Derrick Moncrief

WFE12

What is "pretty sad" is anybody pining for the old days when pure ignorance dictated the way the game was played. I suppose middle-aged men suffering from dementia, depression and various other forms of chronic pain and illness in the name of some outdated notion of toughness is a good thing to some of you. And, no, most of them didn't know the extent of the damage they were doing to themselves when they signed up- that's a very recent development.

Couldn't have said it better. Guys, hits like that are ruining people's lives. Trust me, I love watching some headhunting safety laying down the law as much as anyone but it isn't safe and it isn't worth it. Once the refs get a little continuity in their calls, the game will be better off with the rules.

Totally agree, and I think the SEC took a really positive step forward in defining the strike zone for hits on the QB. I suspect we'll see something very similar in the coming years for hits on all players, but defenseless WRs in particular. The players can adapt to anything if they have clear rules. It's not like the game has become easy on the body or anything. They aren't playing two-hand touch. Take one shot in the chest from a 300 pound lineman moving full speed and tell me it's not a man's game.

It is pretty sad. I get player safety and all, but football is a risky game to begin with and these guy know that the day they sign up. I understand not "launching" yourself with your head down into a reciever, however, that hit JR had would be ruled illegal today for no reason other than it was a big hit on a reciever who didnt see him coming. There is a difference in that hit and what McKinzey did last season.

it was helmet to helmet. No question he would be tossed and should. There are some targeting calls that are unavoidable or UN intentional. Those are the ones that hurt the game.

JR wasnt not targeting his head. Reggie ducked and that is what caused the helmets to hit. JR was leading in with his shoulder. That was a good example of why football players wear helmets. That is the difference I am talking about. I was actually wrong when I said Reggie didnt see him.

You can't be serious with the "leads with his shoulder" comment, can you? Watch the replay. He hits entirely with the crown of his helmet and forearms. There isn't a bit of shoulder on that play. It was legal then. Now, he'd unquestionably and correctly get tossed for targeting.

Really hope he lives up to all the preseason hype. With Holsey and Garret back from injury and the addition of DM I have pretty high expectations for the back end of this defense.

I'm excited to see Moncrief, but I'm almost more excited that his presence allows us to send Holsey back to his natural position. Holsey is a "football player" that can fit almost anywhere. Even so, he's a potential game changer at CB. I'm excited to see those two guys on the Boundary side this fall.

reggie lives in my neighborhood and i have met him a few times. i have always wanted to ask him about that hit, but not sure how he would respond. :-\

* Sophomore Rudy Ford has moved ahead of junior college transfer Derrick Moncrief at boundary safety. Moncrief has missed time and Ford has taken advantage.

Good. We need at least three Safeties, and Ford has worked at both spots. I could care less who starts. All three will play a lot.

The move comes on the heels of Derrick Moncrief's absence from several practices due to a virus and dehydration. The junior college transfer emerged as the top boundary safety in the spring and drew rave reviews, but has fallen behind a tad because of his illness.

Defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson said Moncrief and Ford are "pretty even," but Moncrief's absence was enough to push Ford ahead on the depth chart -- at least temporarily.

Lots of good quotes about DM...

http://www.annistons...19bb2963f4.html

“I’m going to add my leadership and my tackling ability and my coverage skills for big tight ends and things of that sort,” he said. “Kind of go on the moment, whatever (teammates) need to get them juiced up. I’m always going to be juiced up and I just want to make people around me better.”
This is exactly what i'm talking about, those moments when the secondary might give up something,he will do his thing to get everybody else in BEAST mode

The move comes on the heels of Derrick Moncrief's absence from several practices due to a virus and dehydration. The junior college transfer emerged as the top boundary safety in the spring and drew rave reviews, but has fallen behind a tad because of his illness.

Defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson said Moncrief and Ford are "pretty even," but Moncrief's absence was enough to push Ford ahead on the depth chart -- at least temporarily.

smh...well..either or, I'm expecting much better play at safety this season

I very greatly expect Moncrief to be back at the top of the depth chart by the time Arkansas rolls into town, provided he is able to get well and begin practicing full speed again by next week. Great to hear Ford is stepping up in his absence, however.

I very greatly expect Moncrief to be back at the top of the depth chart by the time Arkansas rolls into town, provided he is able to get well and begin practicing full speed again by next week. Great to hear Ford is stepping up in his absence, however.

Yes very good news. Good to hear that we have a coaching staff who is thinking ahead and preparing depth for upcoming and unexpected pitfalls.

Completely agree, Rednilla. Ford has worked at both Safety spots so slotting him as the third Safety makes more sense. I expect Moncrief to start on the boundary, and I expect to see a lot of Ford.

Completely agree, Rednilla. Ford has worked at both Safety spots so slotting him as the third Safety makes more sense. I expect Moncrief to start on the boundary, and I expect to see a lot of Ford.

Thats what I think too. After the great spring he had I fully expect him to start first game. He just needs to stay healthy until then. At least the health issue isn't bone or joint related, with viruses you just need to get well and get your strength back. I think our secondary is going to be very good this year.

I'd be more concerned if Moncrief missed time and no-one moved ahead of him on the depth chart.

What is "pretty sad" is anybody pining for the old days when pure ignorance dictated the way the game was played. I suppose middle-aged men suffering from dementia, depression and various other forms of chronic pain and illness in the name of some outdated notion of toughness is a good thing to some of you. And, no, most of them didn't know the extent of the damage they were doing to themselves when they signed up- that's a very recent development.

Are you aware you just described today's referees.

Archived