Roc Thomas

WarEagle1982

Back to Roc. If you have not watched his HS highlight films please do. He is a special player. I can't wait to see him suit up for us.

^^^This.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, there's no way that CAP isn't the #1 RB this year. Already knows the offense and has the experience and the talent. But I, like many others, wonder about his ball security. Either way, I'd say we have a top 10 RB depth chart.

The only player with ball security issues last year was Marshall. CAP was solid.

IMO, there's no way that CAP isn't the #1 RB this year. Already knows the offense and has the experience and the talent. But I, like many others, wonder about his ball security. Either way, I'd say we have a top 10 RB depth chart.

There's already been solid statistical evidence presented that ball security isn't a problem for Artis-payne. He fumbled ONE time all season last year (91 carries). I have no idea where this ridiculous unfounded concern comes from. Stats don't support it.

I remember a similar discussion on Mario Fannin over Michael Dyer that didn't pan out like we all thought. I really like CAP but he needs to work on his ball control and finishing his runs. Every time he gets stood up at the end of his run, I'm terrified somebody will knock it out.

I remember a similar discussion on Mario Fannin over Michael Dyer that didn't pan out like we all thought. I really like CAP but he needs to work on his ball control and finishing his runs.

1 FUMBLE IN OVER 90 CARRIES. Good Lord.

Don't know who you think you are talking to with that attitude but my emphasis was on his finishing the runs. Tre, dyer, even Tate could work for that extra yard. Cap is our short yardage guy and he seems to get stood up like kodi used to when he ran. Just cause the legs are moving doesn't mean your making ground

OK. Going to bookmark this page and let's return to it in December and see how it is. Not saying its an issue but if he is going to be stood up and yanked around every play, he better work on it... good or bad, it changes if he becomes the every down back like everyone thinks.

completely agree with ironman70, i want cap and grant to do good enough to get drafted...whether roc plays this season or not, judging by that highlight film he WILL be our Premier back next season, i see the others like jovon and kerryon but man...i can see roc winning the heisman and walter camp next year!

Draft picks are always good for the program, but I want to win games most of all, and I think Roc will help us do that by toting the rock. CAP is a solid back, but he has yet to demonstrate that he is dynamic, I hope he does it this year, but in the SEC sometimes the ball carrier simply has to beat a few guys (even with good blocking).

yeah i see your point i would really like to see roc play this season but i think cap and grant are hungry, they want to end their senior years right, grant already said he doesn't want to be utilized just as a speed back, so hell get more carries, also you have to put barber into consideration seeing as he's already been with the team and got the offense down

Back to Roc. If you have not watched his HS highlight films please do. He is a special player. I can't wait to see him suit up for us.

exactly what i have been saying, that dude is a beast and could maybe resemble tre's numbers whenever he becomes the starter because he WILL become the starter eventually

I'm glad I was fortunate enough to live in oxford and got to see Roc live. Its truly a sight to see. Can't wait to see what he turns into after a little time in our weight room.

A UGA alum friend of mine whose son plays for Spain Park saw Roc in the playoffs last year. He said he may be the best RB out of high school he's ever seen. As I recall, Roc went for 400 +/- yds and 6 tds that game. If he stays healthy, he'll only be here three years. We may as well get three years of production out of him during his stay.

Grant is not the #2 back, he is a specialized role player. He will likely get a similar amount of carries as he did last year. CAP is a quality back, but I'm not sure how dynamic he truely is. Barber has apparently been real good behind closed doors and Roc is supposed to be ready to play as well. I would expect both Barber and Roc to have every opportunity to step up and grab a large amount of carries.

I would not be too sure of that. Although I expect CAP to start, Grant is up to 205 and could take on that role.

Yep. It sort of seems like Grant could take care of CAP's role, but not exactly the other way around. Yet we'll need to have Grant running some plays up the middle so teams can't simply predict he'll run to the outside. Does anyone know whether Grant can pass well enough to throw the ball back to Marshall?

IMO the advantage of using Grant like last year is that with 8 or so carries....he is always fresh and has less chance of getting dinged by some 325 pound DT. I would prefer to see 2013 rev 2.0 this year....just leave Grant where he was and move CAP to Tre's job and keep on truckin'

The thing is that we have plenty of players who could fill that speed sweep role. Roc could be utilized in that role as a way to ease him into action on the offensive side while utilizing Corey's experience for a more substantial role. Or Ricardo Louis (198 yards on 19 carries last season), Marcus Davis, Quan Bray, Stanton Truitt, even Jonathan Ford flipping back over from defense...they all have the capacity for filling that role.

