What did we do to the refs?

Johndunc

We do get plenty of bad calls go against us. And SEC officials do seem to be among the worst in college football. And, for some reason, it does seem to be all but impossible to get a holding call go our way in J-H. But in all honesty the refs miss some of our guys holding also, and we get a few bad calls go our way...even though it does seem like far more go against us.

I attribute it to terrible officiating more than rigged officiating. And I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but I've also noticed that high school refs in Alabama are dumb as bricks. I've seen them call chop blocking on the defense, roughing the passer on the offense, and other such impossible calls.

If the SEC is getting their officials by moving them up from some of the Alabama high school refs then I can see how they come by their incompetence honestly.

You do realize that its illegal for ANYBODY on the field to chop block. That rule (like most others) is not exclusively for the offense.

We do get plenty of bad calls go against us. And SEC officials do seem to be among the worst in college football. And, for some reason, it does seem to be all but impossible to get a holding call go our way in J-H. But in all honesty the refs miss some of our guys holding also, and we get a few bad calls go our way...even though it does seem like far more go against us.

I attribute it to terrible officiating more than rigged officiating. And I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but I've also noticed that high school refs in Alabama are dumb as bricks. I've seen them call chop blocking on the defense, roughing the passer on the offense, and other such impossible calls.

If the SEC is getting their officials by moving them up from some of the Alabama high school refs then I can see how they come by their incompetence honestly.

You do realize that its illegal for ANYBODY on the field to chop block. That rule (like most others) is not exclusively for the offense.

According to the final ruling in that game -- remember this is Alabama High School, not NCAA -- the D cannot commit chop blocks and thus cannot be called for them. There may be some other offense similar to that they can be called for but it's called something else.

I know the offense can't be called for roughing the passed, college or high school.

According to the final ruling in that game -- remember this is Alabama High School, not NCAA -- the D cannot commit chop blocks and thus cannot be called for them. There may be some other offense similar to that they can be called for but it's called something else.

I know the offense can't be called for roughing the passed, college or high school.

I'm very much aware its alabama high school. You are misinterpreting that statement in bold. The Defense cannot commit chop blocks...meaning they are ILLEGAL. They are ILLEGAL for anybody and everybody on the field. It's a 15 yard penalty. From the high school rule book:

Rule 9-3-6

ART. 6 A player shall not chop block. (note there is no distinction here for offense or defense. It simply says a player, meaning it applies to everybody on the field.)

Oh and for the record, the rule in NCAA is EXACTLY THE SAME...It's illegal for anybody on the field to commit a chop block.

Most of the penalty calls against AU have been correct IMO. There have been some pi calls that were nit-picky and some may have been phantom but for the most part they have been correct according to the rules. Poor Shon Coleman could probably be called for holding on most plays. My concern this year is the seemingly unequal calling of pi and holding. I just hope that the Iron Bowl is called equally good or bad - JUST EQUAL.

Well, I'll say this about the idea that the refs have been particularly bad for Auburn this season -- maybe. But I watched the LSU-aTm game yesterday, and both teams had some real beefs with the officiating. There were some questionable PI calls on both sides, many missed holding calls, and a huge missed offsides that ended aTm's chances at the end of the game. All in all, if I were a fan of either team (though especially aTm, since they lost), I could say the refs cost them some points or even the game.

I don't know about y'all, but I don't watch other games the same way I watch Auburn games. I live and die with every snap of an Auburn game. With other games, there are normally multiple games happening at the same time, and I often switch around. I just happened to watch the entire aTm-LSU game last night, since I knew TCU would beat Texas and didn't really care about the NFL game. That's what allowed me to see that the officiating was just as bad in the game last night as it has been in any Auburn game I've seen this year. It was also just as good. Don't know if y'all have watched a PAC12 game recently, but the SEC refs are WAY better. Just sayin'.....

The no call defensive off-side penalty on LSU was probably the worst call I have seen in a long time. It is only a matter of time before replays will be more extensively used to get it right. Now that we have the technology to do this, the sooner the better.

The no call defensive off-side penalty on LSU was probably the worst call I have seen in a long time. It is only a matter of time before replays will be more extensively used to get it right. Now that we have the technology to do this, the sooner the better.

I highly doubt we'll ever see that happen. The games are long enough already. If we stopped it like your saying the games would take upwards of 5 hours. That simply isn't going to happen.

Well, I'll say this about the idea that the refs have been particularly bad for Auburn this season -- maybe. But I watched the LSU-aTm game yesterday, and both teams had some real beefs with the officiating. There were some questionable PI calls on both sides, many missed holding calls, and a huge missed offsides that ended aTm's chances at the end of the game. All in all, if I were a fan of either team (though especially aTm, since they lost), I could say the refs cost them some points or even the game.

