Derrick Moncrief

WFE12

Guys this is the guy I'm most excited to see on defense, Honestly I don't think the team has had someone in the secondary to really put fear in opposing players' hearts in a while, I think he will be that guy to do it and his hard hitting play will definitely set the tone for this new tigers defense

I think him and Jonathan Ford and Trovon Reed will be huge. I can see Ford eventually starting, Whitehead ok vs the pass. Gotten beat bad over the years.

yeah, hoping a lot of these guys that are being overlooked show out

"I love him," middle linebacker Cassanova McKinzy, who likes to mix it up himself, said. "I love the emotion he brings. He's learning really, really fast. He's the type of player who doesn't want the interception. He wants the hit."

Hoping coaches Johnson and Garner will make this defense that will remind us of the defense we use to have in the late 80s with coach Dye.

Whitehead won't come off the bench. But the biggest reason I think the defense can improve a good bit is because safety play was not good at all last year. We actually had corners playing safety. I'm happy we are about to have some true thumpers at safety. It would really really help the run and pass defense if we get a super talented guy back there. I appreciate what they did for the team and it was big time them coming in and stepping up but neither Ryan white or Smith would have started for any other sec team

Whitehead won't come off the bench. But the biggest reason I think the defense can improve a good bit is because safety play was not good at all last year. We actually had corners playing safety. I'm happy we are about to have some true thumpers at safety. It would really really help the run and pass defense if we get a super talented guy back there. I appreciate what they did for the team and it was big time them coming in and stepping up but neither Ryan white or Smith would have started for any other sec team

Ryan Smith is a fine player which is why he has actually made some noise for the Dallas Cowboys in camp, where he is still battling for a roster spot. He would have started for some SEC teams...probably not the top-tier, but he would have been in line at several of the mid-tier, and definitely the bottom-tier teams.

The only team he may have started for is Kentucky. That's it. He was pretty good at being in the right spot and I guess he had pretty good hands but he didn't cover well in man and he didn't tackle well at all. And apparently he's smart which is why he went to the cowboys because their db's suck and if you're going to make a roster that's a good choice.

I think Moncrief would have been a great Safety 10 years ago back when you were allowed to be a great safety. Now they are too scared of future lawsuits to let them hit anymore.

I think Moncrief would have been a great Safety 10 years ago back when you were allowed to be a great safety. Now they are too scared of future lawsuits to let them hit anymore.

He can be a good safety without targeting the head. Junior Rosegreen had an awesome hit, but I feared for the Georgia receiver's life after he laid motionless on the ground. I'm glad the concussion issue was dealt with.

The only team he may have started for is Kentucky. That's it. He was pretty good at being in the right spot and I guess he had pretty good hands but he didn't cover well in man and he didn't tackle well at all. And apparently he's smart which is why he went to the cowboys because their db's suck and if you're going to make a roster that's a good choice.

As a Cowboys fan...i approve this message. We SUCK on defense! Just found out he is trying to make the roster. How we play defense and with Sandrick being suspended the first few games i hope Ryan is able to make the team. Can't get much worse on defense than it already is. Thank God for Auburn Football!

He can be a good safety without targeting the head. Junior Rosegreen had an awesome hit, but I feared for the Georgia receiver's life after he laid motionless on the ground. I'm glad the concussion issue was dealt with.

I just think the days of what we used to consider a great safety are gone, they are more like corners than safeties now. I played safety for 4 years in high school and they taught us to head hunt now you can't do that.

J.R. started 3 years and now is talked about for one hit, 10 years later. he had many plays that didnt kill anyone as well. still havent replaced him on our roster yet.

Was sitting on the 35 yard line on the opposite end of the field on the Rosegreen hit...it was an old school bone crushing hit. Football of yesteryear where recievers kept their heads on a swivel and were men that knew going across the middle was risk and reward.

2015 starting safeties Moncrief and T Matthews! That should be a great combo!!!

and it will be buddy! :bananadance:

J.R. started 3 years and now is talked about for one hit, 10 years later. he had many plays that didnt kill anyone as well. still havent replaced him on our roster yet.

I agree that he made a ton of plays for Auburn and I don't think he was a dirty player. I'm saying those plays deserve to be punished now that we are more knowledgeable about head injuries

It's going to get worse, they are going to start calling defenseless penalties in the future. Basically you are going to have to either play the ball in the air or let him catch it, come down and turn to see you first before you can hit him. There will be no separating the receiver from the ball. It would be different if the refs knew how to call it but we will start seeing players ejected for what are actually clean hits.

And I bet when Rosegreen watches football these days he shakes his head and what he sees safety play has become.

It is pretty sad. I get player safety and all, but football is a risky game to begin with and these guy know that the day they sign up. I understand not "launching" yourself with your head down into a reciever, however, that hit JR had would be ruled illegal today for no reason other than it was a big hit on a reciever who didnt see him coming. There is a difference in that hit and what McKinzey did last season.

It is pretty sad. I get player safety and all, but football is a risky game to begin with and these guy know that the day they sign up. I understand not "launching" yourself with your head down into a reciever, however, that hit JR had would be ruled illegal today for no reason other than it was a big hit on a reciever who didnt see him coming. There is a difference in that hit and what McKinzey did last season.

it was helmet to helmet. No question he would be tossed and should. There are some targeting calls that are unavoidable or UN intentional. Those are the ones that hurt the game.

What is "pretty sad" is anybody pining for the old days when pure ignorance dictated the way the game was played. I suppose middle-aged men suffering from dementia, depression and various other forms of chronic pain and illness in the name of some outdated notion of toughness is a good thing to some of you. And, no, most of them didn't know the extent of the damage they were doing to themselves when they signed up- that's a very recent development.

Archived