Peyton Barber

milehighfan

Random thoughts, based on the last couple pages:

-Saying that Barber, who will be in his 3rd year in our system next year, will have trouble overtaking Kerryon Johnson- currently a high school senior- on the depth chart ignores the value of experience in the offense and in the SEC, and also significantly discredits Barber's talent while lending a little too much credit to recruiting analysis.

-Saying that it would be a shame to lose Barber because he may or may not get significant PT next season is odd to me. On one hand, it's a little insulting to Barber, IMO, to suggest that he doesn't have what it takes to stick it out. On another hand, if he really isn't good enough to play, then why would we want him to waste his time here?

-Further to that: Ben Tate got drafted in the 2nd round. Tre Mason got drafted in the 3rd round. CAP will get drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. Jovon Robinson and Roc Thomas will get drafted in those rounds or better (unless they get hurt, get in trouble or otherwise fail, in which case Peyton Barber will be getting more carries and all of this will be moot). Peyton knows that this offense puts RBs in the league. He will probably stick around. Again, if he doesn't, then nobody loses. We have better RBs and he can go somewhere else and earn more carries.

-Let's keep in mind that the dude is a RS FR. If Jovon is as good as advertised and Roc continues to progress on his current schedule, they'll both be gone by Barber's SR year.

-As others have said, he is not getting more carries because the coaches who have already taken us to 1 national title game and who have us squarely in the hunt for a second consecutive one don't think he should be. I understand a passing curiosity in why they've made that decision, but I don't understand much thought on the subject beyond that.

-Back to CAP. He is leading the SEC in rushing. His YPC increases in the 4th quarter. He just ran wild on the best defense in the country. Why, exactly, are we wanting to give his carries to somebody else?

-Please stop assigning roles to our RBs based on negligible differences in their dimensions. Ben Tate, Mike Dyer, Tre Mason, Cameron Artis-Payne, Roc Thomas and Peyton Barber all have the same "role", which happens to share the same name as their "position", which is "running back". McCalebb and Grant are exceptions, not the rule (and even Corey, who is big and strong enough to play the position, was given every chance to succeed at running back; he's just clearly not as good at it as others).

-Final thought: just relax. We are kicking butt in the run game yet again. We are fully loaded at RB for the foreseeable future. Peyton actually has a pretty clear path to PT, if he's willing to wait his turn. The RB position at Auburn, like the QB position, is something to do freaking backflips and cartwheels over. There is zero bad here. These are glorious days, my friends. Enjoy them, for they won't be here forever. Not even at RBU.

The 2009 season is the only year I can remember where Malzahn didn't really utilize at least three runners. Next year, Jeremy isn't going to shoulder the same load Nick shoulders in the run game. We might throw a bit more, but there will be more carries available. With Grant and CAP graduating, that's even more work to be distributed. Roc is going to have a role. Louis and/or Truitt will have a role (especially in four-wide sets). Jovon Robinson likely has a role, but that doesn't foreclose Barber getting carries. If he's getting touches as a Sophomore, he'd be crazy to leave.

I would love to see Barber get 4-6 carries this week. Who knows, he might be a hidden talent just waiting for his chance to show his goods.

Everyone talks about Roc, Jovon, and Peyton Barber next year, but everyone also forgets about Kam Pettway. Straight up baller who came out of high school severely underrated. He'll get plenty of playtime next year I promise.

-Saying that Barber, who will be in his 3rd year in our system next year, will have trouble overtaking Kerryon Johnson- currently a high school senior- on the depth chart ignores the value of experience in the offense and in the SEC, and also significantly discredits Barber's talent while lending a little too much credit to recruiting analysis.

-Saying that it would be a shame to lose Barber because he may or may not get significant PT next season is odd to me. On one hand, it's a little insulting to Barber, IMO, to suggest that he doesn't have what it takes to stick it out. On another hand, if he really isn't good enough to play, then why would we want him to waste his time here?

-Further to that: Ben Tate got drafted in the 2nd round. Tre Mason got drafted in the 3rd round. CAP will get drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. Jovon Robinson and Roc Thomas will get drafted in those rounds or better (unless they get hurt, get in trouble or otherwise fail, in which case Peyton Barber will be getting more carries and all of this will be moot). Peyton knows that this offense puts RBs in the league. He will probably stick around. Again, if he doesn't, then nobody loses. We have better RBs and he can go somewhere else and earn more carries.

-Let's keep in mind that the dude is a RS FR. If Jovon is as good as advertised and Roc continues to progress on his current schedule, they'll both be gone by Barber's SR year.

-As others have said, he is not getting more carries because the coaches who have already taken us to 1 national title game and who have us squarely in the hunt for a second consecutive one don't think he should be. I understand a passing curiosity in why they've made that decision, but I don't understand much thought on the subject beyond that.

