Roc Thomas

WarEagle1982

You're probably thinking of Blakely. Posters have confused the two before.

Blakely or Mario Fumbling Fannin. Fannin could've been so good If he didn't fumble all the time.

Mario Fannin was an absolute beast when he did things right. If he could have just held on to the ball he could have made the all-time list at Auburn.

You serious?

Yeah dude.

True. On the edge of greatness.

With all due respect... Mario literally played his entire career at Auburn with one arm. He had 2 shoulder surgeries on his left arm. This contributed to his fumble problem.

He was finally 100% his senior season in 2010. Then, during the MSU game (2nd game of the season) he separated his shoulder again. Mario played the rest of the season hurt... couldn't secure the ball with his left arm.

Not sure if anyone knows this, but in 2011 at Denver's training camp, Mario was on track to making the roster... and on track to steal carries from Knowshon Merano. He was out performing every running back there! Remember, Mario is a legit 4.3 guy. He was splitting reps with the 1's when he tore his ACL. Season done, basically career done.

Had Mario been truly 100% healthy at AU, no doubt he could've been one the greats.

I remember how fast Mario was for his size. He could motor. He looked the part really well. Sorry for his injuries.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I just watched the highlight reels of a 5* RB in the 2016 class over in the Recruiting forum. Not linking or providing a name, because this is about Roc and not the other kid. Anyway, this kid's film is really impressive- he is a 5*, after all- but it doesn't touch Roc's IMO. I'm on record on this forum as saying that Roc would RS this season, but y'all have swayed me over the last few months, and the film, man... the film.

So I just watched the highlight reels of a 5* RB in the 2016 class over in the Recruiting forum. Not linking or providing a name, because this is about Roc and not the other kid. Anyway, this kid's film is really impressive- he is a 5*, after all- but it doesn't touch Roc's IMO. I'm on record on this forum as saying that Roc would RS this season, but y'all have swayed me over the last few months, and the film, man... the film.

I know what you mean. He deserves a bump to 6*!

That's funny, I did the same thing. I've always been a fan of Roc but at the end of last season I was say I don't think Roc will play and all that flashyness in his highlight reel wasn't going to work in college. But as the season approaches my feeling that he might be a contributer this year strengthens. I don't know if the spring game has anything to do with that or if I've lost my feel for college play in the off season. Peyton going down showed me how thin we are at RB and Artis-Payne left something to be desired in the locker room that day. It being a spring game maybe he wasn't running that hard but in my mind Payne was better than what he showed in the A-day game.

That's funny, I did the same thing. I've always been a fan of Roc but at the end of last season I was say I don't think Roc will play and all that flashyness in his highlight reel wasn't going to work in college. But as the season approaches my feeling that he might be a contributer this year strengthens. I don't know if the spring game has anything to do with that or if I've lost my feel for college play in the off season. Peyton going down showed me how thin we are at RB and Artis-Payne left something to be desired in the locker room that day. It being a spring game maybe he wasn't running that hard but in my mind Payne was better than what he showed in the A-day game.

You have to also think that the threat of Marshall running didnt exist. Easier to focus on one guy, which basically takes away a key component of this offense.

Looking at Roc's film, I'd put him on par with Cadillac coming out of high school. That's high praise. At the same time, it took till mid-season before Cadillac was ready to take on the bulk of the carries, and he physically broke down before the end of the season (whether he was over-used or not). I'd also point out the options on the team at that time: Ronnie Brown well before any real breakout and Casinious Moore. Moore took the bulk of the carries until the Arkansas game that year and finished with only 9 fewer carries on the year.

All that to say, Cadillac was amazing out of high school, and even he needed time to sit behind Casinious Moore before he was ready to star. Roc is coming into a team that has better options than Moore or 2001 Ronnie Brown. Roc looks special, which makes me suspect he's going to contribute in a very meaningful way before the end of the year. I just don't expect that to happen before the half-way point, at the earliest.

Looking at Roc's film, I'd put him on par with Cadillac coming out of high school. That's high praise. At the same time, it took till mid-season before Cadillac was ready to take on the bulk of the carries, and he physically broke down before the end of the season (whether he was over-used or not). I'd also point out the options on the team at that time: Ronnie Brown well before any real breakout and Casinious Moore. Moore took the bulk of the carries until the Arkansas game that year and finished with only 9 fewer carries on the year.

