2016 4* QB Brandon McIlwain (South Carolina commit)

ClaytonAU

We MUST sign 2 QB's for the 2016 class.

Why 2? One per year is sufficient unless we do a bad job of evaluating the talent.

It seems the QB position is a crapshoot when it comes to evaluating how they will do in college. We took Kiehl Frazier as the one QB in his class, I believe, and we needed a juco band-aid to cover up for that. We are lucky NM came to AU. We could've started JJ last season and had a good season but I doubt we win the SEC and goto the BCS title game with a true freshman as the QB.

So taking 2 seems to be the safer bet, and if somebody transfers out due to lack of playing time....well, they should've been better.

Why 2? One per year is sufficient unless we do a bad job of evaluating the talent.

That may be, but the plan is to sign two for the '16 cycle (assuming TQ is the only signee for '15).

I was VERY impressed with the film of Sean as well as his performance in the UA game last year. Do you think he looks good enough to push JJ next year?

He is good enough to push JJ but JJ will be the starter. JJ is a NFL talent.

I was VERY impressed with the film of Sean as well as his performance in the UA game last year. Do you think he looks good enough to push JJ next year?

I think you may be correct about JJ's talent, but until any players has played a few significant games at the college level against really good defenses it is to early to say he is an NFL talent. I love the optimism on this board when we are talking about potential, but potential and what players actually produce once on the field can be significantly different both positively and negatively depending on the player. I am not downgrading JJ as what I saw of him last year gives me great hope but I am a realist and I need to see it on the field during tough games before I say NFL Talent.

both Gus and Rhett have been quoted as having said this about JJ. I trust their assessments...........

I think you may be correct about JJ's talent, but until any players has played a few significant games at the college level against really good defenses it is to early to say he is an NFL talent. I love the optimism on this board when we are talking about potential, but potential and what players actually produce once on the field can be significantly different both positively and negatively depending on the player. I am not downgrading JJ as what I saw of him last year gives me great hope but I am a realist and I need to see it on the field during tough games before I say NFL Talent.

Also FYI that in today's league "NFL Talent" at the QB position is a lot about size and arm strength. JJ possesses those two things. Coaches in the NFL are willing to work on the rest.

He has the talent to play in the NFL. Kid is a freak athlete. More talent than last year's heisman winner. But you are 100% correct he has to put it all together in games. And I believe that JJ starts next year.

I just hope non of the three fsu commits try to come aboard after they find out fsu is not where they want to be. If there are two dual threats at the school I like, I won't be that stupid and commit to that same team. Last time I checked, there's only 1football and 1 starting qb.

It seems the QB position is a crapshoot when it comes to evaluating how they will do in college. We took Kiehl Frazier as the one QB in his class, I believe, and we needed a juco band-aid to cover up for that. We are lucky NM came to AU. We could've started JJ last season and had a good season but I doubt we win the SEC and goto the BCS title game with a true freshman as the QB.

So taking 2 seems to be the safer bet, and if somebody transfers out due to lack of playing time....well, they should've been better.

Team needs would dictate that there are better areas to use a scholly for a crapshoot. Current needs dictate that DE/DL is a more important need. My point is we do not need to take 2 QBs just because, think this coaching staff is more inclined to focus on needs rather than going with a nice round number.

Team needs would dictate that there are better areas to use a scholly for a crapshoot. Current needs dictate that DE/DL is a more important need. My point is we do not need to take 2 QBs just because, think this coaching staff is more inclined to focus on needs rather than going with a nice round number.

I totally agree with the addressing needs > round numbers. I meant in general, it's better to bet on 2 guys than just 1. I wasn't proposing going after 2 QBs for the sake of getting 2 QBs, if we are in a position to do so I'd just rather take 2 than 1. But yes our DLine is quickly becoming a concern and would much rather see an influx of talent on the line is imperative considering the numbers we lose after this season.

SIAP but B-Mac is a top target for the staff along with Paterson and Pass.

I wish our QB list for next year was even longer. I think Patterson is a real longshop with his brother now on the staff at LSU, and he play HS in the state too. Pass I would love o have and think we have as good a chance as anyone, that being said he is seriously interested in schools pretty far away that he considers as college powers line Notre Dame.

Now Mcilwain is from the NE and it is often hard to pull those kids all the way down to the deep south.

SIAP but B-Mac is a top target for the staff along with Paterson and Pass.

I wish our QB list for next year was even longer. I think Patterson is a real longshop with his brother now on the staff at LSU, and he play HS in the state too. Pass I would love o have and think we have as good a chance as anyone, that being said he is seriously interested in schools pretty far away that he considers as college powers line Notre Dame.

Now Mcilwain is from the NE and it is often hard to pull those kids all the way down to the deep south.

Add Xavier Gaines to the list

Add Xavier Gaines to the list

His offer is not committable right now. One of the other 3 could commit now if they want to.

How QB's are on our 2016 board?

From the two posts above - I'd say 4, with 3 who could commit at any time.

• 4 months later...

Hard to keep kids in town....can understand why they might want to see a little different part of the world...and USCe sure does need some QB talent.

Archived