-Back to CAP. He is leading the SEC in rushing. His YPC increases in the 4th quarter. He just ran wild on the best defense in the country. Why, exactly, are we wanting to give his carries to somebody else?

-Please stop assigning roles to our RBs based on negligible differences in their dimensions. Ben Tate, Mike Dyer, Tre Mason, Cameron Artis-Payne, Roc Thomas and Peyton Barber all have the same "role", which happens to share the same name as their "position", which is "running back". McCalebb and Grant are exceptions, not the rule (and even Corey, who is big and strong enough to play the position, was given every chance to succeed at running back; he's just clearly not as good at it as others).

-Final thought: just relax. We are kicking butt in the run game yet again. We are fully loaded at RB for the foreseeable future. Peyton actually has a pretty clear path to PT, if he's willing to wait his turn. The RB position at Auburn, like the QB position, is something to do freaking backflips and cartwheels over. There is zero bad here. These are glorious days, my friends. Enjoy them, for they won't be here forever. Not even at RBU.

-To say that it would be a shame to lose PB if he doesn't see playing time is certainly not an insult to him, in fact it is just the opposite. It says he thinks he is a good enough back to play a bigger role and he believes in himself enough to seek that playing time somewhere where he will get a chance to show it.

-It would be a shame for AU because we may lose a very good RB and you just never know when an over crowded position suddenly becomes less crowded. Just because we may have an abundance right now doesn't mean we wouldn't be letting one just as good, or better, get away. The discussion was not whether Auburn would be ok, it will, it was about PB.

-Coaches have to make personnel decisions all the time. Sometimes it's based on who they are comfortable with and sometimes it's based on experience. It doesn't mean they always have the best at a position out there and the reasons may have nothing to do with any other specific player. Given the talent, a player getting a chance has more to do with his success than almost anything.

-Saying that all these backs play the same role, save McCaleeb and Grant, is just not the case. If you think a 195 lb back like Roc and a 225 lb back like Barber can play the same role between the tackles, you may want to think some more about that. As a primary role, Roc couldn't stand up to that kind of inside pounding the way a Barber, Pettway or a Robinson could and can.

-CAP is doing an outstanding job this year. Considering all the more important phases of the position such as knowledge of the offense, experience, pass protection, ball protection, running ability, power and adequate speed, he is the best overall RB out there.

-To say that it would be a shame to lose PB if he doesn't see playing time is certainly not an insult to him, in fact it is just the opposite. It says he thinks he is a good enough back to play a bigger role and he believes in himself enough to seek that playing time somewhere where he will get a chance to show it.

-It would be a shame for AU because we may lose a very good RB and you just never know when an over crowded position suddenly becomes less crowded. Just because we may have an abundance right now doesn't mean we wouldn't be letting one just as good, or better, get away. The discussion was not whether Auburn would be ok, it will, it was about PB.

-Coaches have to make personnel decisions all the time. Sometimes it's based on who they are comfortable with and sometimes it's based on experience. It doesn't mean they always have the best at a position out there and the reasons may have nothing to do with any other specific player. Given the talent, a player getting a chance has more to do with his success than almost anything.

-Saying that all these backs play the same role, save McCaleeb and Grant, is just not the case. If you think a 195 lb back like Roc and a 225 lb back like Barber can play the same role between the tackles, you may want to think some more about that. As a primary role, Roc couldn't stand up to that kind of inside pounding the way a Barber, Pettway or a Robinson could and can.

-CAP is doing an outstanding job this year. Considering all the more important phases of the position such as knowledge of the offense, experience, pass protection, ball protection, running ability, power and adequate speed, he is the best overall RB out there.

Wow! I'm just shocked to see an actual rational conversation! Not that I don't expect rationality from the two of you; it's just seemed to be severely lacking around here recently. Well done, gents.

His time will come..just like Cap had to wait until this season to take the full load, Barber will have a role next season with Roc. Gus is going with hot hands now, like he did with Tre last year. Two seniors ahead of him and a 5 star frosh with a different style. Next season he will definitely be in play for more PT

Wow! I'm just shocked to see an actual rational conversation! Not that I don't expect rationality from the two of you; it's just seemed to be severely lacking around here recently. Well done, gents.

Hah! Well then I'd better start throwing rocks :)

IronMan70, that's all fair. I'm pretty sure we strongly agree about depth. And, to clarify, what I find insulting is the idea that Peyton would bounce just because he doesn't think he'll get a ton of carries as a sophomore. (Not sure if you ever said that, but it has come up and it does often. Generally speaking, I don't get this notion that many fans have that any player who doesn't see immediate PT is just going to transfer. Do we even average 1 such transfer a year? Again, not directed at you, but when you recruit at a high level, even 4*s have to earn their reps. Welcome to having an elite football program, gang!)

