This team reminds me of 2003

DyeHardAllTheWay

All I know is that the coaching on both sides this year was terrible. Last year we were involved in two out of this world miracle plays that kept us from a 9-3 season. If we don't finish with at least 10 wins next season, Gus should be on the hot seat. He reminds me of Brady Hoke right now.

you need to go to the other state teams blog. You sound just like them. By the way there were two great plays that save AU from defeats. One was vs UGA. The other was not UAT. Tell me the other. Without your I phone or computer. Red belly.

MSU stop at the goal line?

We know that is the play. Bama fans are convinced that they lost the AU game on the kick off return. That game was over when AU tied it, thus the miracle field goal try. I bet old bama boy wouldn't have known if you hadn't told him. WDE!

What about the missed FG's that helped aid the game-tying touchdown and the kick 6? I bet Bama fans felt like they should have won that game. Ya know, like in an ironic twist of fate, Auburn fans felt they should have won the State and A&M games.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every year their are several plays that change the course of a season. If we do not have the turnovers at the begining if the state game and ended up winning the year may be completely diffrent. If we had hit the field goal againt whisky, or not had the fumle our bad snap against A&M things would be diffrent. Not even to mention if we had beat Bama. Which was not far from happening. Point is we were not far from talking about how great gus was this year instead questioning him. Most of the time it takes three or four years for a coach to get his guys in and show what he can do. I think next year will tell alot, but I am very happy so far.

There's a lot of NFL talent on this team as well. Sammie and Duke (when he leaves) will be higher draft picks than any WR on the 2003 team. Dismukes is a clear NFL guy; he's likely not alone. Nick and CAP will be drafted. Blackson and Wright likely will be as well. Frost and Cass have a chance to go higher than any LB at Auburn since Dansby and Thomas. Jones looks like an NFL CB.

It's not steeped in first rounders the way the 2003 team was (Dansby, Williams, Brown, Rogers, Campbell, and Grubbs... even though he played sparingly), but it'll probably have a similar number of NFL draft picks, especially if you include Lawson.

Why would Blackson get drafted?

All I know is that the coaching on both sides this year was terrible. Last year we were involved in two out of this world miracle plays that kept us from a 9-3 season. If we don't finish with at least 10 wins next season, Gus should be on the hot seat. He reminds me of Brady Hoke right now.

Blasphemy. to the bolded. Agree with the rest. Auburn capitalized on other team's blunders. What's even more laughable is how posters will say the Georgia game wasn't luck because Auburn should never have been in that position to begin with. Then, apply the exact opposite logic to the State and A&M games.

If the refs had gotten it right in the UGA game, we would not have had to depend the miracle pass play. I watched the replay of the UGA TD that put them ahead at least 25 times, and the QB did not score all 25 times. This should have been caught. The announcers were questioning this as well.

The bammer game was not a miracle whatsoever. We tied the game with great offensive play. Saban did not want this game to go into overtime. The FG was turned into a smart play on our part that resulted in us winning that game. We beat Mizzou in a game where we were the better team. Last year was no fluke, just great play all season.

Blasphemy. to the bolded. Agree with the rest. Auburn capitalized on other team's blunders. What's even more laughable is how posters will say the Georgia game wasn't luck because Auburn should never have been in that position to begin with. Then, apply the exact opposite logic to the State and A&M games.

If the refs had gotten it right in the UGA game, we would not have had to depend the miracle pass play. I watched the replay of the UGA TD that put them ahead at least 25 times, and the QB did not score all 25 times. This should have been caught. The announcers were questioning this as well.

The bammer game was not a miracle whatsoever. We tied the game with great offensive play. Saban did not want this game to go into overtime. The FG was turned into a smart play on our part that resulted in us winning that game. We beat Mizzou in a game where we were the better team. Last year was no fluke, just great play all season.

UGA should never have been in position to score that TD to begin with. Between the defense doing it's thing and Gus letting his foot off the gas too soon that's where we ended up.

Only one realy blowout this year. Not so much in 2011.

True. We won the close ones and got blown out several times.

I am thinking about the downhill direction of the team, discipline issues, player related tragedy, issues within the coaching staff, and overall disappointment not living up to expectations.

There's a lot of NFL talent on this team as well. Sammie and Duke (when he leaves) will be higher draft picks than any WR on the 2003 team. Dismukes is a clear NFL guy; he's likely not alone. Nick and CAP will be drafted. Blackson and Wright likely will be as well. Frost and Cass have a chance to go higher than any LB at Auburn since Dansby and Thomas. Jones looks like an NFL CB.

It's not steeped in first rounders the way the 2003 team was (Dansby, Williams, Brown, Rogers, Campbell, and Grubbs... even though he played sparingly), but it'll probably have a similar number of NFL draft picks, especially if you include Lawson.