Quite honestly, Corey is about the same size as Tre, so it's not as if he's a scatback. I strongly suspect we will see him in the featured role for some amount of time this year, though I rather doubt he will be the primary featured back.

As with Omac, I don't understand the constant desire to make CG something he isn't. He is perfect for the role he played last year. I expect him to remain in that role with a few added responsibilities. With CAP, Barber, and Roc all competing for carries at tailback, it makes sense for CG to remain where he is already excelling.

Uh...OMac weighed a good 30 pounds less than Grant. It's not a matter of making him something he isn't, it's a matter of maximizing his ability to help the football team. If Auburn would be best served to leave him in the speed sweep type of role, that's where he should be. Then again, he might well be the biggest home run threat on the roster, and 15-20 shots at finding a lane and nobody catching him is twice as good as 7-10, wouldn't you think?

Of course it isn't that simple, and to be completely honest, I don't expect him to be the primary ball carrier. However, he is NOT Onterrio McCalebb, and he CAN run between the tackles and come out the other side at a pace that no one will catch him. That's why I find it so irritating that some are so stuck on his inability to do anything more than what OMac did.

There's already been solid statistical evidence presented that ball security isn't a problem for Artis-payne. He fumbled ONE time all season last year (91 carries). I have no idea where this ridiculous unfounded concern comes from. Stats don't support it.

Something that I thought about when that was posted, but didn't mention...how many of the fumbles attributed to Marshall were really his fault? Is it possible that the error causing three or four fumbled exchanges were actually CAP's instead of Nick's?

I honestly don't know the question there, but it's worth pondering.

Most think we will be more balanced, with Marshall improved and stronger receivers. It would be great to have a featured back that is both a dynamic runner and strong blocker. I am very excited about Roc's future. Does anyone know if he had to block much in high school?

Grant is not the #2 back, he is a specialized role player. He will likely get a similar amount of carries as he did last year. CAP is a quality back, but I'm not sure how dynamic he truely is. Barber has apparently been real good behind closed doors and Roc is supposed to be ready to play as well. I would expect both Barber and Roc to have every opportunity to step up and grab a large amount of carries.

I would not be too sure of that. Although I expect CAP to start, Grant is up to 205 and could take on that role.

Yep. It sort of seems like Grant could take care of CAP's role, but not exactly the other way around. Yet we'll need to have Grant running some plays up the middle so teams can't simply predict he'll run to the outside. Does anyone know whether Grant can pass well enough to throw the ball back to Marshall?

IMO the advantage of using Grant like last year is that with 8 or so carries....he is always fresh and has less chance of getting dinged by some 325 pound DT. I would prefer to see 2013 rev 2.0 this year....just leave Grant where he was and move CAP to Tre's job and keep on truckin'

The thing is that we have plenty of players who could fill that speed sweep role. Roc could be utilized in that role as a way to ease him into action on the offensive side while utilizing Corey's experience for a more substantial role. Or Ricardo Louis (198 yards on 19 carries last season), Marcus Davis, Quan Bray, Stanton Truitt, even Jonathan Ford flipping back over from defense...they all have the capacity for filling that role.

Quite honestly, Corey is about the same size as Tre, so it's not as if he's a scatback. I strongly suspect we will see him in the featured role for some amount of time this year, though I rather doubt he will be the primary featured back.

As with Omac, I don't understand the constant desire to make CG something he isn't. He is perfect for the role he played last year. I expect him to remain in that role with a few added responsibilities. With CAP, Barber, and Roc all competing for carries at tailback, it makes sense for CG to remain where he is already excelling.

Uh...OMac weighed a good 30 pounds less than Grant. It's not a matter of making him something he isn't, it's a matter of maximizing his ability to help the football team. If Auburn would be best served to leave him in the speed sweep type of role, that's where he should be. Then again, he might well be the biggest home run threat on the roster, and 15-20 shots at finding a lane and nobody catching him is twice as good as 7-10, wouldn't you think?

