DE Recruiting

ALTiger

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mikey, I don't think what you're describing is particularly uncommon. Take the 2004 season as an example. Going into the year, we knew Eddins and Langenfeld would start. Outside of that we had a spot contributor in Marquis Gunn, an unproven rusher in Stanley McClover, and a redshirt freshman rusher in Quentin Groves. The last two had never played a snap. Is that appreciably different from having Carl Lawson, DaVonte Lambert, and Gimel President set in the rotation, but relying on unproven redshirts to provide the edge rushing punch?

Mikey, I don't think what you're describing is particularly uncommon. Take the 2004 season as an example. Going into the year, we knew Eddins and Langenfeld would start. Outside of that we had a spot contributor in Marquis Gunn, an unproven rusher in Stanley McClover, and a redshirt freshman rusher in Quentin Groves. The last two had never played a snap. Is that appreciably different from having Carl Lawson, DaVonte Lambert, and Gimel President set in the rotation, but relying on unproven redshirts to provide the edge rushing punch?

When President and Lambert are getting abused on a routine basis, it gives one pause. IF, Lawson makes a 100% recovery we may be ok there, which is a good thing because the DT position will be very thin.

I just do not understand why we have had trouble getting D-Lineman interested this recruiting season.

Perhaps after watching the AU defense play they are deciding to take their chances elsewhere? Routinely giving up 30+ points a game is not a great selling point.

Mikey, don't always agrr

I just do not understand why we have had trouble getting D-Lineman interested this recruiting season.

Perhaps after watching the AU defense play they are deciding to take their chances elsewhere? Routinely giving up 30+ points a game is not a great selling point.

Mikey, don't always agree with you but do on that. The best want to be coached by the best and play with the best. I do not think competition is a factor. Until we start coaching our guys up and start be competitive we will struggle. Our d has zero swagger and in year two of a system we should be seeing a better product and get top end players.

Well, we've had 2 years of opportunities coach up our defense and it hasn't happened yet. Oh wait, it's really only one year since we always take the 1st half of games off.

Mikey, don't always agrr

Mikey, don't always agree with you but do on that. The best want to be coached by the best and play with the best. I do not think competition is a factor. Until we start coaching our guys up and start be competitive we will struggle. Our d has zero swagger and in year two of a system we should be seeing a better product and get top end players.

I'm Listening. What do you think it is attributed to?

So, at DE next year we'll have untested players in Kennion, Andrew Williams and Thornton plus Lawson coming back from a knee injury. Add to that that "Most of the top guys aren't really interested in AU." and it's time to relax?

You should have added my favorite: "we'll be fine", as that seems to be the standard statement when things don't look good in any given area.

Agree. This kind of attitude reflects head in the sand syndrome. There is a problem here and all you have to do is contrast against our recruiting on the offensive side. Whether it's a perception or reality, our D coaches may not be highly considered by elite recruits or they don't put in the effort.

Let's not forget that we're not even 2 classes removed from signing 3 5* DLs in one class. I know that doesn't mean squat for the current cycle, and I'm on record as being rather concerned about our current DL recruiting (a concern that has become more acute as we've learned definitively that we're one of Carl Lawson's knees away from having absolutely no pass rush). I guess I just point that as a counter to the idea that this staff is incapable.

Chillax guys and wait tiul NSD to make any assessments and judgements. CRG may indeed have something up his sleeve with guys like Beckner and Payne who reports are AU is starting to make a push with both.

What about walker? Wasn't he in town this weekend?

Yes but he and his comments still have virtually every staff and recruiting analyst purely guessing on what he is thinking and where he will end up.

I think we get Walker just for the simple fact that UGA has so many D-linemen commits.

They're recruiting him at OLB not DE. What would help our chances is if Josh Sweat goes to UGA.

I think we get Walker just for the simple fact that UGA has so many D-linemen commits.

They're recruiting him at OLB not DE. What would help our chances is if Josh Sweat goes to UGA.

I'd rather them flip Arden Key than get Josh Sweat. I also wouldn't count Garner out on a guy like Natrez Patrick.

I'd rather them flip Arden Key than get Josh Sweat. I also wouldn't count Garner out on a guy like Natrez Patrick.

That would be an unreal defensive line class if all their commitments stay put and they also get Josh Sweat. I would probably take the fetal position and start crying.

It really doesn't matter much who the DullDawgs sign. Somebody (ESPN, SI ??) Did a ten year analysis of recruiting and UGA finished #1 in recruiting over a ten-year period. Little to show for it, and now the dream team is about to finish their four years with no dreams realized. Heart breaking, NOT!

It really doesn't matter much who the DullDawgs sign. Somebody (ESPN, SI ??) Did a ten year analysis of recruiting and UGA finished #1 in recruiting over a ten-year period. Little to show for it, and now the dream team is about to finish their four years with no dreams realized. Heart breaking, NOT!

Lol, I assume you think Jauntavius Johnson can take us to the playoffs

No, our defensive recruiting will not take us anywhere if it doesn't perk up. If we had just a few of the players Georgia has beaten us out for over the past several years we'd be sittin' good. If we are going to fail to sign a talented player we're better off having him go to UGA where he'll under perform instead of somewhere that he might actually hurt us.

Our poor defensive recruiting was not the point of my remark, UGA'a failure to get much good out of their talent was the point.

Georgia gets plenty of stud defensive players and has not done much on the field with them in terms of titles. I certainly would loved to have had a few. One on particular is ray drew. We could really use him now.

No, our defensive recruiting will not take us anywhere if it doesn't perk up. If we had just a few of the players Georgia has beaten us out for over the past several years we'd be sittin' good. If we are going to fail to sign a talented player we're better off having him go to UGA where he'll under perform instead of somewhere that he might actually hurt us.

Our poor defensive recruiting was not the point of my remark, UGA'a failure to get much good out of their talent was the point.

exactly

It really doesn't matter much whoon board the DullDawgs sign. Somebody (ESPN, SI ??) Did a ten year analysis of recruiting and UGA finished #1 in recruiting over a ten-year period. Little to show for it, and now the dream team is about to finish their four years with no dreams realized. Heart breaking, NOT!

Well I was being sarcastic when I said if Georgia signed that big defensive line class I would cry. I said that because of our struggles at recruiting D lineman while Georgia can sneeze and DL recruits hop on board. I in no way meant Georgia would be more successful than Auburn on the field with their DL class .Just to clarify that Mikey.

UGA is the new FSU. It is where 5 star recruits go to die. I agree completely.

Problem is they get so da#m many of them. CRG needs to step it up. That is why we hired him right?

Archived