2013 4* S Tray Matthews (Georgia signee & transferred to AU)

Rednilla

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all fairness to Richt and his defensive staff, I'm sure both Matthews and H-C were instructed to knock it down. But both guys, in the moment, wanted to be the hero which isn't uncommon -- even though its stupid. But coaches can't knock the ball down for them, they can only tell them what to do. Just like GUS INSTRUCTED NICK MARSHALL TO THROW TO COATES on this very play specifically (who was wide the hell open for a 1st down + a chunk more, by the way) but Nick Marshall wanted to play hero ball in this instance and made a terrible read, decision, and throw. But the ball literally bounced our way and helped us win the SEC Championship.

I wish the fsu db knocked it down instead of intercepting nick in the bcs game! We would be champs now. All kids want an interception regardless of what time is on the clock or what quarter it is to help pad those stats. Although knocking it down is the right thing to do, trust me, from a former db, it's not that easy. Especially when it's about to fall in your lap, the easiest int any db could ever dream of having.

I wish the fsu db knocked it down instead of intercepting nick in the bcs game! We would be champs now. All kids want an interception regardless of what time is on the clock or what quarter it is to help pad those stats. Although knocking it down is the right thing to do, trust me, from a former db, it's not that easy. Especially when it's about to fall in your lap, the easiest int any db could ever dream of having.

4th down, 60 yards down field, last few minutes of the game? Gotta think smarter.

4th down, 60 yards down field, last few minutes of the game? Gotta think smarter.

Are you saying this individual has issues making good decisions?...

I know, but trust me, it does get very tempting.

Are you saying this individual has issues making good decisions?...

:popcorn:

I know, but trust me, it does get very tempting.

I get that, too. And probably most DBs think they can return the interception for a TD every time -- or at least that it's worth a shot.

I think it's just instinctive. You're taught day in day out to intercept the ball. That becomes instinct.

I think it's just instinctive. You're taught day in day out to intercept the ball. That becomes instinct.

Its a lot like the UGA receiver 2 years ago in the SECCG that should have let the ball hit the ground inside the 5 yd line. Instincts and training took over and he caught the ball to try and help his team win. In most of those cases you're either a hero or zero.

I do like the instincts of the game Tray brings and I would think this coaching staff will bring this up. War Eagle Tray.

I personally didn't have a problem with him trying for the int. and if he had gotten it, I'm pretty sure mark richt would have been congratulating him with open arms. Game over, with a comeback of epic proportion's that would have went down in history for their program.

I personally didn't have a problem with him trying for the int. and if he had gotten it, I'm pretty sure mark richt would have been congratulating him with open arms. Game over, with a comeback of epic proportion's that would have went down in history for their program.

But that's the thing about "if". It didn't happen that way.

Knocked down balls don't get caught. Missed interceptions occasionally do.

We have about played this thing to death. I am very happy to have Tray. I hope things work out well for him.

Are you sayimg Tray meant to tip the ball to Ricardo? Don't forget, there were 2 other Georgia playing trying to get the ball. It wasn't just Tray back there.

It was an int if his teammate had left it alone. And u can't knock down the ball if you didn't actually have a chance to, just sayin. WDE Tray! And welcome to AU!!

I am going to spill the beans now that it has come full circle. I heard that Tray and Ricardo planned this when AU was recruiting Tray in HS. JHC was paid by Saban/Danny Sheridan to foil the plot in order to dash AU's hopes prior to the IB. Gus found out about the Sheridan plot and had Nick put a reverse spin on his pass. Thereby causing JHC to tip the ball backward instead of forward. Back and to the left, back and to the left. Bama also had Rashaan Evans posted on the concrete knoll (recruit section), who supposedly was posing as an AU recruit. He was supposed to turn on the fog machine at the snap to distract Louis but a suspicious GA stopped him. Evans was later seen pretending to celebrate the AU victory, even rushing the field to throw folks off. Gus called to share this and to get my opinion. We decided to let it go since we won out in the end. When Richt found out he just conceded that he was outsmarted. He asked if he let AU have Tray would we keep it quiet. Now that it has happened nothing he can do about me being the one who told.

I am going to spill the beans now that it has come full circle. I heard that Tray and Ricardo planned this when AU was recruiting Tray in HS. JHC was paid by Saban/Danny Sheridan to foil the plot in order to dash AU's hopes prior to the IB. Gus found out about the Sheridan plot and had Nick put a reverse spin on his pass. Thereby causing JHC to tip the ball backward instead of forward. Back and to the left, back and to the left. Bama also had Rashaan Evans posted on the concrete knoll (recruit section), who supposedly was posing as an AU recruit. He was supposed to turn on the fog machine at the snap to distract Louis but a suspicious GA stopped him. Evans was later seen pretending to celebrate the AU victory, even rushing the field to throw folks off. Gus called to share this and to get my opinion. We decided to let it go since we won out in the end. When Richt found out he just conceded that he was outsmarted. He asked if he let AU have Tray would we keep it quiet. Now that it has happened nothing he can do about me being the one who told.

Dixie, that is a whooper.

Bond, James Bond.

The sad part is that there are some out there (tin foil hat people) that probably believe this whole story.

The sad part is that there are some out there (tin foul hat people) that probably believe this whole story.

Autocorrect is out to get us.

Only thing missing was something about espn.

Only thing missing was something about espn.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

While anecdotal, batted balls can end up just as poorly.

I'm amazed we've carried this whole thing on about the batted ball on as long as we have, but even had he been playing for AU I wouldn't have blamed him. I know batting it down is safer, but it wasn't his fault it got tipped like it did. He was in the right position the entire way.

Archived