Of course it isn't that simple, and to be completely honest, I don't expect him to be the primary ball carrier. However, he is NOT Onterrio McCalebb, and he CAN run between the tackles and come out the other side at a pace that no one will catch him. That's why I find it so irritating that some are so stuck on his inability to do anything more than what OMac did.

Thank you thank you thank you. I guess nobody noticed him bouncing off of tacklers last year (something McCalebb never did).

Grant has the size and strength to run inside if he needs to. He did it last year on some carries.

Remember some of those runs by Mason up the middle where he would gain 10-12 yds and then get caught? On those same runs nobody would catch Grant.

I think Grant is very underrated. He has to put serious fear into opposing coaches. He reminds me of James Brooks. Once he was past the first line of defense, it was "watch out!". Grant was a terrific get from BAMA. So glad he is on our team!

Heavily agreeing with Red, Metal and JFD in the previous posts.

Question to those who insist that Grant needs to stay where he is and isn't an every down back: what do Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, LeSean McCoy, Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson and Tre Mason all have in common? They're all the same size or smaller than Corey Grant and, with the possible exception of Chris Johnson, they're all slower than him, too.

Btw, CAP, who so many assume to be a "bruiser" or "power back", is listed at a whopping 5 lbs heavier than Grant, and Grant is widely reported to be the pound-for-pound strongest guy on the team.

It's not size. For example, one play against UT excepted, Cadillac was the better interior banger between he and Ronnie. Obviously he was the smaller guy, but he was the more physical runner. I like Corey a lot, and I expect more from him this year, but there's no way he's as physicals runner as CAP. Not based on anything we've seen to this point.

Corey is big enough and obviously fast enough. I question his agility in the hole and his balance after contact. That's what made guys like Emmitt and Barry and Tre. Corey hasn't shown the ability to churn out 5-10 yards in a phone booth. Tre could. Routinely. Corey has shown truly amazing ability in space. Although I think he'll get more touches between the tackles, I believe CAP will be the primary guy for his shiftiness in a he and his toughness at the point of attack.

Maybe Corey prices me wrong. That would tickle me pink.

It's not size. For example, one play against UT excepted, Cadillac was the better interior banger between he and Ronnie. Obviously he was the smaller guy, but he was the more physical runner. I like Corey a lot, and I expect more from him this year, but there's no way he's as physicals runner as CAP. Not based on anything we've seen to this point.

Corey is big enough and obviously fast enough. I question his agility in the hole and his balance after contact. That's what made guys like Emmitt and Barry and Tre. Corey hasn't shown the ability to churn out 5-10 yards in a phone booth. Tre could. Routinely. Corey has shown truly amazing ability in space. Although I think he'll get more touches between the tackles, I believe CAP will be the primary guy for his shiftiness in a he and his toughness at the point of attack.

Maybe Corey will price you wrong, but I price your comment to be spot-on.

Maybe Corey will price you wrong, but I price your comment to be spot-on.

I am in complete agreement.

Little Lionel threw a HUGE block on an onrushing defender that had 80 lbs on him to spring Bo for the winning TD vs FSU in '83.

I like Corey a lot, and I expect more from him this year, but there's no way he's as physicals runner as CAP. Not based on anything we've seen to this point.

I haven't seen anything to this point to suggest Corey isn't just as physical of a runner as CAP.

Heavily agreeing with Red, Metal and JFD in the previous posts.

Question to those who insist that Grant needs to stay where he is and isn't an every down back: what do Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, LeSean McCoy, Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson and Tre Mason all have in common? They're all the same size or smaller than Corey Grant and, with the possible exception of Chris Johnson, they're all slower than him, too.

Btw, CAP, who so many assume to be a "bruiser" or "power back", is listed at a whopping 5 lbs heavier than Grant, and Grant is widely reported to be the pound-for-pound strongest guy on the team.

First, by comparing him to Omac, I wasn't saying Grant had the same ability as Omac, just that he was in the same role in the offense and folks were always talking about getting him more touches. More touches isn't always a good thing. Second, advocating him to stay in the role he has been excelling at with some added responsibilities, isn't saying he can't run between the tackles, it is saying that I think we have better options to run between the tackles.

Let Grant take 20 touches between the tackles and get nicked up, and we lose his production on the outside. There is no need for that when we have plenty of options to handle the between the tackles touches.

Archived