2013 4* S Tray Matthews (Georgia signee & transferred to AU)

Rednilla

God says to forgive others so you can be forgiven. Glad we can give Trey an opportunity to earn a spot . I know I have made plenty of mistakes .

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many years will Trey Have to play?

:Sing:

Actually, I'm a little unclear on this myself, having read E's responses multiple times.

E, are you suggesting that if he walks on next year, then UGA's power to block the transfer goes away and he can play 3 starting next year, while if he goes on scholly at Auburn, he can play three starting next season (but only if Richt releases him), or he can play 2 starting in 2016 (if Richt doesn't release him)? Or is it that if he walks on next year he can play 3 starting in 2016?

TYIA

I side with CGM & those on this board who believe in 2nd chances. If there are no 2nd chances, then what motivation is there for any of us to grow up & get one's act together after an initial screw-up? Plus, some of the best folks to have around are those who've been humbled by circumstances & realized they're not "all that" (see Cam Newton). I'd also point out that CGM has been pretty clear that a 2nd chance is only an opportunity to "get it right this time." Those who fail to do so apparently find there are no 3rd chances. Here's hoping Matthews follows in the footsteps of people like Cam & Nick rather than Michael Dyer or Ricky Parks, 2 players who disprove any charge that CGM doesn't value discipline.

Will the official announcement have to wait until he enrolls at AU?

No. Gus can annouce anytime he want as long as all paperwork ix cleared, which I have been told it has FWIW.

Has Richt given him an official release to transfer anywhere?

He is no longer a part of the GA team, so he can go anywhere he pleases.

Incorrect. They still have the right to deny a kid from playing his first 2 years if he goes on scholly with the new school in year 1.

Understand, but since it is a given he will not be on scholly at AU in year 1, he is free to come if he chooses. If he were to have gone to Louisville & be put on scholly in year 1 then GA would have to grant his release.

Welcome to the Family Tray!! Just like any other family we have sane and insane members but we all love Auburn and want whats beast for or beloved team.War Eagle!

LOL... I love it. It's going to be so much fun watching these goobers peg the self-righteous indignation meter over here in GA.

WDE, Tray!

Tray, welcome to the Auburn family. I hope you find it as great as we all do. Pull it all together this year and then help us beat UGA and BAMA next year and the following 2 years!

As I mentioned before, I think it says a lot of Tray that he thought it best to not follow his 2 other teammates to Louisville and he is making his own way to AU. No GA fans can understand this, but it is a big deal and says something about Tray. I wish him all the luck in the world.

Understand, but since it is a given he will not be on scholly at AU in year 1, he is free to come if he chooses. If he were to have gone to Louisville & be put on scholly in year 1 then GA would have to grant his release.

While it is very, very, highly likely he walks on it is not a given. I have not checked since Tray tweet today but before then there has been no reports on whether Tray would walk on or not. There is still 1 open scholly under the 85 thanks to Trent Fisher leaving the team.

:Sing:

Actually, I'm a little unclear on this myself, having read E's responses multiple times.

E, are you suggesting that if he walks on next year, then UGA's power to block the transfer goes away and he can play 3 starting next year, while if he goes on scholly at Auburn, he can play three starting next season (but only if Richt releases him), or he can play 2 starting in 2016 (if Richt doesn't release him)? Or is it that if he walks on next year he can play 3 starting in 2016?

TYIA

I am unclear to what next year is to you so I will use years by number. If he walks on for 2 full terms in 2014-2015 academic year then a UGA release is not needed and he will have 3 to play 3 starting in the 2015 football season. If he goes on scholly in year 1 (2014-2015 academic calender) then he would need a release from UGA to AU to have that same 3 to play 3 beginning in the 2015 season. If he goes on scholly but does not get a release from UGA to AU then he has to sit 2 football seasons and will have 2 to play 2 starting the 2016 football season.

Update: According to the UGA Rivals site, Tray will go on scholarship immediately but sit out the 2014 season. He will then have three years to play three.

I'm seeing on Twitter that he's got a full scholly... anyone confirm or deny?

@RichDawg38: Hey #auburn fans love to know who is paying for @Trigga_Tray28 tuition this year. #bagman ??? Full ride sir by the grace of God

Free per Kipp Adams posted on AUC Link

Former Georgia safety Tray Matthews announced Saturday his intentions to transfer to Auburn. With numbers tight, there were questions as to whether or not Matthews would have to pay his own way and walk-on in 2014, but that does not appear to be the case. 247Sports confirmed on Saturday that Auburn has given Matthews a full scholarship, and that he will sit out the 2014 season, as per the SEC and NCAA transfer rules, and be ready to play in 2015 with three years of eligibility remaining.

If TM is on scholarship for the 2014/2015 academic year, will he count against the 2014 recruiting class, 2015 recruiting class, or not count against any recruiting class?

If TM is on scholarship for the 2014/2015 academic year, will he count against the 2014 recruiting class, 2015 recruiting class, or not count against any recruiting class?

My understanding is he counts to the 2014 class just as incoming Freshmen or jucos would that enroll for the second Summer term that come in on scholly. Mikey correct me if I'm wrong on the class but I am 100% as the rules are now he does count to a 25 Initial Counter limit whether it be 2014 or 2015.

So once again something actually happening that in the beginning if you had a question about it, it was never going to happen and you were stupid to even question the possibility that it MIGHT happen...

So once again something actually happening that in the beginning if you had a question about it, it was never going to happen and you were stupid to even question the possibility that it MIGHT happen...

Before I react, was this post meant for me or the board as a whole for how some reacted about Tray to AU?

Archived