Per Jay G. Tate

DyeHardAllTheWay

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awrigh ... I'll put it down. I am hesitant about muschamp. I don't have any facts or figures ... Just a general uneasiness.

I've only seen a couple people post this. People ... Give me the pros and cons of why he is/isn't a good hire. Personality and off field issues are off the table for the moment.

X's and O's ... Facts and figures.

Simple, when he was at Auburn last tim we had a good D. He has already proven it at Auburn on the field. He may or may not get the job but there is little doubt he is a very good DC.

Fwiw, 5 star DE Byron Cowart, expected to go to Florida, just announced he is visiting Auburn next month...

Get excited when I hear stuff like this. =) Hope it all pans out.

What we liked about Muschamp as a DC was his passion and chest bumping with players. If you watched the FSU Florida game that was the old Muschamp. While he was a Florida their D was always top of the shelf it was just the O that killed him at Florida. He would make a heck of a good DC at Auburn with the GUS O helping his Defense instead of hurting it.

If we do get him it won't be an overnight improvement like so many always think will happen. It takes time and recruiting to build a great D and the standards for Great D are different in todays game then in the past.

Problem with a guy like Muschamp who has been a HC is that he probably wants to be one again soon and would possibly be using AU as a stepping stool to a new HC job. We need some stability....someone who will be here more than 2 years.

In the coaching world 2 years is about the norm now. Gus can't afford to whiff on this one. Boom can come in and stabilize things and maybe by then, someone on the staff would be ready to step up and assume the role of DC or Gus can go out and find another candidate if need be.

We have had new coaching staffs every two years for a while and all we got out of it was bad defense and players who struggled to learn a new system every couple years. It's not marked in stone that coaches have to change that often...and I hate for AU to just be an audition for a guy looking for a HC job....we've been through that twice in recent years, once with Muschamp who like Chiz thought Texas would give him a better shot at a head coaching job.

What we liked about Muschamp as a DC was his passion and chest bumping with players. If you watched the FSU Florida game that was the old Muschamp. While he was a Florida their D was always top of the shelf it was just the O that killed him at Florida. He would make a heck of a good DC at Auburn with the GUS O helping his Defense instead of hurting it.

If we do get him it won't be an overnight improvement like so many always think will happen. It takes time and recruiting to build a great D and the standards for Great D are different in todays game then in the past.

Problem with a guy like Muschamp who has been a HC is that he probably wants to be one again soon and would possibly be using AU as a stepping stool to a new HC job. We need some stability....someone who will be here more than 2 years.

In the coaching world 2 years is about the norm now. Gus can't afford to whiff on this one. Boom can come in and stabilize things and maybe by then, someone on the staff would be ready to step up and assume the role of DC or Gus can go out and find another candidate if need be.

We have had new coaching staffs every two years for a while and all we got out of it was bad defense and players who struggled to learn a new system every couple years. It's not marked in stone that coaches have to change that often...and I hate for AU to just be an audition for a guy looking for a HC job....we've been through that twice in recent years, once with Muschamp who like Chiz thought Texas would give him a better shot at a head coaching job.

a coach that is not trying to climb the coaching ladder looks like Ellis Johnson.

Dave Wommack has been pretty good at Ole Miss. By most accounts, he's not looking to be a head coach. He's about 60 and happy to coach defense. Seems to work okay for him.

I do not have a way to confirm but was told by someone that has connections inside the program if it is Muschamp it won't be in the next day or so that he his is vacationing in the Carribean?!?!?!?

a coach that is not trying to climb the coaching ladder looks like Ellis Johnson.

and a coach who is primarily interested in climbing the ladder looks like Muschamp ...has a couple good seasons with someone else's players and is then gone before anyone figures out that he can't teach or recruit. Like in business...you have to watch out for job jumpers in the coaching business too.

I do not have a way to confirm but was told by someone that has connections inside the program if it is Muschamp it won't be in the next day or so that he his is vacationing in the Carribean?!?!?!?

Wouldn't you?

Every HC started out as an assistant coach and worked his way up the ladder. The top coordinators are always going to be in demand to be a head coach. Now Gus is essentially his own offensive coordinator but even so he relies on Rhett for a lot. He's going to get a shot at a job within the next year or two I would imagine. The best thing you can do is have someone on your staff that is ready to step up and continue with what you already have. It doesn't always work out that way. If Gus doesn't get this right then his own neck will be in the noose.

i've heard that too about him being on vacation in the carribean this week if thats true and he is the guy we probably wont hear announcement till this weekend at the latest

Dave Wommack has been pretty good at Ole Miss. By most accounts, he's not looking to be a head coach. He's about 60 and happy to coach defense. Seems to work okay for him.

How many guys like that are out there?

How many guys like that are out there?

Probably a good number of them....much different skills being the HC, dealing with politics, school admin, donors, etc. and some people just don't want the hassle I expect.

JMO but Muschamp is like Chiz in a way...their ambitions seem to have exceeded their management skills....maybe with Kiffin too. Lots of good Coordinators want to be HCs but most of them don't work out very well at it....give a little thought to it and I bet you can name a dozen pretty quickly.

Off the top of my head. Bud Foster fits the bill. Chief Chavis fits that description. Mickey Andrews was that kind of guy.

Off the top of my head. Bud Foster fits the bill. Chief Chavis fits that description. Mickey Andrews was that kind of guy.

I stand corrected. Just bitterness clouding my judgment I suppose.

Crazy how the common denominator is always Houston Nutt.

Wonder if ESPN will ever do a 30 For 30 on him?

Yes. He was. He just had other aspirations.

Others that fit: Dick Bumpas at TCU. He's been in that role for about 10 years. Seems happy with it and does a good job.

It really seemed like Auburn and Ellis and Gus had a nice fit. Through the first half of the season, you could see the progress. From the awful 2012 year to a more confident/higher effort group in 2013 to a competent, above average group in 2014. Seemed like we were on the path. Then, the wheels fell off the wagon. You can't give up 55 to Bama and keep your job. You just can't. Unfortunate, but like he said, it's a results business. It didn't work out.

maybe Im mistaken but it seemed to me the wheels started to come off right around the time of Whiteheads suspension. The team was never the same after that.

maybe Im mistaken but it seemed to me the wheels started to come off right around the time of Whiteheads suspension. The team was never the same after that.

Agree...more going on there than we know IMO...

Tubberville's DCs and tenures:

John Lovett: 1999-2001 (3 Seasons)

Gene Chizik: 2002-2004 (3 Seasons)

David Gibbs: 2005 (1 Season)

Will Muschamp: 2006–2007 (2 Seasons)

Paul Rhoads: 2008 (1 Season)

Average Tenure: 2 Seasons. Yet we had an era of strong defenses. The reason is we had a defensive minded coach who hired someone who could carry out his approach to defense--the DC hire fit Auburn's defensive system, not the other way around.

You can still do that, even with an offensive minded coach. Gus just needs to hire someone who can implement a 4-3 base defense. Heck, if we go to a 4-3, and put Justin Garrett at Sam LB, very little adjustment is needed from an LB perspective. We do need to totally revamp our secondary and our pass defense, but the basics and the recruiting we have done for CEJ's 4-2-5 work for a 4-3. We need to our new defensive staff to coach our players and to execute.

Archived