2013 4* S Tray Matthews (Georgia signee & transferred to AU)

Rednilla

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Safeties usually do not have, nor need, to be the fastest. Corners are usually your faster players due to their alignment and the need for recovery speed. Safeties, due to their alignment, do not need the same type of speed, they rely more on positioning and angles. That's not saying it won't help tremendously, but the position doesn't require it as much as a corner.

Has Gus said TM will be under any kind of probationary period like those who were signed and then got into legal trouble, or will he be just like any other signee that has not been in trouble.

Most recent report on UGA Rivals and Scout football roster was Tray at 6'0 196 lbs.

As things stand now we look good at Star the next 2 years w/ Therezie and Garrett. Behind them is MacKenro Alexander and by reports he had a great Spring. It looks much more likely Trat replaces Whitehead at his safety spot after he graduates this year.

Now that Tray is transferring to Auburn, will he have 2 or 3 years left?

This question has been answered for you specifically 4 times, 3 by me. I'm not answering it again. Somebody else feel free to.

Has Gus said TM will be under any kind of probationary period like those who were signed and then got into legal trouble, or will he be just like any other signee that has not been in trouble.

I don't know how you want to define it but he is highly likely under a 1 strike and you're out policy like every other guy that has been in trouble once before in Gus's HC career.

I'll answer it for you. He will sit out the 2014 season and begin play in 2015 with 3 years of eligibility remaining. He will go on scholarship as soon as he enrolls this Summer.

Wasn't necessarily thinking tm vs nfl measurables but CEJ looking at longer athletes and particularly what seems to be a trend of taller db's for auburn. Also CEJ has mentioned versatility by players.

The star position seems inherently geared towards tweeners or excellent/intelligent athletes

Guys, I just have a couple of questions. Do you think Tray Matthews will start this season opener against Arkansas? Does Matthews have 5 or 6 years of eligibility left?Just Kidding! Got ya!

Given his record at UGA it will interesting to see if he can avoid that 1st strike over the next 14 months and actually take a snap for Auburn. I sure do hope I'm wrong but when a kid is rewarded for bad behavior it usually doesn't turn out good. We all need to keep the young man in our prayers.

Everyone needs to be reminded of what his 2 strikes were at GA. The first was he cashed his check twice. Net crime was less than $70. I know it was wrong but he did not rob a trailer with kids who were selling dope or beat up his girlfriend or another student. The 2nd was being disrespectful to a professor & being disorderly in class. Again, it's not the right thing to do and it was wrong, but in the grand scheme of things it's not a major crime. IMO Richt is trying to set examples on his team because over the past few years they have become THUGA, and I believe in years past Tray would have only received some sort of suspension.

If I recall those weren't his first two strikes... He was suspended the first game if the season.

I'm more about wanting our defense to be elite, I know that it's not likely every player have nfl measurable but 4.7 is slow for a linebacker. It's slow for a safety especially against these spread offenses now. I'm aware they don't need to be as fast as a corner I played and help coach corners myself but unless you're EXTREMELY smart and instinctive that can be a liability. Also for all we know that time isn't right at all

Everyone needs to be reminded of what his 2 strikes were at GA. The first was he cashed his check twice. Net crime was less than $70. I know it was wrong but he did not rob a trailer with kids who were selling dope or beat up his girlfriend or another student. The 2nd was being disrespectful to a professor & being disorderly in class. Again, it's not the right thing to do and it was wrong, but in the grand scheme of things it's not a major crime. IMO Richt is trying to set examples on his team because over the past few years they have become THUGA, and I believe in years past Tray would have only received some sort of suspension.

FWIW with Gus on transfer kids, how many ever strikes at the previous school is a collective 1 regardles ofd the number of incidents.

I'm more about wanting our defense to be elite, I know that it's not likely every player have nfl measurable but 4.7 is slow for a linebacker. It's slow for a safety especially against these spread offenses now. I'm aware they don't need to be as fast as a corner I played and help coach corners myself but unless you're EXTREMELY smart and instinctive that can be a liability. Also for all we know that time isn't right at all

FWIW Keith Niebuhr says speed at safety, especially at boundary safety where you are responsible for less ground than free safety, is not as important as some think. It's more about angles and reaction. If Tray does those things well then 4.7 speed will be fine at safety.

If I recall those weren't his first two strikes... He was suspended the first game if the season.

He played against Clemson so he definitely wasn't suspended.

Given his record at UGA it will interesting to see if he can avoid that 1st strike over the next 14 months and actually take a snap for Auburn. I sure do hope I'm wrong but when a kid is rewarded for bad behavior it usually doesn't turn out good. We all need to keep the young man in our prayers.

Being given a second chance is not being "rewarded."

Being given a second chance is not being "rewarded."

I disagree. Playing football at Auburn is a pretty prestigious gig...One that most posters here and high school players across the country would love to have. It comes with quite a few perks off the field too.

He might not have been "rewarded" but he was definitely "awarded" a very special opportunity.

7 years left

Cracked me up! Thanks

He played against Clemson so he definitely wasn't suspended.

You're right. May have had someone else in mind. Harvey-Clemmons maybe?

FWIW Keith Niebuhr says speed at safety, especially at boundary safety where you are responsible for less ground than free safety, is not as important as some think. It's more about angles and reaction. If Tray does those things well then 4.7 speed will be fine at safety.

Yep...to help reiterate your points....Rodney Harrison was a pro-bowl safety for the patriots for years. He was very feared and he was clocked at 4.82 so speed isnt everything.

Cole: Ill say it because the mods wont. This is a free website that is 20 x better than any pay AU website. I think I can say, that the mods are not on the team, on the coaching staff, etc. If they miss so what? What did it cost you? If your feathers are ruffled, pay for "insider information". They probably are not as accurate as mods on here. Like the old analogy, food was bad and portions were so small. Take it for what it is worth. It is was it is, and other cliches.

Archived