***Auburn vs. La Tech Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

I feel like a lot of you guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Auburn is going to be ok. The offensive line is trying to build chemist, cap, and Corey are figuring out how the line and receivers are gonna block, Marshall is putting up good numbers, and most importantly AUBURN ALWAYS plays down to teams. LSU. Night game. ESPN......yea they'll be ready for that. I'm not worried.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there are reasons to be concerned. I'm sure all involved would like to figure out the problems and fix them.

However, I hate seeing some of us turning into total Bammers. It's almost gotten to the point where we have to win every game, dominate it from start to finish, and no one makes any mistakes to be happy about a win. What a terrible way to live. It would have to suck every bit of enjoyment of watching our tigers play out of every single weekend.

If Gus believes Nick gives us the best chance to win, well guess what Nick haters? it really doesn't matter what you all say now does it?

That is the most tired and pathetic excuse ever used on a message board (and I prefer Nick as qb). Weren't you the same one using this lame argument last week or was that someone else? Either way, this is a message board, and if people can't share their opinions, there is no need in having a message board as we would all just be posting the same things just agreeing with every move the coaches make no matter what. I don't know about you, but I won't go anywhere near a board that freaking boring. Move along.

U move along! Truth hurts doesn't it?

I'm sorry, but what truth are you referring to? I said in my post that I prefer Nick as qb. The only other truth there is that this is a message board and we can either have opinions and discuss them or blindly agree with the coaches, thus making this board useless and boring. So tell me again, which truth hurts? And don't tell me something about Nick, I've already covered that twice now.

The truth I'm speaking of is that it's GUS that make the decisions on who plays and who don't, regardless of how many negative post is put in this board. Understand now?

I think there are reasons to be concerned. I'm sure all involved would like to figure out the problems and fix them.

However, I hate seeing some of us turning into total Bammers. It's almost gotten to the point where we have to win every game, dominate it from start to finish, and no one makes any mistakes to be happy about a win. What a terrible way to live. It would have to suck every bit of enjoyment of watching our tigers play out of every single weekend.

I can only speak for myself. I am not asking for 60 points or first downs every play. I am not even screaming for more big runs from Nick. I just want a few more +3 yard gains and sustained drives.

It really looks like we are playing down to the competition and not getting up

For games. Guess we will see next week.

Jeremy Johnson needs A LOT more playing time. Nick is having all kinds of problems in the past 2 games.

397 yards passing, with 5 touchdowns and 1 interception (which was the result of a deflected throw), as well as 151 yards rushing. I'd say he's doing alright...

Be honest. You *watched* the games. NM is not throwing very well. Even the catchable balls are often not placed well. The "to a spot" throws are too low, the slants are low and behind, and the long balls are over the wrong shoulder. We *should* have had 400 yards passing against KSU alone. NM is a warrior, but if an SEC calibre team stuffs our run, I see nothing that makes me belief that he can consistently move the offense against them through the air.

Okay, I'll be honest. Yes, I watched the games. Against K-State, he was 17 of 31 for 2 touchdowns and an interception. I remember there being at least three drops, one of which would have been a touchdown. Two of the other incompletions were very deep throws that he could have thrown better, but that at least he didn't leave in a spot where there was much chance of a pick. Had those drops not been made, he likely *would* have thrown for 300-350 yards. It also would have raised his completion percentage nearly ten points...and that's without throwing one bit better than he did. Yes, the receivers bailed him out a few times today, but it would have been a much bigger deal to have made the normal catches last week and not made the spectacular ones today.

But the thing is that there is more to playing quarterback than simply throwing the football. Even the mere threat of him running is a potent weapon, because it forces the defense to respect that threat, thereby opening passing lanes and allowing for more mediocre accuracy than would having a less mobile QB. JJ can run, but he's not nearly the dynamic playmaker with his feet that Marshall is.

Furthermore, listen to the quotes from the players. They believe in him. They follow him. What happens if Johnson usurps him as the starter? Would Nick still be able to have confidence as a QB, giving us two guys capable of winning in this conference? Or would it be debilitating and leave us up a creek without a paddle should anything happen to JJ?

That last point is far and away the most important, btw, because the players have to have faith that their QB can get the job done. And time after time after time, when it matters, Nick Marshall has gotten the job done. Jeremy projects very well as the future of the position at Auburn, but his only truly meaningful game experience is one half against Arkansas. Yes, of course, he played well, but then, Nick has played his game pretty well, too.

