The officer in Ferguson had his eye socket crushed

It seems Ferguson, MO didn't get all that equipment through the DOD surplus programs. http://dailysignal.c...sarily-pentagon

From the article:

"Bottom line is that this was a misuse of gear. But it was not, for the most part, gear obtained from the DoD. It was commercially available equipment that apparently was purchased by that local police force."

Militarization of today's police is a concept much deeper than getting gear from DoD.

Exactly but that's not the picture painted by the critics.

This Newsweek article is much in line with what I heard on NPR a few days ago as a former Sheriff and police-academy director was discussing the subject. It's not the gear, it's their operational philosophy and how they are trained:

http://www.newsweek.com/why-militarized-police-departments-dont-work-265214

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems Ferguson, MO didn't get all that equipment through the DOD surplus programs. http://dailysignal.c...sarily-pentagon

From the article:

"Bottom line is that this was a misuse of gear. But it was not, for the most part, gear obtained from the DoD. It was commercially available equipment that apparently was purchased by that local police force."

Militarization of today's police is a concept much deeper than getting gear from DoD.

Exactly but that's not the picture painted by the critics.

This Newsweek article is much in line with what I heard on NPR a few days ago as a former Sheriff and police-academy director was discussing the subject. It's not the gear, it's their operational philosophy and how they are trained:

http://www.newsweek.com/why-militarized-police-departments-dont-work-265214

I understand that, but the media rarely goes into much detail and only push the police getting all that equipment from the DOD. Thanks for the link BTW, it's interesting.

Man 78, what a raging agenda you have. It's almost like you're saying"move along, nothing to see here" now that the broken face story has come out. That is really sad.

You really missed on that one TLC. I assure you I have no agenda, not even close. I would say those with an agenda present only one side of the story.

I am relatively certain I've stated on every thread on this topic that the American people need to step back and allow discovery. My thoughts on the matter have not wavered.

This has turned into a circus. Photos of the officer should have been released immediately to attempt and extinguish the riots. Another person has been killed and several stores looted and vandalized. It doesn't help that the president and attorney general have been so aggressive in their demands without knowing the facts. Its not even a federal issue.

What "demands" are you referring to?

A federal investigation into a city/county issue. In a relatively small town in the state of Missouri.

Who exactly has objected to it? The mayor? The governor?

Who was the subject of the "aggressive demands" as you put it?

I will tell you what is troubling, an assault on a police officer.

I will tell you what is troubling.

People who take sides in this tragedy to the extent they post - and leave - erroneous information on a forum just to reinforce their prejudice about what happened.

alexava......with all due respect, your GOP comment is ridiculous to make at a time like this. You sound just like Obama himself trying to throw the blame on someone else. JMHO

It shouldn't be a political issue.

Why did you make it one then?

did I?

Yep, with your GOP comment.

that was on a different subject. It was also correct.

The officer may not have had his eye socket broken but he did have a swollen face and had been attacked. The further this goes the less the "gentle giant" looks like the myth that has been portrayed. There is more that we don't know and I draw no conclusion for certain. I do know that if white cops were always shooting young black men we would hear about it. Every time there is an incident like this we hear about it and it is not nearly as frequent as some would have us to believe.

The officer may not have had his eye socket broken but he did have a swollen face and had been attacked. The further this goes the less the "gentle giant" looks like the myth that has been portrayed. There is more that we don't know and I draw no conclusion for certain. I do know that if white cops were always shooting young black men we would hear about it. Every time there is an incident like this we hear about it and it is not nearly as frequent as some would have us to believe.

exactly. i've always thought people should choose their battles wisely. going to bat for this kid when that robbery video is clear evidence of thuggery is not wise.

exactly. i've always thought people should choose their battles wisely. going to bat for this kid when that robbery video is clear evidence of thuggery is not wise.

Is propagating outright lies being made about the incident "going to bat" for the victim?

Is pointing out lies being made about the incident "going to bat" for the victim?

no. choosing which lies to believe and not to believe is. if you look at the facts you have no one to bat for.

Is pointing out lies being made about the incident "going to bat" for the victim?

no. choosing which lies to believe and not to believe is. if you look at the facts you have no one to bat for.

No one to "bat for". Why should I be batting for anyone?

Seems to me that you are the one choosing sides, not me. Or is it that you are stuck in assumption mode?

Seems to me that you are the one choosing sides, not me. Or is it that you are stuck in assumption mode?

the robbery video leaves nothing to assume. pure thug. look up his rap videos if you need more confirmation. better yet ask to open his juvenile files.

the robbery video leaves nothing to assume. pure thug. look up his rap videos if you need more confirmation. better yet ask to open his juvenile files.

Does the robbery video tells you all you need to know about the fatal shooting? Or is it the robbery video combined with his rap videos and juvenile files that allow you to know what happened during the shooting?

Like I said, it's quite clear who is taking sides on this.

Dos the robbery video tells you all you need to know about the fatal shooting? Or is it the robbery video combined with his rap videos and juvenile files that allow you to know what happened during the shooting?

its also clear on who's head is in the sand.

Dos the robbery video tells you all you need to know about the fatal shooting? Or is it the robbery video combined with his rap videos and juvenile files that allow you to know what happened during the shooting?

I agree. One of us is obviously unqualified to serve on the jury.

I agree. One of us is obviously unqualified to serve on the jury.

no argument on that.

Archived