2014 Fall Practice - Day 2

RunInRed

Just wrapped 25-min media viewing on Day 2 of practice, saw Auburn soph QB Jeremy Johnson splitting first reps w/ Nick Marshall at times.

@AUBlog

Two AU commits at practice ...

LB Montavious Atkinson

ATH Jason Smith

http://auburn.247spo...actice-30020471

• Malzahn worked solely with the receivers in the first 25 minutes of the practice. He lined up at Mike linebacker at times, too, as he pushed the receivers through some timing routes.

• Dameyune Craig, with a boot on his left leg and all, continues to hobble around on the field as he pushes his receivers through drills -- though Malzahn took over in more drills that required more movement from the position coach.

• Justin Garrett worked with the starters at the Star linebacker/safety position.

• Left tackle Austin Golson, who will sit out this season after transferring from Ole Miss, worked with the second-team unit during pace drills.

Read more: http://www.al.com/au...rvations_q.html

Players warming up ...

BuD4l3MIEAAeQxv.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

BuD50D8IYAAY3K9.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

BuD6KmCCYAAVTJD.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

BuD6BVWIIAAKMGJ.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

BuD8k4iCMAAL-Pf.jpg

via @mickeywelsh

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess when we start practicing Johnson will get majority of first team reps?

I am guessing that Johnson will continue to get normal reps at practice with the first team for the entire season as he needs to work on his package for when he plays every game of the year.

Amazing how different the freshmen look than the sophomores and upperclassmen. I wonder why they're just standing on the sidelines and not getting in on much action yet.

Amazing how different the freshmen look than the sophomores and upperclassmen. I wonder why they're just standing on the sidelines and not getting in on much action yet.

CGM indicated in yesterday's presser that they're doing special stuff with the freshmen to get them up to speed.

CGM indicated in yesterday's presser that they're doing special stuff with the freshmen to get them up to speed.

That makes more sense. I was hoping they weren't standing there just grabbing @$$ haha

Any word on how Peyton Barber looks coming off that injury in spring?

Great question. No word on him yet...makes you wonder.

I read somewhere that he's fine and fully recovered.

I heard the same thing a couple weeks ago but haven't heard anything about him from the first two practices

I heard the same thing a couple weeks ago but haven't heard anything about him from the first two practices

He was in the video on the first day taking snaps with JJ.

That makes more sense. I was hoping they weren't standing there just grabbing @$$ haha

Here's an article on the method (of bringing along the newbies slowly).

Malzahn's Presser ...

Malzahn said it was "a very solid practice" and believed it was an improvement compared to Friday's session.

Malzahn on LaDarius Owens: "He has experience and he's been around a long time. .... He's got a high motor."

@wareagleextra

Auburn's Gus Malzahn says Gabe Wright has been at defensive end the last two days. "He presents a bigger guy."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn congratulates Chad Slade and Jermaine Whitehead. They went through graduation Saturday

@AUGoldMine

Malzahn: "I was pleased with our tempo and effort today. Really felt like we improved from yesterday."

Malzahn said true freshman OL Braden Smith "will get a shot" at "getting into the mix." He has been working at LT the first two days.

@JFergusonAU

Malzahn on Braden Smith: "Kinda one of those deals when we get shoulder pads on him, we'll really see what he can do." Smith working at LT.

Malzahn on RBs: "Older guys, just improving on the little things…The two freshmen coming in we're going to give them an opp. to carry ball."

Malzahn says he's taking advantage of WRs coach Dameyune Craig's a Achilles injury to help coach the inside WRs. Really enjoys 1-on-1 time.

Malzahn on @TRUitt_thaTRUth (Stanton Truitt): "He is super fast, he's got electric speed so finding ways to get him the ball in space or in return game."

@AUBlog

Gus Malzahn was pleased with tempo and effort on Day 2. Tigers put on shells Sunday.

@bmarcello

Thought I saw a quote that said he was working with the 2nd team all day yesterday.

Also, Ladarius Owens is looking jacked

Archived