Why would Blackson or Wright be drafted???

Oh easy answer, Blackson was productive, and he's been productive for years. Big body. Physical player. Before the season one NFL scout was quoted as saying Auburn prospects looked better than Bama. Hes going to get a lot of looks.

Gabe is a tougher call. He's somewhat positionless, but I suspect 3-4 teams will give him a long look at DE. He can definitely make disruptive plays. He's just not an every down player.

Blackson was our best defensive lineman. I'll be really surprised if he goes undrafted.

Oh easy answer, Blackson was productive, and he's been productive for years. Big body. Physical player. Before the season one NFL scout was quoted as saying Auburn prospects looked better than Bama. Hes going to get a lot of looks.

Gabe is a tougher call. He's somewhat positionless, but I suspect 3-4 teams will give him a long look at DE. He can definitely make disruptive plays. He's just not an every down player.

Blackson was our best defensive lineman. I'll be really surprised if he goes undrafted.

Neither one has made ALL SEC, 1st or 2nd team, let alone be in position to be drafted. 2003 team had much more NFL talent than this team, but it is hard to project 4 years in the future but I just don't see much NFL talent on this 2014 roster. Other than Duke, CAP and Jones (if he continues to improve).

You're kidding right? Dismukes, Marshall, Young, Coates? Nothing? Seriously? Lawson, Frost, McKinzy? You don't see NFL talent? You're either not looking or out of your mind. Those are just the easy names from this year's roster in addition to the three you named.

I thought the same thing but the 2003 team had a lot of NFL talent on the squad. Much more talented than this years team.

That's debatable. A lot of these guys were highly sought after and are talented. Our defense was missing a key piece that we all knew was going to impact us at the beginning of the season. Our D had almost zero pass rush. We had a lot of players trying to create a pass rush forcing others to do more.

Lol at Ole Miss's D after key injuries. TCU ran through them rather at will like. I'm .02

You're kidding right? Dismukes, Marshall, Young, Coates? Nothing? Seriously? Lawson, Frost, McKinzy? You don't see NFL talent? You're either not looking or out of your mind. Those are just the easy names from this year's roster in addition to the three you named.

I missed Dismukes and Coates, obviously. The rest, well maybe you have drank a bit too much kool-aide. 2003>>>2014

2003 was the bigger dissappointment, much more talented, got to thank Ensminger and Nall!! That Defense was more talented then 04. The offense had, Brown, Campbell, Caddillac, Aramashadu and Obamanu, Brandon Jacobs, Courtney Taylor etc. oh defense Rosegreen, Rodgers, Dansby, Thomas, jay Ratliff, etc that's just a few NFL players I could think of from the team.

If Petrino stuck around we'd of won the NT

Why would Blackson or Wright be drafted???

Because even the NFL makes mistakes sometimes ... They will have to get ALOT MORE out of em

Oh, good, another "Let's get a few more shots in on our outgoing players before they leave" thread.

Nothing says "Thanks for what you did for Auburn" like "The NFL is stupid if they hire you".

They're done. They don't play for Auburn any more. They did what they could for the program and now they are moving on to live their lives. Your critiques are (even more) useless and, now, inappropriate.

So we would have lost the iron bowl 28-28 that year?

I'm just saying if you take the Orange and blue glasses off, last year's team was the luckiest to play in the national championship game ever besides the 2007 LSU team. Gus has a lot to prove before he can be considered in the upper echelon of SEC coaches and this year did not look favorable towards him. Even Mike DuBose can win an SEC title.

I'm just saying if you take the Orange and blue glasses off, last year's team was the luckiest to play in the national championship game ever besides the 2007 LSU team. Gus has a lot to prove before he can be considered in the upper echelon of SEC coaches and this year did not look favorable towards him. Even Mike DuBose can win an SEC title.

Agreed.... It begins in 3...2...

If my guy DyeHard thinks 2013 Auburn was the second luckiest team in the history of the BCS national championship games, he doesn't remember the OSU team that had multiple incredibly flukey wins followed by a non-PI call in overtime of the national championship (2002); the Nebraska team that had 70 hung on them in the Big 12 title game (actually 62, but what's 8 points among friends?) and backed into the national title game (2001); or the Oklahoma team that almost got shut out in the Big 12 title game and backed into the national title game (2003). Those teams were far luckier than Auburn was last season.

The ball bouncing your way in a few games is always the difference between a real magical season and a so-so one.

Luck always plays a part. You always have to work hard, believe in and practice teamwork, and be given the right tools and the chance to succeed. But as anyone who has had a successful career knows, sometimes being in the right place at the right time, makes all of the difference.

Archived