All that to say, Cadillac was amazing out of high school, and even he needed time to sit behind Casinious Moore before he was ready to star. Roc is coming into a team that has better options than Moore or 2001 Ronnie Brown. Roc looks special, which makes me suspect he's going to contribute in a very meaningful way before the end of the year. I just don't expect that to happen before the half-way point, at the earliest.

whatever happened to cassinius moore! Couple games I thought he was going to be a great back but then he just fell off the map.

I just never saw what y'all saw. I do remember Mario blowing it up in Denver and I was absolutely shocked. I'll take yalls word that he really was that close to breaking out.

In 2009 he was behind Ben Tate obviously, but when he got the ball he looked very good. In 2010, he was the heir apparent, but his fumbling issues resulted in Mike Dyer taking over about half way through the season. Even then, Dyer wasn't really ready and if you remember Gus brought Fannin in to pass block throughout the season, because Dyer hadn't picked it up yet. Fannin was an all around back. He was built like an ox, but extremely fast too. He was our best pass blocker in the backfield, and our best receiver out of the backfield (better than Eric Smith). If Fannin could have just held on to the ball, Dyer would have been nothing more than fresh legs in the 4th quarter.

always thought fannin was a dominating pass blocker. Add his receiving abilities ... And speed in the return game ... I had hoped he would heal and have a prosperous pro career

As awful as it is, the main memory I have of Fannin was the play against Arkansas (2009 maybe) when he caught that little bubble screen and got absolutely planted by the Ark DB. Still makes me cringe to think about it.

I think Gus would be foolish to let a talent like Roc sit on the bench for a year...that just doesn't happen these days. Freshmen get meaningful snaps all over the country and make big time contributions. I don't think he should carry the load from day one, but they've got to find a role for him.

Grant is not the #2 back, he is a specialized role player. He will likely get a similar amount of carries as he did last year. CAP is a quality back, but I'm not sure how dynamic he truely is. Barber has apparently been real good behind closed doors and Roc is supposed to be ready to play as well. I would expect both Barber and Roc to have every opportunity to step up and grab a large amount of carries.

I would not be too sure of that. Although I expect CAP to start, Grant is up to 205 and could take on that role.

The difference between these two is first steps. CAP is a little better at the first step or two with power, but Grant can go from 0 to 20 in less than 4 seconds.

Corey is OMac fast with a bigger frame.

Grant is not the #2 back, he is a specialized role player. He will likely get a similar amount of carries as he did last year. CAP is a quality back, but I'm not sure how dynamic he truely is. Barber has apparently been real good behind closed doors and Roc is supposed to be ready to play as well. I would expect both Barber and Roc to have every opportunity to step up and grab a large amount of carries.

I would not be too sure of that. Although I expect CAP to start, Grant is up to 205 and could take on that role.

Yep. It sort of seems like Grant could take care of CAP's role, but not exactly the other way around. Yet we'll need to have Grant running some plays up the middle so teams can't simply predict he'll run to the outside. Does anyone know whether Grant can pass well enough to throw the ball back to Marshall?

Yep. It sort of seems like Grant could take care of CAP's role, but not exactly the other way around. Yet we'll need to have Grant running some plays up the middle so teams can't simply predict he'll run to the outside. Does anyone know whether Grant can pass well enough to throw the ball back to Marshall?

IMO the advantage of using Grant like last year is that with 8 or so carries....he is always fresh and has less chance of getting dinged by some 325 pound DT. I would prefer to see 2013 rev 2.0 this year....just leave Grant where he was and move CAP to Tre's job and keep on truckin'

IMO the advantage of using Grant like last year is that with 8 or so carries....he is always fresh and has less chance of getting dinged by some 325 pound DT. I would prefer to see 2013 rev 2.0 this year....just leave Grant where he was and move CAP to Tre's job and keep on truckin'

Yeah, I see that side of the argument, too. But I'm still in favor of splitting carries between Grant, CAP, and Barber fairly evenly at the beginning of the season, at least. I also hope we see a package for Roc.

As awful as it is, the main memory I have of Fannin was the play against Arkansas (2009 maybe) when he caught that little bubble screen and got absolutely planted by the Ark DB. Still makes me cringe to think about it.