The only thing I really disagree with is Roc's ability to be an every-down RB at his current size. Jamaal Charles, who gets more carries than the vast majority of other *NFL* backs, is listed at 199. Looking at it another way: if CAP were to go down, who's the next man up? I'm going with the guy who was getting the next-most carries, who I'm also guessing is the guy the coaches feel most capable of being a lead back. There are only two things keeping Roc from being our every-down back, IMO, and they are 1) a lack of experience and 2) Cameron Artis-Payne.

That was really the only thing I disagreed with as well. Roc has plenty of size to be an every-down back. Saying he can't hold up is just guess work. He's bigger right now than Chris Johnson ever was, and that guy held up just fine. Another example closer to home, Cadillac was better as a banger than Ronnie. The only injury he ever had that even indicated that his body couldn't take the pounding was the collarbone injury his freshman year. The broken ankle had nothing to do with being an every down guy. It just broke. The knee injuries were all in space.

Roc can be an every-down back.

It is a crying shame Auburn has all these tailback problems. We need to recruit better. ;)

Sucks to be Running Back U... ;D

That was really the only thing I disagreed with as well. Roc has plenty of size to be an every-down back. Saying he can't hold up is just guess work. He's bigger right now than Chris Johnson ever was, and that guy held up just fine. Another example closer to home, Cadillac was better as a banger than Ronnie. The only injury he ever had that even indicated that his body couldn't take the pounding was the collarbone injury his freshman year. The broken ankle had nothing to do with being an every down guy. It just broke. The knee injuries were all in space.

I agree with you and McLoofus that Roc can be an every-down back (Walter Payton wasn't huge in body, just in spirit).

But I didn't take IronMan to be making an absolute claim (Roc can't be an every-down back), but rather a relative one (a back built like Roc can't stand up to that role as easily as one with an additional 25-30 pounds).

I think we need to remember that Roc is still maturing. I have little doubt that he'll eventually assume the role of every-down back and get plenty of runs between the tackles. If we have some other backs who can spell him occasionally, so much the better!

How I interpreted IronMan's comments were that Roc can't be an every-down back at his current size. If I misunderstood, then my bad. If I didn't misunderstand, then I disagree. Either way, it's a popular misconception that more mass necessarily makes you better suited to running between the tackles, whether you're talking about immediate success or longevity.

We probably won't find out anyway. Unless CAP gets hurt, Roc will probably be 7-8 lbs heavier before he plays first chair.

I agree with you and McLoofus that Roc can be an every-down back (Walter Payton wasn't huge in body, just in spirit).

But I didn't take IronMan to be making an absolute claim (Roc can't be an every-down back), but rather a relative one (a back built like Roc can't stand up to that role as easily as one with an additional 25-30 pounds).

I think we need to remember that Roc is still maturing. I have little doubt that he'll eventually assume the role of every-down back and get plenty of runs between the tackles. If we have some other backs who can spell him occasionally, so much the better!

Yep, that's what I meant, as of right now. I also was referring specifically to running between the tackles. This will change when he adds more dense muscle mass as he matures and goes through strength training. If people remember, that is exactly what happened with Tre from his Freshman to Junior years.

Hah! Well then I'd better start throwing rocks :)

IronMan70, that's all fair. I'm pretty sure we strongly agree about depth. And, to clarify, what I find insulting is the idea that Peyton would bounce just because he doesn't think he'll get a ton of carries as a sophomore. (Not sure if you ever said that, but it has come up and it does often. Generally speaking, I don't get this notion that many fans have that any player who doesn't see immediate PT is just going to transfer. Do we even average 1 such transfer a year? Again, not directed at you, but when you recruit at a high level, even 4*s have to earn their reps. Welcome to having an elite football program, gang!)

The only thing I really disagree with is Roc's ability to be an every-down RB at his current size. Jamaal Charles, who gets more carries than the vast majority of other *NFL* backs, is listed at 199. Looking at it another way: if CAP were to go down, who's the next man up? I'm going with the guy who was getting the next-most carries, who I'm also guessing is the guy the coaches feel most capable of being a lead back. There are only two things keeping Roc from being our every-down back, IMO, and they are 1) a lack of experience and 2) Cameron Artis-Payne.

Yes, we strongly agree on depth. No, I didn't refer to Barber's Soph year or any specific year. My comments are directed at a situation that might dictate a heavy dose of between the tackle carries. I think Roc's muscle mass is a little too lean right now, to take that kind of pounding on a consistent basis.

Again with the rational discussion! Love it!

One more point -- I think CAP is playing lights out right now. But I would still not be opposed to seeing more of Barber and Grant. I really like the cross-buck action plays Stat has been highlighting, and they give us a chance to get 2 backs on the field at the same time. Would be happy to see more of that, in the first half, especially, when the plays are scripted.

Archived