Really, SEC Network

AuCivilEng1

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Booger Mcfarland stated he doesn't take Auburn seriously...he has Texas A&M losing to both Mississippi schools but beating us at home and most likely a night game(I hope)....I'm pretty much done with them except for games and SEC Storied

I watched the opeining night until I heard Mackerelboy say that at the end of the season the three best QB's in the SEC would be Prescott, Mauck, and Mason.

so whats the problem with that? because his list is different from yours?

I don't think it's because it is different, but because it's so bias!

What QB won the SEC and played for the Natty last season? That same QB has the second most veteran O-line in the SEC in front of him, and more options at receiver beside him, is considered by many "at the very least" in the early Heisman Race, and he isn't in the league top 3?

Again, that's not just different, it is just bias!

bias towards what? neither of those QB's play fer bammer. those guys are in the argument whether you think they should be or not.

So in your opinion, Nick Marshall isn't in the argument? Bias against Auburn.

A SEC winning, returning starter, on the Heisman watch list but isn't in the top three? Do you still not get it, or just won't admit you, and they are wrong?

an opinion cant be wrong. thats all i'm saying. it's who HE thinks is top 3. nobody is penciled in to be in that top 3. it's a "your list" type of deal. meaning who YOU think should be on the list.

So now you are changing your stance to an opinion can't be wrong. It can, not make horse sense, and it can be biased.

I watched a little bit of McElroy talking about QBs last night. He said he couldn't discount what Marshall did on the field, but as far as pure QB talent goes, he thinks Dak Prescott is the best QB in the conference. (He totally ignored leadership, which is probably the most important QB quality, but that's a different discussion.) Given what he has shown on the field, I think it's a fair assessment to put Marshall down a few rungs in terms of passing ability. All of us expect him, with the extra year of working in Gus's system and the addition of Duke Williams, to be a much better passer this year than last, but he has yet to prove that on the field. I've seen several people post about not giving Coker, Fournette, et al credit for being great before they show anything on the field, but it seems that some get butt-hurt when some analyst doesn't give Marshall that credit.

I don't know that I would enjoy watching a network where all the analysts were saying the same thing. I give McElroy credit for trying to take a little different approach to his analysis. I think at the end of the season, he'll have to admit he was wrong about NM, but his analysis is fair and reasonable. He's much better than some.

Folks, it is an OPINION, therefore it is going to be somewhat biased - that is what any analyst gets paid for. Great analyst look at the numbers and turn the raw data into information. Most sports analyst look at the raw data and turn it into their opinion. Their opinion is influenced (thus biased) based on their experience, knowledge and outlook. McElroy comes from a background of the "game manager" type QB, so his bias (in my opinion, which is thus biased because it is my opinion) is that a great QB is accurate in passing and can run the occasional draw and scramble when necessary. The 3 guys he has picked does fit that mold pretty well. Marshall is a different type QB from a different type system that requires different skill sets (of which he is very much at the top of that based on last years production). I don't think Marshall fits the McElroy mold, which influences his opinion of where he will finish in the stats of the league. Remember, many of the talking heads said Cam would not be much in the NFL because he came from a system at AU that was not a fit in the traditional NFL offense. He then proved them wrong. So will Nick.

But the key to his point is he stated the best 3 "AT THE END OF THE SEASON" he didn't say at the start of the season. So in his opinion, he believes those 3 guys will have better stats than Marshall at the end of the season. I am sure part of that is he has taken the data of the teams AU has to play (tougher schedule than those teams), teams "out to get AU" and that AU will probably run the ball more (stats that go to RBs vice QBs) - all which could impact the effectiveness/statistics of NM as the QB.

And remember the purpose of the network - to make money. The best way to make money is have a large, strong customer base - which includes throwing a bone to all the teams in the SEC. You think AU fans think it is an uatNetwork - imagine fans from MSU, Ole Miss, Arky, Vandy etc...who are hearing nothing so far on the network other than Alabama and Auburn and the playoff going through the state. It is the same reason we have pre-season polls and pre-season magazine sells - to make money.