I think Gus would be foolish to let a talent like Roc sit on the bench for a year...that just doesn't happen these days. Freshmen get meaningful snaps all over the country and make big time contributions. I don't think he should carry the load from day one, but they've got to find a role for him.

Gus has shown a willingness to play true freshman. He plays the best talent. There is no reason to have the talent sit. On defense last year, Lawson, Daniel, and Adams all played big time minutes. The key to seeing time as a RB, is to learn and focus hard on the blocking assignments.

The thing is that we have plenty of players who could fill that speed sweep role. Roc could be utilized in that role as a way to ease him into action on the offensive side while utilizing Corey's experience for a more substantial role. Or Ricardo Louis (198 yards on 19 carries last season), Marcus Davis, Quan Bray, Stanton Truitt, even Jonathan Ford flipping back over from defense...they all have the capacity for filling that role.

Quite honestly, Corey is about the same size as Tre, so it's not as if he's a scatback. I strongly suspect we will see him in the featured role for some amount of time this year, though I rather doubt he will be the primary featured back.

Roc will not RS.

I agree, he will have some roll. CAP, Grant and Barber know the offense and will carry the load I think. I am hoping the 2 Seniors get enough production so they both get drafted. It's good for the program.

The thing is that we have plenty of players who could fill that speed sweep role. Roc could be utilized in that role as a way to ease him into action on the offensive side while utilizing Corey's experience for a more substantial role. Or Ricardo Louis (198 yards on 19 carries last season), Marcus Davis, Quan Bray, Stanton Truitt, even Jonathan Ford flipping back over from defense...they all have the capacity for filling that role.

Quite honestly, Corey is about the same size as Tre, so it's not as if he's a scatback. I strongly suspect we will see him in the featured role for some amount of time this year, though I rather doubt he will be the primary featured back.

As with Omac, I don't understand the constant desire to make CG something he isn't. He is perfect for the role he played last year. I expect him to remain in that role with a few added responsibilities. With CAP, Barber, and Roc all competing for carries at tailback, it makes sense for CG to remain where he is already excelling.

Anybody know how Grant's touches compared with De'Anthony Thomas' of Oregon the past 2 years? He seemed to get a ton of press, and his highlights are sick. But I think Corey Grant could be just as good, and probably better if given the same opportunities.

I love Corey. He matches Thomas as a runner, but he has never shown remotely similar ability in the passing game. Without that and without consistently serving as the lead return man, he's no DAT.

Grant (2013)

66 carries - 647 yards (9.8 ypc) - 6 TDs; 4 receptions - 8 yards; 5 returns - 160 yards (32 ypr) - 1 TD

Thomas (2011 - 2013)

55 carries - 595 yards (10.8) - 7 TDs; 46 receptions - 605 yards - 9 TDs; 36 returns - 983 yards (27.3 ypr) - 2 TDs

92 carries - 701 yards (7.6) - 11 TDs; 45 receptions - 445 yards - 5 TDs; 16 returns - 389 yards (24.3) - 1 TD

96 carries - 594 yards (6.2) - 8 TDs; 22 receptions - 246 yards - 1 TD; 21 returns - 513 yards (24.4) - 1 TD

Note: Thomas was injured in 2013, played only ten games, and was clearly limited in others. I would say DAT provides a word of caution on just giving a guy more touches. DAT's increased touches might have given diminishing returns.

completely agree with ironman70, i want cap and grant to do good enough to get drafted...whether roc plays this season or not, judging by that highlight film he WILL be our Premier back next season, i see the others like jovon and kerryon but man...i can see roc winning the heisman and walter camp next year!

completely agree with ironman70, i want cap and grant to do good enough to get drafted...whether roc plays this season or not, judging by that highlight film he WILL be our Premier back next season, i see the others like jovon and kerryon but man...i can see roc winning the heisman and walter camp next year!

Draft picks are always good for the program, but I want to win games most of all, and I think Roc will help us do that by toting the rock. CAP is a solid back, but he has yet to demonstrate that he is dynamic, I hope he does it this year, but in the SEC sometimes the ball carrier simply has to beat a few guys (even with good blocking).

IMO, there's no way that CAP isn't the #1 RB this year. Already knows the offense and has the experience and the talent. But I, like many others, wonder about his ball security. Either way, I'd say we have a top 10 RB depth chart.

Back to Roc. If you have not watched his HS highlight films please do. He is a special player. I can't wait to see him suit up for us.

Archived