Roc Thomas

WarEagle1982

IMO, there's no way that CAP isn't the #1 RB this year. Already knows the offense and has the experience and the talent. But I, like many others, wonder about his ball security. Either way, I'd say we have a top 10 RB depth chart.

There's already been solid statistical evidence presented that ball security isn't a problem for Artis-payne. He fumbled ONE time all season last year (91 carries). I have no idea where this ridiculous unfounded concern comes from. Stats don't support it.

Something that I thought about when that was posted, but didn't mention...how many of the fumbles attributed to Marshall were really his fault? Is it possible that the error causing three or four fumbled exchanges were actually CAP's instead of Nick's?

I honestly don't know the question there, but it's worth pondering.

Actually, after I posted that I went back and looked. I don't know why it seems like he fumbled more than he did. The only one I actually remember was the Ole Miss game. Made a really nice run and lost it. My mistake everybody.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Corey a lot, and I expect more from him this year, but there's no way he's as physicals runner as CAP. Not based on anything we've seen to this point.

I haven't seen anything to this point to suggest Corey isn't just as physical of a runner as CAP.

It seems like I remember Corey running over a Georgia defender on his way to a TD. The defensive player hit him square in the thighs and it didn't even alter Corey's path on his way to the endzone. Corey is a tough runner.

I like Corey a lot, and I expect more from him this year, but there's no way he's as physicals runner as CAP. Not based on anything we've seen to this point.

I haven't seen anything to this point to suggest Corey isn't just as physical of a runner as CAP.

It seems like I remember Corey running over a Georgia defender on his way to a TD. The defensive player hit him square in the thighs and it didn't even alter Corey's path on his way to the endzone. Corey is a tough runner.

Yep.

Honestly, I expect either Corey or CAP to take over the main back role by game 3 or 4 (in fact, lead back will likely emerge in Manhattan, KS).

If CAP takes the main role, then I expect Corey to continue to dominate the 'speed back' role.

If Cory earns the job, then I expect to see even more of Roc in the 'speed back' role.

Definitely think Roc plays this season, though.

Absolutely, he was a different back by the end of the season.

McLoofus, really? I haven't looked at the numbers but I'd bet Corey, on fewer carries, had more negative plays than CAP last year. Just watching the two guys the last two springs it seems obvious to me which one feels more natural between the tackles. Maybe Corey learns it and gets the feel. I'm just surprised that people think he's already shown physicality and aptitude between the tackles.

On the UGA run, that was a Safety in space. It's a different ask to roll off contact by a DT and pick up two extra yards to stay ahead of the sticks. Both are important but I find it's harder to do the latter than the former.

McLoofus, really? I haven't looked at the numbers but I'd bet Corey, on fewer carries, had more negative plays than CAP last year. Just watching the two guys the last two springs it seems obvious to me which one feels more natural between the tackles. Maybe Corey learns it and gets the feel. I'm just surprised that people think he's already shown physicality and aptitude between the tackles.

On the UGA run, that was a Safety in space. It's a different ask to roll off contact by a DT and pick up two extra yards to stay ahead of the sticks. Both are important but I find it's harder to do the latter than the former.

No, I'm just making stuff up to pass the time.

This is dumb. Back to Roc.

Aren't we all? Honestly, I tend to click the starred threads if the conversation heats up. I forgot this was "Roc Thomas" thread.

It's not fair to compare negative yardage given that someone primarily trying to get to the corner does not have the same forward momentum as someone running between the tackles. I'll bet Tre was more apt to get negative yardage running wide than up the middle.

It's not fair to compare negative yardage given that someone primarily trying to get to the corner does not have the same forward momentum as someone running between the tackles. I'll bet Tre was more apt to get negative yardage running wide than up the middle.

Was going to make that point, also.

We'll see what happens this season. Corey might get used the exact same way as last year, and that would mean good things are happening elsewhere on the field, and that would be fine with me. I just hope Auburn fans don't act surprised if and when he proves capable of being a very good every-down back, just like they did with Tre (and Ben Tate, for other reasons).

Circling back to Roc, this conversation should be even more fun next year!

I promise I'm interested in Roc, but were people really shocked that Tre and Ben were good? Tre was clearly our best offensive player in 2012. We just refused to give him the ball in the fourth. I mean, it was strange enough that he was asked about his lack of second half touches in post-game interviews on multiple occasions. Loeffler was a moron, but Tre was always good. Ben was a bit of a surprise, but that's only because people overrated Mario Fannin.

For me, Corey as an every down back would be more surprising than either of those guys.

As for Roc, the thing that strikes me is that he may give a wrinkle as a pass-catcher. That's something we haven't seen from Corey or CAP (or Tre, really), but it's certainly been a part of Gus' offense in the past. Fannin played that hybrid slot/H-back/TB role in 2009: 34 carries and 42 receptions. For people that know him and his game better, is that a role Roc could play? I don't expect him to be a blocker on Fannin's level, but we really didn't have a sort of Swiss-army-knife chess piece on the field last year.

I promise I'm interested in Roc, but were people really shocked that Tre and Ben were good? Tre was clearly our best offensive player in 2012. We just refused to give him the ball in the fourth. I mean, it was strange enough that he was asked about his lack of second half touches in post-game interviews on multiple occasions. Loeffler was a moron, but Tre was always good. Ben was a bit of a surprise, but that's only because people overrated Mario Fannin.

