DE Recruiting

ALTiger

You all do realize all this recruiting great but underperformed Dline guys at Georgia over there were under Garners regime? That is not a key thing to point out without looking in the mirror now.

I've realized that from the day his employment at Auburn was announced. So far we can't tell if the new location will change player development or not. Recruiting not-so-great and under-performing will not make us happy, for certain.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we blaming UGA's inability to win championships on the performance of the defensive line? Is that what's happening?

Are we blaming UGA's inability to win championships on the performance of the defensive line? Is that what's happening?

That's part of it. How can you separate one facet of a team out if the overall results are the same year after year?

That's part of it. How can you separate one facet of a team out if the overall results are the same year after year?

Well, if that one facet of the team's production is very high, but the overall results of the team are low, then you can separate that facet of the team.

I think you can evaluate position groups. For example, I think you'd say Wisconsin has produced OL and RBs that are wildly successful. They've traditionally be a nightmare at QB (but for the Russell Wilson season), the lack playmakers on the outside, and they come and go as a defensive team. Those last three reasons are why they haven't won on a national level. Those first two reasons are the primary drivers for their success in the Big Ten.

Looking at UGA, was it the defensive line's fault that UF held them to 13 points in 2002 (in the only loss of the season)? I don't think you can just look at points allowed (or scored) as an indication of whether a group was successful or not. Context matters within a game, a season, or a program, but you'd be hard pressed to convince me Rodney Garner's defensive lines at UGA were disappointing or, especially, that they were a primary factor in UGA underachieving. Just looking at the UGA players currently in the NFL (excluding guys like Richard Seymour), 11 of the 37 are defensive linemen. Next, is linebacker with 6; offensive linemen with 5; defensive back with 4. In other words, they have produced almost twice as many pros on the defensive line as any other position.

Quote: "In other words, they have produced almost twice as many pros on the defensive line as any other position."

Indeed they have. Where were they when they were playing at UGA? I don't recall going into the Georgia game with a primary concern being their D-line. Hanging in the NFL after an ordinary college career doesn't reflect well on the college situation, does it?

It is my thinking that Garner was hired primarily as a recruiter. It's about time for that to bear some fruit. Were player development his forte we should be seeing a little more out of seniors Wright, Blackson, Bradley, Owens and Whitaker.

Quote: "In other words, they have produced almost twice as many pros on the defensive line as any other position."

Indeed they have. Where were they when they were playing at UGA? I don't recall going into the Georgia game with a primary concern being their D-line. Hanging in the NFL after an ordinary college career doesn't reflect well on the college situation, does it?

It is my thinking that Garner was hired primarily as a recruiter. It's about time for that to bear some fruit. Were player development his forte we should be seeing a little more out of seniors Wright, Blackson, Bradley, Owens and Whitaker.

Recruiting: Does he get credit for Adams and Lawson? Development: Did anyone see Ford being as high a draft pick coming out of college before last season when Garner was brought in?

Or has anyone watched Angelo Blackson? He should be All-SEC. It's not fair to lump him in with the rest of our underachievers. He's been a beast, and he's going to get notice by the NFL.

Also, if you didn't think UGA's DL was our top priority, you and I had a different view of those games. Richard Seymour was terrifying. David Pollack was one of the highest impact DL in the last 20 years in the SEC. Marcus Stroud blew up everything we attempted to do for three solid years. Charles Johnson had double digit sacks his senior year. We couldn't block him and neither could anyone else. Geno Atkins killed the interior line. The list is longer than my arm of impact defensive linemen during his tenure at UGA. They were consistently the most dominant position on the field for UGA, which I might add, was better than us the majority of his time (9-6 overall, including 8 wins in the last 12 games).

If you weren't scared of UGA's defensive line, I don't know what you were watching.

Quote: "If you weren't scared of UGA's defensive line, I don't know what you were watching.

We're 4-6 vs UGA over the past ten games, and with the exception of the terrible years of '11 and '12, we've scored plenty of points. No, their d-line wasn't what concerned me about the DullDawgs.

In those six losses, our point totals are: 15, 20, 13, 24, 7, and 0. So more often than not, their defense (on which the defensive line is, by far, the best unit) has kicked our butts.

In the wins, we scored: 24 (2004), 31 (2005), 49 (2010), and 43 (2013).

In other words, there are certain years where we light them on fire. Otherwise (2004 excepted), their defense (and defensive line) dominates the game and puts us to bed.

In those six losses, our point totals are: 15, 20, 13, 24, 7, and 0. So more often than not, their defense (on which the defensive line is, by far, the best unit) has kicked our butts.

In the wins, we scored: 24 (2004), 31 (2005), 49 (2010), and 43 (2013).

In other words, there are certain years where we light them on fire. Otherwise (2004 excepted), their defense (and defensive line) dominates the game and puts us to bed.

It's also worth mentioning that we lit almost every defense on fire in 2010 and 2013, so just because we put up 40+ doesn't mean that their DL was terrible those years.

Also remember, but for really freaking strange plays, we score 28 in 2005 and 37 in 2013 and lose both games. The UGA defense was bad in both of those with or without the big play. I just mean to point out that every Auburn fan should be terrified of Mark Richt, and any coach that was on his staff pretty much owns us.

Their DC worries me as he slowed down our rushing attack in the BCS championship game.

Umm. 232 yards rushing is not even remotely shutting a run game down.

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=340060002

He didn't say "shut" down, he said "slowed" down, and let's be honest, a mere 232 yards rushing was well below our season average :)

Their DC worries me as he slowed down our rushing attack in the BCS championship game.

He didn't say "shut" down, he said "slowed" down, and let's be honest, a mere 232 yards rushing was well below our season average :)

Nice catch. I read shut. Anyway that DC's defense just gave up 400 yards rushing versus UF FWIW.

Nice catch. I read shut. Anyway that DC's defense just gave up 400 yards rushing versus UF FWIW.

Yes they did, and that has me optimistic!

Archived