Jeremy Johnson needs A LOT more playing time. Nick is having all kinds of problems in the past 2 games.

397 yards passing, with 5 touchdowns and 1 interception (which was the result of a deflected throw), as well as 151 yards rushing. I'd say he's doing alright...

Be honest. You *watched* the games. NM is not throwing very well. Even the catchable balls are often not placed well. The "to a spot" throws are too low, the slants are low and behind, and the long balls are over the wrong shoulder. We *should* have had 400 yards passing against KSU alone. NM is a warrior, but if an SEC calibre team stuffs our run, I see nothing that makes me belief that he can consistently move the offense against them through the air.

Okay, I'll be honest. Yes, I watched the games. Against K-State, he was 17 of 31 for 2 touchdowns and an interception. I remember there being at least three drops, one of which would have been a touchdown. Two of the other incompletions were very deep throws that he could have thrown better, but that at least he didn't leave in a spot where there was much chance of a pick. Had those drops not been made, he likely *would* have thrown for 300-350 yards. It also would have raised his completion percentage nearly ten points...and that's without throwing one bit better than he did. Yes, the receivers bailed him out a few times today, but it would have been a much bigger deal to have made the normal catches last week and not made the spectacular ones today.

But the thing is that there is more to playing quarterback than simply throwing the football. Even the mere threat of him running is a potent weapon, because it forces the defense to respect that threat, thereby opening passing lanes and allowing for more mediocre accuracy than would having a less mobile QB. JJ can run, but he's not nearly the dynamic playmaker with his feet that Marshall is.

Furthermore, listen to the quotes from the players. They believe in him. They follow him. What happens if Johnson usurps him as the starter? Would Nick still be able to have confidence as a QB, giving us two guys capable of winning in this conference? Or would it be debilitating and leave us up a creek without a paddle should anything happen to JJ?

That last point is far and away the most important, btw, because the players have to have faith that their QB can get the job done. And time after time after time, when it matters, Nick Marshall has gotten the job done. Jeremy projects very well as the future of the position at Auburn, but his only truly meaningful game experience is one half against Arkansas. Yes, of course, he played well, but then, Nick has played his game pretty well, too.

Nice post. Thank you!

It really looks like we are playing down to the competition and not getting up

For games. Guess we will see next week.

Isn't that the thing? How up for this game could they have been? We all know what Nick can do as he has shown it time and again making plays to win games. We will see a better performance from everyone next week because they will all be dialed in. I guess we really have arrived when four touchdown wins engender this level of hand-wringing. Everything is in front of us and we have the team to win another SEC title if things go our way. Enjoy the win. WDE!

I'll preface this by saying that I believe that Nick should be our starter, and I think that he gives us the best chance to win. But he has been far from perfect. He has made some great passes thus far this season, but as a whole his accuracy only seems moderately improved from last season. Also, the drops argument is getting a little stale. Yes, there have been drops, but there will always be drops, and I don't think our WRs have dropped more than most other teams. That's just part of the game, and imagining what his stats would be like without drops doesn't do much good. Overall, think of WR play has actually been stellar thus far, and will only get better once Sammy is 100%. I believe that Marshall gives us the best chance to win, but his accuracy will need to improve for us if we want to win the SEC this year.

Nick has had his share of drops but the receivers (Quan, Duke and CJ particularly) made some fine catches today. That first touchdown pass to Quan was a thing of beauty. The O line may not have jelled and we have not had a real complete game on offense yet but you have to like the sheer number of weapons we have on offense. Lots of guys who can make impact plays. Preseason is over and its about to get fun.

Might sound dumb, but my biggest concern is the punting. Field position is huge in SEC games and it just doesn't seem AU has a consistent pin them deep threat at the moment.

I don't now if it is rookie nerves, lack of confidence or what, but the punting game has to be fixed. The big boys are rolling into town.

I wonder if the weird schedule has anything to do with our apparent offensive sluggishness the last 2 games. We had a Saturday off after 2 games in which the offense clicked pretty well, then a Thursday night game, then 9 days off until the next game. They may need to get into the Saturday to Saturday practice and game routine to start gelling.

