***Auburn vs. La Tech Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick Marshall had a great game imo

He stepped up late. Still needs to work on consistency, but he showed the improvement we told of in the second half. I like how he ended

JJ impressed me in his little time. Came in cold made the check down instead of a stupid pass, right on the number. Made a pass on the run placed it exactly where it needed to be. Caught a high snap and threw the ball on the money on the screen pass which can be messed up if the rhythm isn't right

As my brother pointed out, I think last year our O line, h back and mason were our strengths. This year we are better in pass protection with some physical w receivers. I think that's why things look smoother with JJ in there.

Cap isn't bad but I don't think he's a special talent either

I think that's a pretty fair statement. I'd even say he's good, just not a special talent.

I still don't quite know what to make out of this team. They have yet to truly establish what their identity is. They have all the things they want right in front of them and the ability to bring all of that to fruition. They are just about a half a bubble off of plum.

Play Barber more. I've been saying it since this past spring. Looks like people are ever so slowly falling off the CAP bandwagon. Oline/Fulse should be absolutely embarrassed in their performance.

I still don't quite know what to make out of this team. They have yet to truly establish what their identity is. They have all the things they want right in front of them and the ability to bring all of that to fruition. They are just about a half a bubble off of plum.

Great post.

As my brother pointed out, I think last year our O line, h back and mason were our strengths. This year we are better in pass protection with some physical w receivers. I think that's why things look smoother with JJ in there.

This. We're not the same team and Gus needs to adapt.

Defense was impressive despite the starters missing. Defensive line played a pretty sound game overall but I keep sensing that something is going to click and they will completely dominate a game. Get Well Lawson!!! I will be short and sweet about offense this week. Blocking from fullbacks, receivers, and line must improve for us to have any success deep into this season. I do want to see Peyton Barber and Nick run a few read options just to see if there is a spark. WAR EAGLE

The loss of Alex Kozan has been significant. Instead of only having to replace our LT, we replaced our LG with our RG; we replaced our RG with our RT; and we replaced our RT with our backup RT. Instead of replacing one position we replaced 4. Now with Miller's injury, we had to play another backup (Danzey). Jordan Diamond was a heavily recruited OL that I was hoping would be a big contributor this year. But his injury-plagued season and off-season has hurt our depth. It's going to be crucial that our OL remains healthy and develops some chemistry. Without or inside running game, Gus' zone read offense with Marshall becomes ineffective.

Good win. The score is a bit misleading. I hope our guys just got banged up and that none of them miss any time. The meat of the schedule is upon us. Time to lace 'em up tight and get at it.

Injury update as I know it:

Frost, knee sprain. Initial tests negative. May get an MRI Monday. I think he will be fine.

Mckenzie, another stinger (similar to last year), day to day.

Duke and Sammie just banged up. Day to day.

I'm a little worried about pat miller. No new updates to post .

Thanks.

Play Barber more. I've been saying it since this past spring. Looks like people are ever so slowly falling off the CAP bandwagon. Oline/Fulse should be absolutely embarrassed in their performance.

I thought at the beginning of the season that he or the true freshman would be playing 1/2 the snaps by now. I'm not sure why Gus doesn't play one of them more, unless he wanted to give both CAP and Grant every opportunity. We need a running back that will hit the hole with speed because we do not have the blocking we had last year.

Agreed. We need to adapt.

Offense wasn't any more effective with JJ in there. The line is still the issue.

JJ only had two possessions. I don't think there is enough body of work to say either way.

Point is, it's not like suddenly the offense came to life with him in there. People want this to be a simple fix like "put Roc in" or "give JJ a shot." The issue is that the O-line needs to gel and hit their assignments and blocking reads correctly. Period. If they do that, any QB/RB combo we put back there will tear it up.

Good win. The score is a bit misleading. I hope our guys just got banged up and that none of them miss any time. The meat of the schedule is upon us. Time to lace 'em up tight and get at it.

Yes it is, and not in our favor.

For whatever reason, Malzahn's offenses at AU seem to start slow. In 2010 with Cam it took a few games to get things rolling. Last year, the offense didn't really look that polished (against a meaningful opponent anyways) until Texas A&M which was game #7. We MAY have one more shot next week against LSU for them to be a little sluggish and still be okay, but after that they need to get it together and in a hurry.

Archived