesting to see if he can avoid that 1st strike over the next 14 months and actually take a snap for Auburn. I sure do hope I'm wrong but when a kid is rewarded for bad behavior it usually doesn't turn out good. We all need to keep the young man in our prayers.

Being given a second chance is not being "rewarded."

I disagree. Playing football at Auburn is a pretty prestigious gig...One that most posters here and high school players across the country would love to have. It comes with quite a few perks off the field too.

He might not have been "rewarded" but he was definitely "awarded" a very special opportunity.

I love Auburn too, but when you're already at a major program being forced to change schools and leave all your friends, teammates, etc behind and get adjusted somewhere new isn't exactly a reward. It is a special opportunity, but it's not like he only got it because he messed up. If he had wanted to leave on his own he could have done that too.

All that said, I personally wish Tray nothing but the best and wouldn't have any issue seeing him start at AU.

Cole: Ill say it because the mods wont. This is a free website that is 20 x better than any pay AU website. I think I can say, that the mods are not on the team, on the coaching staff, etc. If they miss so what? What did it cost you? If your feathers are ruffled, pay for "insider information". They probably are not as accurate as mods on here. Like the old analogy, food was bad and portions were so small. Take it for what it is worth. It is was it is, and other cliches.

Preach!!

These forums are awesome and that is why they have withstood the test of time and an uncountable number of whining sessions, a few initiated by myself. I like the fact that the old school mods from the WEN days will b###h slap you around if they feel the need. They will let you get your $.02 in unless you are a complete doofus.

Given his record at UGA it will interesting to see if he can avoid that 1st strike over the next 14 months and actually take a snap for Auburn. I sure do hope I'm wrong but when a kid is rewarded for bad behavior it usually doesn't turn out good. We all need to keep the young man in our prayers.

Being given a second chance is not being "rewarded."

I disagree. Playing football at Auburn is a pretty prestigious gig...One that most posters here and high school players across the country would love to have. It comes with quite a few perks off the field too.

He might not have been "rewarded" but he was definitely "awarded" a very special opportunity.

I love Auburn too, but when you're already at a major program being forced to change schools and leave all your friends, teammates, etc behind and get adjusted somewhere new isn't exactly a reward. It is a special opportunity, but it's not like he only got it because he messed up. If he had wanted to leave on his own he could have done that too.

All that said, I personally wish Tray nothing but the best and wouldn't have any issue seeing him start at AU.

I don't really follow your logic... but completely screwing up to the point of getting kicked out of school/off the team and getting to go to AU instead of juco is pretty awesome. It's a helluva lot closer to a reward/award than a punishment.

Cole: Ill say it because the mods wont. This is a free website that is 20 x better than any pay AU website. I think I can say, that the mods are not on the team, on the coaching staff, etc. If they miss so what? What did it cost you? If your feathers are ruffled, pay for "insider information". They probably are not as accurate as mods on here. Like the old analogy, food was bad and portions were so small. Take it for what it is worth. It is was it is, and other cliches.

I'll say what I want to. You shouldn't ever try to tell someone to shut up or what to post or not to post because you have the info and nobody else does, 9 times out of 10 you will look like an arse. And me caring about what bothers you well let's just say I don't at all. I've wrote on here a hundred times that a person being wrong is no big deal but there is always a guy like you who loves the soapbox then always another guy who doesn't even know what's going on that will clap and listen to the garbage

I'm more about wanting our defense to be elite, I know that it's not likely every player have nfl measurable but 4.7 is slow for a linebacker. It's slow for a safety especially against these spread offenses now. I'm aware they don't need to be as fast as a corner I played and help coach corners myself but unless you're EXTREMELY smart and instinctive that can be a liability. Also for all we know that time isn't right at all

FWIW Keith Niebuhr says speed at safety, especially at boundary safety where you are responsible for less ground than free safety, is not as important as some think. It's more about angles and reaction. If Tray does those things well then 4.7 speed will be fine at safety.

