Week 3 Notes - Tuesday Update (9/09/14)

RunInRed

Talking about the WRs, catch radius is really the biggest difference between Duke Williams and, for example, Ricardo Louis. Louis is a guy that, to this point in his career, needs the ball served to him just so (the UGA play notwithstanding... that was just a gift from above). Duke, on the other hand, catches dang near anything within three feet of his core. He just goes after the ball and snatches it. His catch radius is really, really impressive.

Coates is faster (without a doubt) and probably just as strong, but that's the area he needs to improve. The ball Nick put on him in the Arkansas game was a fairly routine grab for a guy of his caliber, but he did have to bend for it. Duke makes that catch. Sammie dropped it. Duke hauls in some of those jump balls Louis saw against SJSU. I'm hopeful that his assertiveness and practice habits rub off on our WRs. Melvin Ray seems to go get the ball as well, but Louis and Coates have so much natural athleticism. If they can learn to catch a "bad" or even "not perfect" ball with regularity, the sky is the limit for those two. If those two "get it", you won't hear a peep about Marshall's accuracy.

Duke and Melvin catch the ball with their hands while Coates and Louis are not strong at this and typically catch the ball with their body. IMO that's the only flaw holding Coates back from being unstoppable.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like NM but his passing accuracy will not improve much unless he has a hand transplant, his hands are small and he struggles with getting his hands on the laces. He is as good a passer as he's gunna get. We can improve his completion % by having him throw more short passes.

We get it. You don't have confidence in Marshall. You don't need to mention it in every thread.

It's what he does, that's Sevenlee for ya

This belittling opinions not held by the "in" set is getting worse. Sevenlee's point is not off the charts odd. "Don't post it in every thread" is the latest whining tool by those not agreeing with the opinion. guess what, if he (and others) think Nick's reached his limit, you will be reading that opinion AGAIN when the topic of Nick's improvement is raised. And it's raised a lot. Like my opinion re Ellis's ability as a coordinator. You don't like the opinion, comment or move on, nobody's forcing this board on you.

I just don't see the point in screaming your negative opinion at any chance you get. What's the reason? You(and others) have made your opinion loud and clear. It makes no sense, other than to just sound like a wet blanket, to just keep repeating it over and over.

I don't really care about joining the "can he pass/can't he pass" argument but I would like to just say this...

Here's a list of QB's over the last 20 years that were not necessarily famous for their passing skills during their college football careers.

Sure, they may have been serviceable (and some maybe even Pretty good) but none of them "Great":

FSU – Charlie Ward

Neb – Tommie Frazier

Neb - Brooks Berringer

Neb – Scott Frost

UT – Tee Martin

LSU – Matt Mauk

TX – Vince Young

FL - Chris Leak

FL - Tim Tebow

LSU - Jamarcus Russell

..and our own...

AU - Cameron Newton

They all had two things in common....

1) They were not known as all world passers (some not known for passing AT ALL) but they were known as "play-makers".

2) They were all QB's on Nat'l Championship teams.

I fall under the group that says hey, whether his footwork or hand size or decision making are all worthy of NFL consideration, I don't care. What I care about is that he was the leader of a team that was one silly 3 stooges defensive play away from a Nat'l Title last year and he is the current leader of a 2 and oh team that's ranked #5 in the nation and appears to be, quite frankly, unstoppable at this point in time.

I don't care if he's 8 - 18 for 150 yards per game the rest of the year if the Tigers can put up 350+ rushing yards and 40+ points per game. If they can do that, then the onus is on the defense to hold THEIR end of the bargain whether he is a NFL caliber passer or not.

I don't really care about joining the "can he pass/can't he pass" argument but I would like to just say this...

Here's a list of QB's over the last 20 years that were not necessarily famous for their passing skills during their college football careers.

Sure, they may have been serviceable (and some maybe even Pretty good) but none of them "Great":

FSU – Charlie Ward

Neb – Tommie Frazier

Neb - Brooks Berringer

Neb – Scott Frost

UT – Tee Martin

LSU – Matt Mauk

TX – Vince Young

FL - Chris Leak

FL - Tim Tebow

LSU - Jamarcus Russell

..and our own...

AU - Cameron Newton

They all had two things in common....

1) They were not known as all world passers (some not known for passing AT ALL) but they were known as "play-makers".

2) They were all QB's on Nat'l Championship teams.

I fall under the group that says hey, whether his footwork or hand size or decision making are all worthy of NFL consideration, I don't care. What I care about is that he was the leader of a team that was one silly 3 stooges defensive play away from a Nat'l Title last year and he is the current leader of a 2 and oh team that's ranked #5 in the nation and appears to be, quite frankly, unstoppable at this point in time.

I don't care if he's 8 - 18 for 150 yards per game the rest of the year if the Tigers can put up 350+ rushing yards and 40+ points per game. If they can do that, then the onus is on the defense to hold THEIR end of the bargain whether he is a NFL caliber passer or not.

That is it exactly. All I really want to see is the ability to make the play when it is needed and keep us from being totally one dimensional.

Chris leak and Russell were pretty much known for passing but I see your point.

Well, I did thrown in the caveat that some were "pretty good" but I don't think anybody ever mistook either of them for Peyton Manning ;)

That is it exactly. All I really want to see is the ability to make the play when it is needed and keep us from being totally one dimensional.

Indeed. We were considered "one-dimensional" last year, but it was clearly by choice. Some big pass plays were in there. The Iron Bowl talk is always about the Kick Six, but that pass to Coates before it was certainly huge. Without them, our rushing attack could have likely been slowed substantially by a few teams. All I have seen so far is what I would qualify as improvement in the passing game. Nick Marshall may never have a 37-40 with 400 yards passing game in his career, but he already showed us last year that he is certainly capable of making big plays on the ground and through the air.

Hell...the fact that alot of teams don't or won't respect him for his passing is a dangerous assumption to make on their part. Let them load the box continually. With the OL and WRs we have, it's only a matter of time before we make teams pay.

Hell...the fact that alot of teams don't or won't respect him for his passing is a dangerous assumption to make on their part. Let them load the box continually. With the OL and WRs we have, it's only a matter of time before we make teams pay.

You're damn right!

There ya' go! Exactly! I look at AU's current roster of receivers and see playmakers all over the place. AU's played two games.... by game 6, I'm willing to go out on a limb and predict that the nat'l outlets will be talking about one of the greatest receiving corps that college football has ever seen. I believe that after a few games of experience, coaching and "getting into the groove" all Nick will have to do is get the ball into the zip code and the receivers will go get it!

Chris leak and Russell were pretty much known for passing but I see your point.

Well, I did thrown in the caveat that some were "pretty good" but I don't think anybody ever mistook either of them for Peyton Manning ;)

OH, and btw... I wanted to add that Peyton Manning never even beat FLORIDA much less win a natty title...

You're damn right!

Yep!

(BTW, you're 'in' now, dan. Don't tell anyone, though!)

Archived