Listen to those opinions, read what Phil Steele and others think, remember they are paid to analyze data and offer their opinion on that data, consider their biases and track records, but look at the data your self and make your on opinion. You don't have to agree with those talking heads but get to post and tell us your opinion on who you think will be the best QB at the end of the season. We'll consider your bias and comment on it as well. That is what makes these boards go. My opinion is Marshall (barring injury) will finish as the best overall QB in the league based on what he brings in running and passing and leadership. But I am biased toward anything AU. However, going into the season, the QB I fear the most is Dak Prescott because to me he is similar to Marshall, but of bigger size, runs in a similar system. I do believe he is the QB who will do the most damage against AU (although his team may not do the most against AU).

I think I've watched about 00:01 of the Saban Excites Network. I'll pass on watching it unless its the only option I have to watch AU.

I watched the opeining night until I heard Mackerelboy say that at the end of the season the three best QB's in the SEC would be Prescott, Mauck, and Mason.

so whats the problem with that? because his list is different from yours?

I don't think it's because it is different, but because it's so bias!

What QB won the SEC and played for the Natty last season? That same QB has the second most veteran O-line in the SEC in front of him, and more options at receiver beside him, is considered by many "at the very least" in the early Heisman Race, and he isn't in the league top 3?

Again, that's not just different, it is just bias!

bias towards what? neither of those QB's play fer bammer. those guys are in the argument whether you think they should be or not.

So in your opinion, Nick Marshall isn't in the argument? Bias against Auburn.

A SEC winning, returning starter, on the Heisman watch list but isn't in the top three? Do you still not get it, or just won't admit you, and they are wrong?

an opinion cant be wrong. thats all i'm saying. it's who HE thinks is top 3. nobody is penciled in to be in that top 3. it's a "your list" type of deal. meaning who YOU think should be on the list.

So now you are changing your stance to an opinion can't be wrong. It can, not make horse sense, and it can be biased.

I watched a little bit of McElroy talking about QBs last night. He said he couldn't discount what Marshall did on the field, but as far as pure QB talent goes, he thinks Dak Prescott is the best QB in the conference. (He totally ignored leadership, which is probably the most important QB quality, but that's a different discussion.) Given what he has shown on the field, I think it's a fair assessment to put Marshall down a few rungs in terms of passing ability. All of us expect him, with the extra year of working in Gus's system and the addition of Duke Williams, to be a much better passer this year than last, but he has yet to prove that on the field. I've seen several people post about not giving Coker, Fournette, et al credit for being great before they show anything on the field, but it seems that some get butt-hurt when some analyst doesn't give Marshall that credit.

I don't know that I would enjoy watching a network where all the analysts were saying the same thing. I give McElroy credit for trying to take a little different approach to his analysis. I think at the end of the season, he'll have to admit he was wrong about NM, but his analysis is fair and reasonable. He's much better than some.

Folks, it is an OPINION, therefore it is going to be somewhat biased - that is what any analyst gets paid for. Great analyst look at the numbers and turn the raw data into information. Most sports analyst look at the raw data and turn it into their opinion. Their opinion is influenced (thus biased) based on their experience, knowledge and outlook. McElroy comes from a background of the "game manager" type QB, so his bias (in my opinion, which is thus biased because it is my opinion) is that a great QB is accurate in passing and can run the occasional draw and scramble when necessary. The 3 guys he has picked does fit that mold pretty well. Marshall is a different type QB from a different type system that requires different skill sets (of which he is very much at the top of that based on last years production). I don't think Marshall fits the McElroy mold, which influences his opinion of where he will finish in the stats of the league. Remember, many of the talking heads said Cam would not be much in the NFL because he came from a system at AU that was not a fit in the traditional NFL offense. He then proved them wrong. So will Nick.