For me, Corey as an every down back would be more surprising than either of those guys.

As for Roc, the thing that strikes me is that he may give a wrinkle as a pass-catcher. That's something we haven't seen from Corey or CAP (or Tre, really), but it's certainly been a part of Gus' offense in the past. Fannin played that hybrid slot/H-back/TB role in 2009: 34 carries and 42 receptions. For people that know him and his game better, is that a role Roc could play? I don't expect him to be a blocker on Fannin's level, but we really didn't have a sort of Swiss-army-knife chess piece on the field last year.

People- neither of us, evidently- were ecstatic that CAP had arrived before the 2013 season to save us from only having a "small"/"scat"/"speed" back in Tre. After Tre had proven (again) that he was a very gifted, durable back by the middle of the season, many were still claiming that he wasn't an NFL back and that they wished CAP would carry the ball more. Ben Tate was the best high school RB in Maryland history. He is the physical prototype that many around here are always clamoring for. How his success at RBU would surprise anybody simply does not compute. Folks heard the scouting report on Mario and never bothered to look at what Ben was accomplishing on the field. Halfway through Ben's senior season, folks were still saying that Mario was "obviously the more dynamic back".

Corey caught a lot of passes in high school. Not sure about Roc, though. Also curious to hear from the more knowledgeable folks. I'd forgotten how many passes Mario caught in 2009, and haven't really thought about our RBs/HBs as serious pass catchers since. Good stat, thank you for the reminder.

Yep.

Honestly, I expect either Corey or CAP to take over the main back role by game 3 or 4 (in fact, lead back will likely emerge in Manhattan, KS).

If CAP takes the main role, then I expect Corey to continue to dominate the 'speed back' role.

If Cory earns the job, then I expect to see even more of Roc in the 'speed back' role.

Do not forget about Truitt. There is a decent chance he will see time in the speed back role.

Yep.

Do not forget about Truitt. There is a decent chance he will see time in the speed back role.

I'm guessing Gus is trying hard to contain his mad scientist laugh whenever he considers the possibilities with the players we have now.

Yep.

I'm guessing Gus is trying hard to contain his mad scientist laugh whenever he considers the possibilities with the players we have now.

And Truitt can throw the ball. He played QB in high school. Jet sweep pass.

Roc is going to a stud RB for us by the time his playing days at Auburn are done.

/thread

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

For the record, I think the odds are against Grant being the primary back (not heavily against, just more likely to go in another direction), I was just trying to get the point across that Corey isn't a scatback. The point of limiting his carries somewhat to keep the focus off of him, thereby making him all the more dangerous on misdirection plays and the like, is an exceedingly sound one, as well as the point about not knowing if he has the footwork and agility to weave through the blocks between the tackles as well as the other backs.

Someone made the point about Tre bursting through the line and then getting caught 10-15 yards downfield, whereas Corey wouldn't get caught like that, but that line of thought fails to take into account the ability to get through the pile with as much momentum moving toward a second/third level running lane as is needed to blow past the DBs in the SEC. Maybe he has it, and if he does, then there's solid argument for letting him get 20 carries a game.

In any case, more touches does also mean more opportunities for CG to get injured. Now, if he did, it's not as if we don't have other players to fill the gap, it's just that he has proven himself to be a weapon unlike any other on the team, so it would not be an insignificant blow.

This is why I say its too complicated an issue to say so definitively that he should remain in the speed back role OR that he should be the primary ball carrier, because it is very possible that either one could be what's best for the team. And I guarantee you that's what both he and the coaches want. That's the beauty of this offense: the ball gets spread around so much, everyone benefits from the success of everyone else. That fosters a great deal of unity...and it sure is a whole lot of fun to watch!

Grant's ability to occasionally cut it inside is what makes him so dangerous. It takes defenders a while to figure out who has the ball. Once they see Grant has it they expect him to sweep with it as he typically does. The 1 or 2 times he cuts inside will leave the defense with their drawers around their ankles.

And the zen master said "we'll see....."

This is why I say its too complicated an issue to say so definitively that he should remain in the speed back role OR that he should be the primary ball carrier, because it is very possible that either one could be what's best for the team. And I guarantee you that's what both he and the coaches want.

:thumbsup: x2

So remember that guy Roc Thomas that the thread was names after...

Do you know if he caught many passes in high school?

They're aren't any in any of his highlights. He caught one I believe in the UA game but he didn't do very well in that game. For him to be a 5 star RB and top 5 RB in the nation, I'd have to assume he's pretty good at catching passes.

completely agree with ironman70, i want cap and grant to do good enough to get drafted...whether roc plays this season or not, judging by that highlight film he WILL be our Premier back next season, i see the others like jovon and kerryon but man...i can see roc winning the heisman and walter camp next year!

Draft picks are always good for the program, but I want to win games most of all, and I think Roc will help us do that by toting the rock. CAP is a solid back, but he has yet to demonstrate that he is dynamic, I hope he does it this year, but in the SEC sometimes the ball carrier simply has to beat a few guys (even with good blocking).

Did you see the run in the SEC CG?? Enough said....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLNzGZeqmgg

Archived