Per Jay G. Tate

DyeHardAllTheWay

Chavis at LSU gets $1.3 million

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/11/lsu_defensive_coordinator_chav.html

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- LSU athletic officials say defensive coordinator John Chavis has received a one-year extension through the 2015 season.

LSU spokesman Michael Bonnette says the extension pays Chavis the same $1.3 million salary he gets right now

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is my Birthday. Muschamp and Travaris Robinson would be a heck of a birthday present.

I keep reading a lot about getting T-Rob, but that would mean letting either Harbison or Smith go as they are our D back coaches. Any ideas if either are on thin ice?

$2 Million a year? Good grief, can AU afford that?

There will be folks here that say yes because they think we have unlimited funds and that financial issues are non factors. I'd say they would be wrong.

Let's just say that it is Muschamp. What do you all think his salary is?

I'd say at least one million. Johnson was 850,000 so Muschamp is worth more.

I think that's optimistic as hell. I'm betting that he's gonna be more around a $2M range. You gotta remember it's a proven commodity AND he's been courted. Not like Johnson coming off an 0-fer and being looked at as "past his prime".

Are you just pulling numbers out of the air? The highest paid coordinator last year was $1.3 million for Chad Morris. Hell Kirby Smart is only making $1.15 million. $1 million would put Muschamp in the top 5 of all the coordinators in the country. Not sure how that is being optimistic as hell?

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

There will be folks here that say yes because they think we have unlimited funds and that financial issues are non factors. I'd say they would be wrong.

I'm not saying it's something we can afford right now. I'm saying that's what I think others will be willing to offer/spend.

My only question is this. Why do coaches restrict their defensive plan to be 3-4 or 4-3 of 4-2-5? Why not recruit players and build schemes to implement any of those options at any time. You just train a few kids to be versitle. Rigidity in the concept of defense seems to open a team up for vulnerability. Same with offensive over focus.

They do. All coaches have a base defense that they work out of but they will change alignments and have players that can play more than one spot.

Is WM's Florida contract payout offsetting like CGC's? Offer Muschamp a $1.00 per year salary. He can rebuild his rep coaching for AU and leave for an HC job when the UF money runs out.

I'm not saying it's something we can afford right now. I'm saying that's what I think others will be willing to offer/spend.

No one will pay Will 2 mil. I'd bet he'd be happy with his buy out and 1 mil. He might get 1.1 mil. But not double

Let's just say that it is Muschamp. What do you all think his salary is?

I'd say at least one million. Johnson was 850,000 so Muschamp is worth more.

I think that's optimistic as hell. I'm betting that he's gonna be more around a $2M range. You gotta remember it's a proven commodity AND he's been courted. Not like Johnson coming off an 0-fer and being looked at as "past his prime".

Are you just pulling numbers out of the air? The highest paid coordinator last year was $1.3 million for Chad Morris. Hell Kirby Smart is only making $1.15 million. $1 million would put Muschamp in the top 5 of all the coordinators in the country. Not sure how that is being optimistic as hell?

Because I think he's one of the smartest defensive minds in the country, and I think aTm would be willing to spend in that range. I honestly think he will be the highest paid DC in the country before this carousel ends. I'd LOVE to be wrong, or somehow have this work where we can get him locked in. Just my opinion. There's always a highest paid in the country before there's a new one.

Is WM's Florida contract payout offsetting like CGC's? Offer Muschamp a $1.00 per year salary. He can rebuild his rep coaching for AU and leave for an HC job when the UF money runs out.

No. He can sit on an island in the middle of Logan Martin and get his money from Florida. Or he can get a coaching deal worth $5 mil a year and get his money from Florida. They're on the hook no matter what.

I'm not sure I'd go that far but give him $500,000 - $750,000 guaranteed plus an performance based incentives package that would max him out up around $1.5 million for a NCG win. That plus his Florida money would not be a bad package. If he proves that he can turn us back into a top D in the country for a few years then they can talk about $2 million guaranteed to keep him.

I could see a patchwork, team effort kinda thing between the defensive staff to get through the bowl game with Muschamp around the program and getting acclimated, accessing talent, planning etc. Could also start recruiting.

Harbison is listed as "Co-Defensive Coordinator". I would think the line share of the planning would fall on his shoulders. But it would be nice to have a new DC on board to watch, learn, and give input. For my money, I'm hoping for either Diaz or Pelini.

No. He can sit on an island in the middle of Logan Martin and get his money from Florida. Or he can get a coaching deal worth $5 mil a year and get his money from Florida. They're on the hook no matter what.

That seems like a really poorly planned contract (from UF's perspective).

These buyouts have gotten out of control.

:laugh: Yeah, that would not offend him in any way.

And I thought JJ agreed to some ridiculous contracts. How in the hell did Foley let himself get roped into that one?

I could see a patchwork, team effort kinda thing between the defensive staff to get through the bowl game with Muschamp around the program and getting acclimated, accessing talent, planning etc. Could also start recruiting.

Harbison is listed as "Co-Defensive Coordinator". I would think the line share of the planning would fall on his shoulders. But it would be nice to have a new DC on board to watch, learn, and give input. For my money, I'm hoping for either Diaz or Pelini.

OMGOSH he is listed as Co- He needs to go too

The title is probably more for a salary boost than anything else. RG has the title of assistant HC. Craig is Co- offensive coordinator. I don't think he is that involved in the offensive game plan, at least not any more than any of the other position coaches.

Muschamp is not coming to AU. I have been wrong before...

Today is my Birthday. Muschamp and Travaris Robinson would be a heck of a birthday present.

I keep reading a lot about getting T-Rob, but that would mean letting either Harbison or Smith go as they are our D back coaches. Any ideas if either are on thin ice?

Did you see our secondary play the last half of the season? I don't know if the ice these coaches are on is thin, but I can't imagine that it's overly thick. I expect the new DC will have something to say about who the position coaches on defense are gonna be.

Archived