Roc Thomas

WarEagle1982

While I know everyone wants to see Roc make an impact this year, my thought is "why rush it?". We get 3 years (4 if we're lucky) out of this guy. Do we really want one of those years to be spent doing just mop up duty? We have 3 capable running backs and Pat Lymon can come in during mop up duty. I'd say we save him and utilize him next year when we really need him.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I know everyone wants to see Roc make an impact this year, my thought is "why rush it?". We get 3 years (4 if we're lucky) out of this guy. Do we really want one of those years to be spent doing just mop up duty? We have 3 capable running backs and Pat Lymon can come in during mop up duty. I'd say we save him and utilize him next year when we really need him.

Playing him this year will pa dividends down the road and wouldn't be rushing it, IMO. Roc needs to see real action.

If Peyton is as good as Tre Mason says he is, watch out. I am very eager to see him play.

If he's as good as we hope he is, we would only get 2 years if we redshirt him. Players can declare for the NFL draft 3 years out of HS, regardless of how much they play. Greg Robinson was a RS sophomore last year. Given the limited career span of an NFL RB, it make sense to make as big an impact as possible with limited playing time. Spending a year primarily on special teams could accomplish that.

With Jovon Robinson and Barber in the backfield next year, we may not "really need him" then either.

If he's as good as we hope he is, we would only get 2 years if we redshirt him. Players can declare for the NFL draft 3 years out of HS, regardless of how much they play. Greg Robinson was a RS sophomore last year. Given the limited career span of an NFL RB, it make sense to make as big an impact as possible with limited playing time. Spending a year primarily on special teams could accomplish that.

With Jovon Robinson and Barber in the backfield next year, we may not "really need him" then either.

I hadn't thought about him being able to declare at the same time anyways. Next year he would definitely be a big asset no matter who's in the backfield. A year of maturity, playbook study, and weight lifting and I think we'll see a huge difference. I think we'll be relying on our running game more next year, at least early on, since we'll be starting a new QB and most likely be losing our two top receivers.

you contradict yourself.

you contradict yourself.

Not following you. I suggested that while we have 3 capable backs (2 of which are seniors), we redshirt him and give him a year to develop so we can utilize him next year when we'll only have one returning running back. Now to caveat off of that, I didn't take into account that he can still leave at the same time whether he redshirts or not, so I retracted my point and said he should be utilized some this year. Might as well if we get him for the same amount of time no matter what. But he will be of much greater use next year when we'll have lost our top 2 receivers, our quarterback, and two senior running backs. So I didn't contradict myself, just hadn't taken something into account. But thanks for bringing that to my attention haha

But why redshirt him? Redshirting has become almost useless these days for the top guys. He has 2 good seasons and then he's eligible for the draft as a RS soph, I rather have 3 years of him seeing action. All the game experience he can get will be beneficial

Edit: Sorry didn't see the post above me ;D

you contradict yourself.

Not following you. I suggested that while we have 3 capable backs (2 of which are seniors), we redshirt him and give him a year to develop so we can utilize him next year when we'll only have one returning running back. Now to caveat off of that, I didn't take into account that he can still leave at the same time whether he redshirts or not, so I retracted my point and said he should be utilized some this year. Might as well if we get him for the same amount of time no matter what. But he will be of much greater use next year when we'll have lost our top 2 receivers, our quarterback, and two senior running backs. So I didn't contradict myself, just hadn't taken something into account. But thanks for bringing that to my attention haha

you never know both top wr's could come back.(fingers crossed)

the only reason we RS Thomas is if we dont think he's a 3 years and done guy. I seem to think our staff thinks so. Most major programs want to get 3 years out of these guys. I'd be shocked if he shirted barring injury.

you contradict yourself.

I hope they don't! Because that'll mean they killed it this year haha. WDE

you contradict yourself.

I hope they don't! Because that'll mean they killed it this year haha. WDE

true lol but can they kill it this year and next year...ah..wishful thinking

you contradict yourself.

i missed your retraction.

you contradict yourself.

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't know I had to explain all my posts to you. Excuse me while I continue to not care what you missed.

Give Roc Tre's #.21 or #9. I still feel #2 should be retied and #43 should go to Jalen Harris. Retire Philips number after Jalen has moved on to the NFL.

WhoTF is Jalen Harris, and why do you think he's going to the NFL?

I know a4e makes some crazy posts sometimes (message me if you want my personal opinion on the whole thing), but he does know Auburn football pretty well. Obviously better than you.

"Everybody jump on the new guy."

You've been here for two years...

Funniest post in that little back and forth

you contradict yourself.

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't know I had to explain all my posts to you. Excuse me while I continue to not care what you missed.

KMA

If fall camp goes well for Roc and he is able to maintain with the flow of the offense, he WILL get some touches. I do know that there is no way he redshirts, of course considering he stays healthy. I saw him play a number of times and he is college ready by my eye. Malzahn is going to put him in the game at some point and I see no reason we shouldn't get him ready for future years. He can pull out anything to get away from the would be tackler....especially that spin move. Though his spin move was almost untouchable in high school, we'll see how that transitions to the college level. Our backfield maybe a little crowded this year, but isn't it just damn amazing to have studs waiting in line at running back.

I could see Sammie coming back, but if he has a season like he did last year, I have my doubts, seeing as he would be a fifth year senior. Duke, however, seems destined to be a one-and-done, barring injury, because NFL scouts are already drooling over him.

The good news, however, is that there is a plethora of talent behind those guys. Ricardo Louis and Jaylon Denson will be there to provide senior leadership, Tony Stevens has the size and speed to be a Coates-like weapon, Marcus Davis looked really good at times last year, Stanton Truitt appears ready to make an immediate impact as a true freshman, and Jason Smith is a pretty solid commit considering he signed with AU out of high school and, to my knowledge, has never wavered on his plans to play for AU.

the only reason we RS Thomas is if we dont think he's a 3 years and done guy. I seem to think our staff thinks so. Most major programs want to get 3 years out of these guys. I'd be shocked if he shirted barring injury.

Oh, I could see him sticking around for a fourth season, like Carnell Williams did, but I can't see him being a fifth year senior unless he gets hurt (knock on wood) and his career gets thrown off track.

Nevertheless, the end result is the same.

It's possible he could stay for another one. Best case for us. It definitely looks like a good season ahead, plus if fortune smiles upon us another year or two of greatness!

Archived