I don't know about y'all, but I don't watch other games the same way I watch Auburn games. I live and die with every snap of an Auburn game. With other games, there are normally multiple games happening at the same time, and I often switch around. I just happened to watch the entire aTm-LSU game last night, since I knew TCU would beat Texas and didn't really care about the NFL game. That's what allowed me to see that the officiating was just as bad in the game last night as it has been in any Auburn game I've seen this year. It was also just as good. Don't know if y'all have watched a PAC12 game recently, but the SEC refs are WAY better. Just sayin'.....

Yep; I was at that game; my daughter is an Aggie. It was horrendous....I've never seen a game with as many officiating screw ups. They threw and picked a flag up 5 different times; missed calls; made non existent calls and yes; while A&M got the short end of the deal; there were enough bad calls for LSU to grouse about as well.

As the game has become more dependent on instant replay; the quality of on the field officiating has gotten progressively worse. I think they are directly related. Notice how many times now ref's just won't make a call until they've looked around for a committee decision. Notice the number of multi-official conferences that happen now on seemingly simple calls. You would never have seen this behavior 20 years ago....and certainly not the poor quality of officiating. I think instant replay has been one of the worse developments in football. It needs to be pulled way back to the way it was originally envisioned...personally I'd get rid of it altogether. I'd also eliminate 2 officials and cut it down to the pre-1983 level. More officials just means more bystanders on the field to screw it up.

A lot of bad calls except shon Coleman has gotten away with more holding than he has been called for.

Dude has got to learn to move his feet. His holds make it look like his feet are cemented in concrete. He can do much better than that

Yep; I was at that game; my daughter is an Aggie. It was horrendous....I've never seen a game with as many officiating screw ups. They threw and picked a flag up 5 different times; missed calls; made non existent calls and yes; while A&M got the short end of the deal; there were enough bad calls for LSU to grouse about as well.

As the game has become more dependent on instant replay; the quality of on the field officiating has gotten progressively worse. I think they are directly related.

Very little has changed with instant replay since it was implemented, so the game is not any more dependent on instant replay than it was when instant replay was implemented.

Notice how many times now ref's just won't make a call until they've looked around for a committee decision.
That's simply not true either. Not one time has an official ever done this...EVER. This is just making up something to help make a point.
Notice the number of multi-official conferences that happen now on seemingly simple calls.

When multiple officials throw a flag, one official has no idea what the other officials flag is for. It's making sure they both have the same thing or if they have something different. They have to sort it out before they can announce a penalty. Just because it may seem simple to a viewer on tv doesn't mean it is. Watching on TV you never see the entire field.

You would never have seen this behavior 20 years ago....and certainly not the poor quality of officiating.

Actually when multiple officials throw a flag on the same play its always been exactly the same, yes even 20 years ago. That hasn't changed and won't change.

I think instant replay has been one of the worse developments in football. It needs to be pulled way back to the way it was originally envisioned...personally I'd get rid of it altogether.

I think you would be in a very small minority on this. Instant replay gets WAY MORE RIGHT than they ever get wrong. Replay WORKS. Pull it back?? Very little if anything has changed in our replay is used since it was implemented. Give me an example of how its changed since it was implemented? I'm curious what you think has changed. Replay was put in place to correct obvious mistakes and its done that. Getting rid of it completely would be a colossally stupid thing to do given the amount of money that's at stake in today's game. First you complain about the quality of officiating then you want to take away the one thing set up to correct a human mistake. That's pretty stupid if you ask me.

I'd also eliminate 2 officials and cut it down to the pre-1983 level. More officials just means more bystanders on the field to screw it up.

Again, extremely contradictory since you think the quality of officiating is so bad. If that's the case the last thing that would help would be to cut 2 officials off the field. The players are bigger, stronger and faster than they were pre-1983 and your solution is to reduce the number of officials on the field? That would be stupid and a complete disaster. Clearly you've never been on the field and have no idea how difficult it is to cover the entire field. You would be totally eliminating two officials down field and there's no telling how much would get missed at that point. Then fans would complain that this call was obvious and should have been called but because of the ridiculous idea to eliminate those two officials, nobody sees it happen. Then we are right back to the officials are cheating mantra.

First you want everything called correctly then you want to eliminate two officials from the field AND eliminate Instant Replay? Wow... There's a whole lot of FAIL in that thought process.

Not sure what movie, but Gus needs to run a crossing route and drill the ref into the dirt. Let them know if they call crap calls, we take them out.

congrats. That's probably the biggest bush league post I've ever seen on here. Fortunately Auburn and the coaching staff have a much higher standard than you do. I hope you don't have any kids, because if you are teaching them like this, they are in for a life behind bars. Grow up.

Archived