Hence me saying unless a guy is EXTREMELY smart and instinctive. And if it wasn't that important then slower guys would get drafted

No E wasn't meant for you and no I won't form it as a question because it's not. When people had questions or statements early on about this there were some who blew them off and said there was no way TM ends up here yet here he is. This would be like the third situation where this situation or a similar happened. I'm thinking instead of the people who are supposed to be the all knowing looking down on everybody, everybody should be treated equally because with different recruits from different areas from all over there could be many "insiders" at one given point of time instead of the well if so and so didn't say it it's not legit and if they do day it it shouldn't be questioned. At last that's my opinion.

Well I will respond to this by saying WDEWDE, and Bigbird when he has passed on info, have never passed on info to us in a manner that is all knowing nor have either one ever blew off any readers that question about a recruit. They also have never posted in a way that came across as them being better than the rest of the members on this board. They have treated everybody equally. If people read their posts in the manner which you stated then it's on their own misinterpretations or general distaste for insider posting in general that scews perception. Another factor could be so many of us revere what they bring to the table that it creates a negative and inaccurate perception of them and/ or their posts for some people.

Or guys like you put them on a pedestal.

Better chance of me playing for AU than Trey.

That settles that. Tray virtually a lock to Louisville per our insider..

Chimes, do you also post under 'Metafour'?

:poke:

Britt, you are a constant thorn in my side. Keep up the good work. :hellyeah:

:cheers:

What are other dudes bickering about regarding establishing a class system for who telling whom when to speak and what to say and all that jazz?

:dunno:

Any way, War Eagle, Tray! Welcome to Auburn. Here's hoping you become a productive member of the team and the community!

I thought if you had scholarship offered at the new school, you had to wait two years to play again ..

Not if the original school releases you to the new school. Richt released Tray to go anywhere. Tray only has to sit 1 now.

Kudos to Richt for putting what was best for the kid ahead of what would make his job easier.

and for Weegs...

316476v0yggwy1rx.gif

:laugh: Owns me every time! Just please don't post the hermaphroschlong....

I couldn't find it, but I did try

Everyone needs to be reminded of what his 2 strikes were at GA. The first was he cashed his check twice. Net crime was less than $70. I know it was wrong but he did not rob a trailer with kids who were selling dope or beat up his girlfriend or another student. The 2nd was being disrespectful to a professor & being disorderly in class. Again, it's not the right thing to do and it was wrong, but in the grand scheme of things it's not a major crime. IMO Richt is trying to set examples on his team because over the past few years they have become THUGA, and I believe in years past Tray would have only received some sort of suspension.

This is a quick fix for AU - get the kid direct deposit and send a GA to class with him to keep him in line. :dunno:

I thought if you had scholarship offered at the new school, you had to wait two years to play again ..

Not if the original school releases you to the new school. Richt released Tray to go anywhere. Tray only has to sit 1 now.

Awesome

Excellent news!!!

A relatively unbiased article on Tray's transfer to Auburn.

Auburn is all about giving players second chances, and Gus Malzahn took another chance this weekend when he agreed to bring on former Georgia defensive back Tray Matthewsjust weeks after Matthews had been dismissed by the Bulldogs.

The move drew criticism from rival fans who called Auburn names like “Thug University” or “college football’s rehab center,” but the Tigers have had success bringing in players with checkered pasts and who have needed a second chance.

Everyone will be watching to see how this one turns out. I personally think the risk is worth it.

A relatively unbiased article on Tray's transfer to Auburn.

Auburn is all about giving players second chances, and Gus Malzahn took another chance this weekend when he agreed to bring on former Georgia defensive back Tray Matthewsjust weeks after Matthews had been dismissed by the Bulldogs.

The move drew criticism from rival fans who called Auburn names like “Thug University” or “college football’s rehab center,” but the Tigers have had success bringing in players with checkered pasts and who have needed a second chance.

Everyone will be watching to see how this one turns out. I personally think the risk is worth it.

I prefer "Island of misfit boys" personally, but to each his own.

War Eagle Tray, and remember to bat the damn ball down.

Archived