Question about New D-Linemen

AuburnNTexas

On the recruiting board there seems to be some trepidation concerning the fact we haven't had any announced commitments from D-Linemen.It seems to me that we have a large number of new faces this year, some as new freshman or transfer or red shirt or walk on. I am going to give a list of the ones I can think of and I would like somebody who knows talent say which ones they think will be able to help this year, which need another season to get ready for SEC football both physically and mentally. Please only address the ones you think will play at Auburn and how long you think it will take before they can help us.

Chase Robison

Andrew Williams

Dontavious Russell

Justin Thornton

Raashad Kennion

Aaron Garrison

Alec Brown

You forgot Jucos DeVonte Lambert and Devaroe Lawrence, both of which I think could make huge impacts this year (in particular Devonte)......

Right off the bat Andrew Williams. Kid is a straight monster. Devonte Lambert as well. I personally got to see Dontavious Russell play against my high school, he was manhandling our guys. I think Justin Thornton was pretty highly touted last year as well.

Williams, Russell and JUCO transfer Lambert should be ready to help this year. I think that will probably be it unless some rash of injuries forces Thornton into action.

None of them in any way substitute for having another great DL signing class next February. We won't "be fine" if we don't sign some great DL prospects. We've got four seniors that are big contributors leaving after this season and there isn't enough depth to handle the vacuum they will leave without signing some more DL guys.

Mikey is right, if we don't bring in any elite DL bodies this year, our depth for the upcoming years will be horrible at the position. A quality 2 deep at DL is huge in the SEC and we won a couple games last year because of it. I think Garner steals a huge recruit maybe two so I'm not worried about it yet. War Eagle and I hope everybody enjoyed their fourth of July holiday.

Yeah we need some guys but I don't think it's do or die yet though. I think if we didn't get good guys next year we'd be in big trouble

....................We're 7 months and an entire football season away from NSD. Furthermore, we also have a lot of young, talented defensive linemen on the team already, even if we were banged up during the spring. Something to think about (ratings according to 247Composite):

Freshmen

Thornton 4*

Williams 4*

Kennion 3*

Russell 4*

Sophomores

Lawson 5*

Daniel 4*

Adams 5*

Lawrence 3*

Robison 3*

President 3*

Nero 4*

Juniors

Lambert 4*

Harrell 3*

Niles 3*

Of the sophomores and juniors, three have already made enough of an impact to be in the running for starting positions despite the plethora of talented seniors returning, and at least one (President) has some experience in the rotation as well. Ergo, we have four returning players with experience, three returning players who could at least provide depth, and seven new faces (including four 4* prospects).

Now, I'm not about to suggest that we'll be fine without signing any defensive linemen this year, but even after losing the five seniors from this year's team, and even if we didn't sign any DTs or DEs, 16% of the scholarship players will play on the defensive line, which makes up 18% of the total starting positions (not including kicker and punter). Thus, it is not exactly as if the D-line will be on life support unless we sign a bunch of blue chip prospects in 2015...which means we have the luxury of waiting on elite talents like Trent Thompson and Daron Payne to make their decision before we start filling up a class that likely only has 6 or 7 spots left open. My guess is that we will probably sign two or three defensive linemen, and that the worst case scenario would be at least a 4 star DT and a couple of highly regarded 3 star DLs.

I have no doubt that we have some 4 & 5 star DLs in the 2015 class. Our defense will be significantly better than in 2014. Year 2 of CEJ defense will be far better than 2013. We will be good for 2014 no doubt. Overall, the 2014 team will match and probably will be better on both sides of the ball. I have full faith in our team and coaching staff!

The problem with not signing any or many quality dl`s is that Garner plays 10-12 in rotation each game. We need the depth because attrition and injuries are something hard to plan for. Just saying 3-5 linemen every year is a must.

I agree with signing at least 4-5 DLs each season. At least 1 or maybe 2 from JUCO. The JUCO signees should be able to join the rotation each season. Sometimes DLs can play as true freshmen. However, this is not the norm. I feel confident that CRG can coach up DLs far better than any DL coach we have had in a while. I remember Coach Pat Dye having such great depth at DL that some of the rotation actually played more snaps than the starters. I remember Keith Jackson commenting on this back in the 80s. Keith Jackson loved Auburn, and it showed when he was commentating an Auburn game.

The problem with not signing any or many quality dl`s is that Garner plays 10-12 in rotation each game. We need the depth because attrition and injuries are something hard to plan for. Just saying 3-5 linemen every year is a must.

I absolutely love playing that many DL. The TAMU game last year was the first I really noticed it and it was apparent how much of an effect it had. Not to mention it helps with recruiting and player development.

Archived