Will Mincy/Marshall punishment be announced before Arky game?

eagle76

Looking for opinions here. Does anyone think that announcing Mincy's/Marshall's punishment prior to the start of the season would be beneficial? Why give Arky any hint at who will or will not play if that is indeed part of the punishment? It only gives the media something to criticize. As long as the team knows the entire situation and keeps it to themselves, then the players will know what is being done and why.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm..... I like it. Arkansas been practicing for auburn since spring practice and now they won't know who to practice for..

Edit) obviously I don't know what Gus will do... Just an opinion

They will both be put on double secret probation. My guess is since this is the first offense, no loss of games, but if they mess up again, they will lose 1/2 a year of PT and may face getting taken off of the roster altogether. I guarantee they are having to do extra conditioning work as well. JMO. Should be quite a wake up call.

Ill just say I dont think AU is any different than any other big time school over these issues. No weapon was involved, neither was intoxicated behind the wheel, and no one was injured as a result of their acts. Nor were either selling drugs. No way either miss any time. No way Arky's coach doesnt give his 2 cents. In other words the announcement I expect will come from Brett.

I believe Gus should be open about the punishment right away-restate our policy, as posted elsewhere on this site, (first offense is no game suspension but, player attends drug and alchohol counciling, extra workouts, etc..), and then the media can't ridicule AU and say we don't follow through with discipline in these matters. Plus, I don't think it would matter who our qb and db were agaianst Arky in the opener-we will still destroy them with our back-ups in the game!!! I believe Gus and Saban have to get real with these top players that keep getting in trouble to send a message to the young people that look up to them--there are consequences to your stupidity! THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS-STUPIDITY!!

I believe Gus should be open about the punishment right away-restate our policy, as posted elsewhere on this site, (first offense is no game suspension but, player attends drug and alchohol counciling, extra workouts, etc..), and then the media can't ridicule AU and say we don't follow through with discipline in these matters. Plus, I don't think it would matter who our qb and db were agaianst Arky in the opener-we will still destroy them with our back-ups in the game!!! I believe Gus and Saban have to get real with these top players that keep getting in trouble to send a message to the young people that look up to them--there are consequences to your stupidity! THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS-STUPIDITY!!

AU fans should read the AU Athletic Dept policy before presuming to know what it says (found quite easily with google). The 1st/2nd/3rd offense policy that has been widely cited on this site is for failed drug tests, which does not apply to any current player. Here is the portion relevant to Mincy's and Marshall's cases:

J. CRIMINAL OFFENSES INVOLVING DRUGS AND ALCOHOL

Any student-athlete involved in an alcohol or drug related incident will be subject to immediate investigation. ...

The Investigating Committee for all criminal offenses involving drugs and alcohol shall consist of the Director of Athletics, the student-athlete’s Head Coach, the Chair of the Drug Testing/Drug Education Committee, and the Chair of the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics. The Associate A.D. for Compliance will serve as an ex officio member of the committee.

All criminal offenses involving drugs and alcohol will be immediately evaluated by the Investigating Committee and penalties recommended as appropriate for the incident. The AU investigation and possible penalties are separate and apart from any criminal prosecution resulting from the incident. In most cases, the AU investigation and penalties would occur well in advance of the legal disposition of the matter.

Each case is decided on its own merits by a committee of five. Gus alone does not have the final say, though I can't imagine his opinion won't carry more weight than any other committee member's.

If Marshall is suspended for the Arkansas game, we will be in good hand with JJ.

Will hurt the option game, but with the addition of Duke Williams (along with Sammie and the maturity of our other receivers), we will still win this game BIG!

Would not be surprised to see only a half of a game suspension however, since this is the first time Marshall has been in trouble. For Mincy, might be another story since his is a much more serious offense.

If their suspension includes missing game-time, then you'll know before the Arky game. However if they don't miss game time and Malzahn decides to handle it all "in-house" don't be surprised if you don't ever hear anything about a punishment.

AU fans should read the AU Athletic Dept policy before presuming to know what it says (found quite easily with google). The 1st/2nd/3rd offense policy that has been widely cited on this site is for failed drug tests, which does not apply to any current player. Here is the portion relevant to Mincy's and Marshall's cases:

J. CRIMINAL OFFENSES INVOLVING DRUGS AND ALCOHOL

Any student-athlete involved in an alcohol or drug related incident will be subject to immediate investigation. ...

The Investigating Committee for all criminal offenses involving drugs and alcohol shall consist of the Director of Athletics, the student-athlete’s Head Coach, the Chair of the Drug Testing/Drug Education Committee, and the Chair of the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics. The Associate A.D. for Compliance will serve as an ex officio member of the committee.

All criminal offenses involving drugs and alcohol will be immediately evaluated by the Investigating Committee and penalties recommended as appropriate for the incident. The AU investigation and possible penalties are separate and apart from any criminal prosecution resulting from the incident. In most cases, the AU investigation and penalties would occur well in advance of the legal disposition of the matter.

