Alabama vs Mississippi HS All Star Game

around4ever

Wow. Alabama makes a huge mistake spiking the ball out of the shotgun formation. That's a penalty for Intentional Grounding. Takes alabama out of FG range, and on 2nd and 19, they throw deep to the endzone and its caught for a touchdown. Final Alabama All Stars wins it 36-30 over Mississippi All Stars

Even I knew you couldn't spike it from the shotgun... Awesome though

I know it has always been the rule but why? What is the difference in shotgun and being under center?

Wow. Alabama makes a huge mistake spiking the ball out of the shotgun formation. That's a penalty for Intentional Grounding. Takes alabama out of FG range, and on 2nd and 19, they throw deep to the endzone and its caught for a touchdown. Final Alabama All Stars wins it 36-30 over Mississippi All Stars

I know it has always been the rule but why? What is the difference in shotgun and being under center?

it's just the rule.

Just like its the rule that if the RB takes the hand off and steps back to throw and under pressure throws it away to avoid the sack, its intentional grounding since the rule for throwing the ball away only applies to the player that took the snap.

Besides, common sense would tell you to get under center and take the direct snap in this situation anyway. Why would you want the extra delay of the ball getting from the center to a QB that's 3 yards deep?

it's just the rule.

Just like its the rule that if the RB takes the hand off and steps back to throw and under pressure throws it away to avoid the sack, its intentional grounding since the rule for throwing the ball away only applies to the player that took the snap.

Besides, common sense would tell you to get under center and take the direct snap in this situation anyway. Why would you want the extra delay of the ball getting from the center to a QB that's 3 yards deep?

I agree with you on the common sense but if a team runs strictly from shotgun, the exchange from center to QB under center may not go smoothly. But then again, that my look like a spike also.

it's just the rule.

I agree with you on the common sense but if a team runs strictly from shotgun, the exchange from center to QB under center may not go smoothly. But then again, that my look like a spike also.

The issue is the coaches have to know what the rules are and teach the QB what the rules are. They should be practicing a center/QB exchange in practice regardless of what kind of offense they run for this very reason. I can almost guarantee you that the QB today has had to spike the ball before to stop the clock and he should have known what the rule is. He's not a freshman. :lol:

Archived