I think it has been pretty clear that Malzahn has been saving Marshall on the zone-read most of the season. Until maybe the 2nd quarter today, it appeared that Marshall was instructed to keep it very seldom. And with K State and La Tech pinching down on the inside run, that doesn't leave a lot of room. Any version of the option only works if it truly is an option between the RB/QB, and once we started running it that way things were clicking more. I think the offense will play well against LSU because I think you'll see Marshall keeping it more and then loosening up the inside run for CAP.

Guest jojo1515

If Gus believes Nick gives us the best chance to win, well guess what Nick haters? it really doesn't matter what you all say now does it?

That is the most tired and pathetic excuse ever used on a message board (and I prefer Nick as qb). Weren't you the same one using this lame argument last week or was that someone else? Either way, this is a message board, and if people can't share their opinions, there is no need in having a message board as we would all just be posting the same things just agreeing with every move the coaches make no matter what. I don't know about you, but I won't go anywhere near a board that freaking boring. Move along.

I'm sorry, but what truth are you referring to? I said in my post that I prefer Nick as qb. The only other truth there is that this is a message board and we can either have opinions and discuss them or blindly agree with the coaches, thus making this board useless and boring. So tell me again, which truth hurts? And don't tell me something about Nick, I've already covered that twice now.

The truth I'm speaking of is that it's GUS that make the decisions on who plays and who don't, regardless of how many negative post is put in this board. Understand now?

Everybody that has ever watched any sporting event anywhere in the world knows that. It is impossible for that truth to hurt. Anybody age 5 and up already understands that everyone else already knows this as well. Reading comprehension and basic logic aren't your strong points are they? Again, this is two weeks in a row you've tried to convince people to stop posting their opinions on a message board because Gus makes the decisions. Again, everyone age 5 and up knows this. Again, for the THIRD TIME, nobody is coming to a message board where everybody just agrees with everything the coaches do. AGAIN, your argument is tired and lame. Please use a dictionary and a thesaurus if you are having trouble comprehending this. I'm done pointing out toddler-like observations to you.

Guest jojo1515

Let Johnson get his praise now because everybody will be calling for white next year. Just the way it goes

Yes!!

If it helps, I think White has the highest potential of any of our qbs.....:)

I think it has been pretty clear that Malzahn has been saving Marshall on the zone-read most of the season. Until maybe the 2nd quarter today, it appeared that Marshall was instructed to keep it very seldom. And with K State and La Tech pinching down on the inside run, that doesn't leave a lot of room. Any version of the option only works if it truly is an option between the RB/QB, and once we started running it that way things were clicking more. I think the offense will play well against LSU because I think you'll see Marshall keeping it more and then loosening up the inside run for CAP.

I'd agree with this. There has looked to be a small percentage of actual read plays called so far this season. I just hope Marshall and CAP/Grant have the chemistry to unleash it in it's full glory when it's needed.

The loss of Alex Kozan has been significant. Instead of only having to replace our LT, we replaced our LG with our RG; we replaced our RG with our RT; and we replaced our RT with our backup RT. Instead of replacing one position we replaced 4. Now with Miller's injury, we had to play another backup (Danzey)......

This is important. I saw a lot of pre-season comments about our high number of returning starters on the O-line. In fact, we had exactly ONE, the center, returning at the same position he played last year. People shouldn't be surprised that it's taken some time for the unit to click. Now, the unfortunate injury to Miller has caused another fruit-basket turnover there unless he can bounce back by Saturday.

All the injuries in the LaTech game come at a bad point in the season for us.

Well I don't see how you can say talk to Gus then voice the opinion that other players need more or less playing time, I mean wouldn't that fall under the talk to Gus notion as well? But that's my opinion you two can carry on

Well of course it is. Who here has said anything otherwise? So we can't have opinions about it?

I had a long post typed out but decided it might cross the line so I'll just leave it at this: war eagle6 , you've become my own, personal a4e. Don't ever change.

Well I don't see how you can say talk to Gus then voice the opinion that other players need more or less playing time, I mean wouldn't that fall under the talk to Gus notion as well? But that's my opinion you two can carry on

There are only a few players that get scrutinized for their play on the field, but our natty runner up qb gets it every freakin day! Gus knows and hear about it all the time. That's why he makes his statements about Nick being the best qb when the game is on the line. I don't see no one questioning him about that, do you?

I agree with most all the posted thoughts. Additionally our punting game is poor. It is hRd to believe that Hutch is worse than Carlson punting. I don't care if they put in the Aussy style punter, but I am ready for someone else to get a chance

Archived