But the key to his point is he stated the best 3 "AT THE END OF THE SEASON" he didn't say at the start of the season. So in his opinion, he believes those 3 guys will have better stats than Marshall at the end of the season. I am sure part of that is he has taken the data of the teams AU has to play (tougher schedule than those teams), teams "out to get AU" and that AU will probably run the ball more (stats that go to RBs vice QBs) - all which could impact the effectiveness/statistics of NM as the QB.

And remember the purpose of the network - to make money. The best way to make money is have a large, strong customer base - which includes throwing a bone to all the teams in the SEC. You think AU fans think it is an uatNetwork - imagine fans from MSU, Ole Miss, Arky, Vandy etc...who are hearing nothing so far on the network other than Alabama and Auburn and the playoff going through the state. It is the same reason we have pre-season polls and pre-season magazine sells - to make money.

Listen to those opinions, read what Phil Steele and others think, remember they are paid to analyze data and offer their opinion on that data, consider their biases and track records, but look at the data your self and make your on opinion. You don't have to agree with those talking heads but get to post and tell us your opinion on who you think will be the best QB at the end of the season. We'll consider your bias and comment on it as well. That is what makes these boards go. My opinion is Marshall (barring injury) will finish as the best overall QB in the league based on what he brings in running and passing and leadership. But I am biased toward anything AU. However, going into the season, the QB I fear the most is Dak Prescott because to me he is similar to Marshall, but of bigger size, runs in a similar system. I do believe he is the QB who will do the most damage against AU (although his team may not do the most against AU).

Has to be the longest post in the history of this site. No offense, but I'll wait for the Cliff Notes.

You think AU fans think it is an uatNetwork - imagine fans from MSU, Ole Miss, Arky, Vandy etc...who are hearing nothing so far on the network other than Alabama and Auburn and the playoff going through the state.

It could be worse... imagine being a Tennessee fan after what happened on ESPN's SEC preview, when they asked the panel who had the best chance of going to a bowl, Kentucky, Vandy, or Tennessee. One person said none of them and the other picked Vandy because of their incredibly weak non-conference schedule.

Yea, the SEC network is stuck on the same bama bandwagon that the rest of the country has been stuck on forever, but I have only heard very few talking heads actually disrespect Auburn. Most say we're going to be better on both sides of the ball, but our schedule is almost impossible to survive, which is true. Fortunately, Gus specializes in impossible.

SEC Network is ESPN's baby. Nothing new, nothing we have not seen or heard before...... just a whole lot more of it. It will be as it has been,politically driven by money and power of the strongest fan bases in the conference. Unfortunately for the rest of the SEC that leaves us at the mercy of Bama. Until another leader emerges in the SEC, they will get the headlines and press coverage over all other SEC teams. And that is the way it has to be i guess.

All you can hope is for more parity in the SEC in the future...... and Auburn remaining at the Top to insure coverage.

Exactly. The media hypes up winners. If we continue our success over the next few years, the rest of the nation will get sick of AU just as much as they are sick of Bama currently due to ESPN constantly sniffing their jockstraps.

You think AU fans think it is an uatNetwork - imagine fans from MSU, Ole Miss, Arky, Vandy etc...who are hearing nothing so far on the network other than Alabama and Auburn and the playoff going through the state.

It could be worse... imagine being a Tennessee fan after what happened on ESPN's SEC preview, when they asked the panel who had the best chance of going to a bowl, Kentucky, Vandy, or Tennessee. One person said none of them and the other picked Vandy because of their incredibly weak non-conference schedule.

Yea, the SEC network is stuck on the same bama bandwagon that the rest of the country has been stuck on forever, but I have only heard very few talking heads actually disrespect Auburn. Most say we're going to be better on both sides of the ball, but our schedule is almost impossible to survive, which is true. Fortunately, Gus specializes in impossible.

:wareagle: Nailed it!

Archived