Each case is decided on its own merits by a committee of five. Gus alone does not have the final say, though I can't imagine his opinion won't carry more weight than any other committee member's.

Since the AU evaluation is likely underway as we speak, I wonder if they will drug test these guys immediately as part of the investigation?

Note in Gus's remark that he say there are consequences for actions. Not just punishment but other things. The result these actions also cost these guys the trust of players and coaches. Punishment alone will not correct it. Trust will have to be re-earned. This will be their biggest hurdle. WDE

Man guys.........I'm tired of this,I love auburn but they gotta stop shooting themselves in the foot, especially now during the most inopportune time with the daunting schedule ahead, I want us to be the first ones to hold up that new championship trophy!

Hmmm..... I like it. Arkansas been practicing for auburn since spring practice and now they won't know who to practice for..

Edit) obviously I don't know what Gus will do... Just an opinion

If Gus suspends the whole first team, that will really confuse Arky. ;)

I think Gus...the man that's getting paid 7 figures to eat, breathe and sleep such decisions...should make the decision he thinks is best apart from what ad hoc advisory panels on message boards want him to do.

That said, I imagine he wants to 1) keep Arkansas in the dark as to which QB they'll be facing for a while and 2) allow for some time for Nick to prove to him that he got the message so Gus can nail down exactly how much time, if any, he will sit him.

Since the OP is looking for opinions, my opinion is that neither player will miss a minute of playing time because of these incidents. If there is any punishment, we fans will never know about it.

I was pissed, but I think the officer that cited Nick speaking up about his remorse, tears in his eyes, telling him where the bag was , etc seemed to indicate the officer thinks he is a good kid that screwed up. He put Gus and himself in a tough spot , but I think Nick will respond.

War Eagle Nick !

I think Gus...the man that's getting paid 7 figures to eat, breathe and sleep such decisions...should make the decision he thinks is best apart from what ad hoc advisory panels on message boards want him to do.

That said, I imagine he wants to 1) keep Arkansas in the dark as to which QB they'll be facing for a while and 2) allow for some time for Nick to prove to him that he got the message so Gus can nail down exactly how much time, if any, he will sit him.

doesn't matter about arky knowing which qb will play, they won't be ready for either one

If you don't want to participate in this ad hoc advisory panel, feel free to sit on the sidelines. The rest of us are convinced Gus needs our advice, and will no doubt log in daily to see what we have to say. :big:

As far as when he announces this who cares. Also - Just my opinion - but how quickly we forget. This time last year we were coming off a 3-9 year which (just my opinion again) was primarily due to a lack of focus which was due to a lack discipline which was a result of a lack of authority which, again most often stemmed from a lack of being held accountable of ones actions which were detrimental to the team and university. (What a sentence-a three liner!) From his actions since he took over Gus obviously know this. My gut feel is Jeremy Johnson will QB the Arkansas game.

Don't believe Gus will announcing a public punishment for Nick. I'm told his punishment will be handled internally. Mincy I suspect will miss a couple of games.

And Titian is 100% correct.

As far as when he announces this who cares. Also - Just my opinion - but how quickly we forget. This time last year we were coming off a 3-9 year which (just my opinion again) was primarily due to a lack of focus which was due to a lack discipline which was a result of a lack of authority which, again most often stemmed from a lack of being held accountable of ones actions which were detrimental to the team and university. (What a sentence-a three liner!) From his actions since he took over Gus obviously know this. My gut feel is Jeremy Johnson will QB the Arkansas game.

+1

And after all this team/program went through and endured in '12 then the transistion to the new coaching staff last summer, etc. These knuckleheads can't control their urges and lay off the weed for just a few more months...... :thumbsdown:

Well - maybe this is what helps "slow the game down"? Personally - I think either QB is perfectly capable of throwing the ball to Sammie or Duke. Arky's secondary is a synonym for "pig on a spit". As long as the O-line is as good as we believe then it should not matter who is throwing the ball in that game.

The saddest part of Nick (possibly) having to sit is that it will cost him a shot at the Heisman all because of insignificant quantities of a highly debatable "drug" that he was found with while driving sober. There are already two states where this would be a non-issue and neither have slipped in chaos - but here we are in the Bible Belt discussing whether or not to ruin a kids college football dreams because of bogus propaganda pounded in the nations head 40 years ago. This is all about perception - this wasnt a bar fight, running down the street drunk and underage, DUI for hitting a parked car, beating up random students, committing fraud, telling a teacher to "F off", dealing drugs, theft, or anything that truly says he is a bad kid. Laws are laws and he has a fine to pay, and I am sure a few extra stairs to run- that should be the end of it. The end of Chizik had far worse problems than Nick.

As far as Mincy goes - he was arrested while being stupid and endangering others. Doesn't matter to me who was driving. That is putting yourself in a bad situation. I think he should have to sit a game.

Archived