Per Jay G. Tate

DyeHardAllTheWay

I know this will not be a popular thought. But I'm not sure Muschamp is the right move for us.

He was a great DC for us before. But I think that had a lot to do with his youthful passion for the game. Remember how he would chest bump with the players after great plays?

I think his time at Texas and certainly with Florida has beaten that sort of passion out of him. He would be coming to us fresh off a very painful failure at FLA.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are plenty of boosters willing to donate money. Just saying.

That's pretty much the only way we'll afford a new DC worth his salt I'm afraid.

Sure would help if someone would hire Chizik, probably could swing 1.7-2 mill a year then.

I have also thought Chizik would make a good DC (somewhere). But not at Auburn. I think the situation would be too awkward for both Chizik and Gus.

I have also thought Chizik would make a good DC (somewhere). But not at Auburn. I think the situation would be too awkward for both Chizik and Gus.

I think the previous post was referring to the residual salary we're still paying Chizik being mitigated with his being hired by someone else.

Yes bryan...you are correct.

I guess I am just admitting to my initial thought making Chizik the DC. I don't know if people remember that Chizik was a very good DC prior to Muschamp at Auburn.

But like I said above, Chizik as a DC under Gus is not a good idea.

I know this will not be a popular thought. But I'm not sure Muschamp is the right move for us.

He was a great DC for us before. But I think that had a lot to do with his youthful passion for the game. Remember how he would chest bump with the players after great plays?

I think his time at Texas and certainly with Florida has beaten that sort of passion out of him. He would be coming to us fresh off a very painful failure at FLA.

He would be more determined than ever to prove himself. This is redemption time for him.

What we liked about Muschamp as a DC was his passion and chest bumping with players. If you watched the FSU Florida game that was the old Muschamp. While he was a Florida their D was always top of the shelf it was just the O that killed him at Florida. He would make a heck of a good DC at Auburn with the GUS O helping his Defense instead of hurting it.

If we do get him it won't be an overnight improvement like so many always think will happen. It takes time and recruiting to build a great D and the standards for Great D are different in todays game then in the past.

What we liked about Muschamp as a DC was his passion and chest bumping with players. If you watched the FSU Florida game that was the old Muschamp. While he was a Florida their D was always top of the shelf it was just the O that killed him at Florida. He would make a heck of a good DC at Auburn with the GUS O helping his Defense instead of hurting it.

If we do get him it won't be an overnight improvement like so many always think will happen. It takes time and recruiting to build a great D and the standards for Great D are different in todays game then in the past.

Problem with a guy like Muschamp who has been a HC is that he probably wants to be one again soon and would possibly be using AU as a stepping stool to a new HC job. We need some stability....someone who will be here more than 2 years.

I just don't see why he would go there over AU. No tradition, less talent, plus his roots are in AU.

Tradition, maybe. Talent.. they have us beat cold, especially defensive talent. Did you see that recruiting class they had last year and all the freshmen that played?

Problem with a guy like Muschamp who has been a HC is that he probably wants to be one again soon and would possibly be using AU as a stepping stool to a new HC job. We need some stability....someone who will be here more than 2 years.

In the coaching world 2 years is about the norm now. Gus can't afford to whiff on this one. Boom can come in and stabilize things and maybe by then, someone on the staff would be ready to step up and assume the role of DC or Gus can go out and find another candidate if need be.

If he can make our defense lights out for two years I'm down.

Agree. Very difficult to get a GOOD DC who has no aspirations of moving onward and upward. I liken coordinator positions to how my parents always discussed the acts at City Stages: Either on the way up, or on the way down, but only rarely do you manage to get them in the middle of their success.

If he can make our defense lights out for two years I'm down.

Agree. Very difficult to get a GOOD DC who has no aspirations of moving onward and upward. I liken coordinator positions to how my parents always discussed the acts at City Stages: Either on the way up, or on the way down, but only rarely do you manage to get them in the middle of their success.

If your coach's don't have aspirations to move up they prb wouldn't be the best anyways.

Awrigh ... I'll put it down. I am hesitant about muschamp. I don't have any facts or figures ... Just a general uneasiness.

I've only seen a couple people post this. People ... Give me the pros and cons of why he is/isn't a good hire. Personality and off field issues are off the table for the moment.

X's and O's ... Facts and figures.

What we liked about Muschamp as a DC was his passion and chest bumping with players.

Actually, I liked him because his defenses were really, really good. The antics were the icing, not the cake.

Awrigh ... I'll put it down. I am hesitant about muschamp. I don't have any facts or figures ... Just a general uneasiness.

I've only seen a couple people post this. People ... Give me the pros and cons of why he is/isn't a good hire. Personality and off field issues are off the table for the moment.

X's and O's ... Facts and figures.

Because Florida has the 5th best defense in the country despite having the 109th best offense.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/sort/totalYards

I like him because AU had some pretty good defenses his previous 2 years at AU (2006-2007) and he will not hesitate to get up in a player's face if that player messes up an assignment, and that's something the players need right now. Enough of this grandfatherly kindness BS, get someone in who will get in their grill and ream them a new one if they mess up. He also lets them know when they've done a good job as well. He also coached on the field, not in a pressbox. I assume he would do that again.

Archived